Thread: Priorities

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The OP named this thread correctly, but he is calling out the wrong people. Its the people bitching and moaning about A FREAKING FACEBOOK POST that was SUPPOSED TO BE FUN are the ones need to get their priorities straight.

Seriously, its a fucking facebook post. Chill the fuck out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post
    On a related note, I was just directed to one of the most depressing discoveries made about the Fleets and their development:

Why they would change the very meaning of what it means to be social in the Star Wars universe is beyond me. Include that with sitting in chairs and the RP'ers wouldn't have been able to contain themselves.

Quote is from: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cf...891478#4891478
    Then you probably shouldn't read Rich & Dallas's comments about developing TOR.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/08/be...t-the-problem/

Basically six years of poorly managed development coming down to ten months of crunch time. All part of what makes TOR so fascinating. It had so much going for it. Even developers who certainly should have known better. Now TOR is hardly the only game that had development issues. Many do. TOR's scale was just so much bigger.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Seriously, its a fucking facebook post. Chill the fuck out.
    Hmm. Considering that the 'defense' most of the people who are so angry about this use is that it is Facebook, you should just ignore it is pretty ridiculous.

The overall point is to use that as a launchpoint into the overall ineffectiveness of their communication. Each outlet is not a different, special space to which you can communicate while disregarding what your other people are doing. You have PR TEAMS for a reason. This is just a great representation of how they aren't doing a good job right now. A simple intro of, "We're working hard to get some more exciting information regarding F2P, but in the meantime....insert silly ass questions here." It just goes to further cement they have nothing to say because jack shit is going on.

Quit focusing on the one comment, or the fact that it is 'silly'. People have been asking for more information since the announcement. In this day and age, if you want someone's money you better put up or shut up. They aren't doing either.

@Thorgi: Considering that Facebook is arguably the way they reach the most people, you would think they would understand that using that page for better communication would serve them well. I am one to say their use of these forms of communication is fine. Everything doesn't have to be splashed in a launcher, or have multiple Official Forum posts, but things should synch better. It's kinda like if after some terrorist attacks and people want to know what is going on, but the News cuts to a local story about a dancing otter.

(obviously this is hyperbole, but it's related)
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2012-10-16 at 04:51 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Hmm. Considering that the 'defense' most of the people who are so angry about this use is that it is Facebook, you should just ignore it is pretty ridiculous.

The overall point is to use that as a launchpoint into the overall ineffectiveness of their communication. Each outlet is not a different, special space to which you can communicate while disregarding what your other people are doing. You have PR TEAMS for a reason. This is just a great representation of how they aren't doing a good job right now. A simple intro of, "We're working hard to get some more exciting information regarding F2P, but in the meantime....insert silly ass questions here." It just goes to further cement they have nothing to say because jack shit is going on.

Quit focusing on the one comment, or the fact that it is 'silly'. People have been asking for more information since the announcement. In this day and age, if you want someone's money you better put up or shut up. They aren't doing either.

@Thorgi: Considering that Facebook is arguably the way they reach the most people, you would think they would understand that using that page for better communication would serve them well. I am one to say their use of these forms of communication is fine. Everything doesn't have to be splashed in a launcher, or have multiple Official Forum posts, but things should synch better. It's kinda like if after some terrorist attacks and people want to know what is going on, but the News cuts to a local story about a dancing otter.

(obviously this is hyperbole, but it's related)
    What people seem to love to ignore is the position that EA/BioWare (or any other MMO company) are in with regards to releasing information. The way the playerbase dissects every word of every post/announcemnet/update makes in terribly difficult to release preliminary info for fear that it is taken as gospel and then used as the basis for every argument after its relaese if something changes. The cries of "but you said..." and people dragging saved, quoted texts out of their 'archives' as a means to dismiss or invalidate a future point of view. Look at the way a simple QotD has fuelled a backlash.

What I'm hearing is "My game is down and want to play and I can't so you guys suck!" That mantra that is as old as MMO's and the boards that discuss them. With the extended maintenance does anyone truly believe that if they had even a tidbit more info to shut up the howling for game crowd, that they wouldn't post it? But they can't becasue if it changes by one letter, one syllable...they are accused of lying or misleading the playerbase.

It's our bed folks, now shut up and sleep in it...or go play something else while you wait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyB View Post
    What people seem to love to ignore is the position that EA/BioWare (or any other MMO company) are in with regards to releasing information. The way the playerbase dissects every word of every post/announcemnet/update makes in terribly difficult to release preliminary info for fear that it is taken as gospel and then used as the basis for every argument after its relaese if something changes. The cries of "but you said..." and people dragging saved, quoted texts out of their 'archives' as a means to dismiss or invalidate a future point of view. Look at the way a simple QotD has fuelled a backlash.

It's our bed folks, now shut up and sleep in it...or go play something else while you wait.
    You are very out of touch with the issue it would seem. Their communication hasn't only been an example of suggesting or hinting at something. It has literally said x will equal y and then it actually equals -y. As in, the complete opposite of what they have said. They have changed legal specifics on a whim, without notifying anyone, that correlates to earning Cartel Coins. This issue has been discussed in depth.

Additionally, they have directly stated that F2P would happen in November and we have heard crickets since the initial announcement. That is the reason why I, and others, think asking questions about renaming the Fleet is a waste of all of our time. There are now more people who have left and could possibly return than there are people still playing the game. This and even beyond is their target market in order to preserve the game.

They are doing a terrible job of showing that.

You are very out of touch with the issue it would seem. Their communication hasn't only been an example of suggesting or hinting at something. It has literally said x will equal y and then it actually equals -y. As in, the complete opposite of what they have said. They have changed legal specifics on a whim, without notifying anyone, that correlates to earning Cartel Coins. This issue has been discussed in depth.

Additionally, they have directly stated that F2P would happen in November and we have heard crickets since the initial announcement. That is the reason why I, and others, think asking questions about renaming the Fleet is a waste of all of our time. There are now more people who have left and could possibly return than there are people still playing the game. This and even beyond is their target market in order to preserve the game.

They are doing a terrible job of showing that.
    Not out of touch at all. I just realize that the ToS that we all have to accept to play means they can change the game how they see fit. Your ongoing campaign to somehow hold EA/BioWare accountable for making changes to their property is a waste of time. Vote with your wallet/purse and move on if it vexes you so badly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vote with your wallet/purse and move on if it vexes you so badly.
    That is easy to say and difficult to do, especially when you have a game with a good IP and massive potential. Its frustrating because of the would-ofs, could-ofs, and should-ofs. This is also a side effect of being a passionate player. I remember reading an article from a marketing guy regarding the ME3 ending incident where he described this type of customer as a "Zealot". It was a derogatory term either, because this type of customer is more useful to the company than any advertising because he will Champion your title and spread word wherever he goes. But he is also a double edged sword because this customer's passion can also flip if the company abuses him (whether real or perceived). Bioware got a taste of this with ME3 and all the negative PR their "zealots" produced. Again, all that negativity was born from people who LOVED the franchise and LOVED the series. In essence, they "hated" because they cared. =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Not out of touch at all. I just realize that the ToS that we all have to accept to play means they can change the game how they see fit. Your ongoing campaign to somehow hold EA/BioWare accountable for making changes to their property is a waste of time. Vote with your wallet/purse and move on if it vexes you so badly.
    I'm sorry, but I didn't sign a ToS that pertained to Cartel Coins and as such your logic does not apply. Additionally, this is a thread that is discussing the importance of great communication even when changes are made. Not silence other than fluff.

Your ongoing campaign to promote EA/Bioware and release them from accountability for making poor choices, backtracking on stated content and game management, and not communicating any of it is a waste of time. Vote with your wallet and move on if my opinion vexes you so badly.

Your ongoing campaign to promote EA/Bioware and release them from accountability for making poor choices, backtracking on stated content and game management, and not communicating any of it is a waste of time.
    I actually went to wiki to make sure that John Riccitiecllo's middle name didn't start with a B.

Then again... the B could start for Bioware.

o_O

*goes to make a conspiracy blog*
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    I actually went to wiki to make sure that John Riccitiecllo's middle name didn't start with a B.

Then again... the B could start for Bioware.

o_O

Grassy Knoll, Grassy Knoll!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Ooh...hadn't thought of that. That would be an awfully weird avatar though. We are in some strange EA dystopia now though...anything is possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ooh...hadn't thought of that. That would be an awfully weird avatar though. We are in some strange EA dystopia now though...anything is possible.
    Yeah, if it was Johnny the coffin should say "Origin" instead of Osama.

I'm sorry, but I didn't sign a ToS that pertained to Cartel Coins and as such your logic does not apply. Additionally, this is a thread that is discussing the importance of great communication even when changes are made. Not silence other than fluff.

Your ongoing campaign to promote EA/Bioware and release them from accountability for making poor choices, backtracking on stated content and game management, and not communicating any of it is a waste of time. Vote with your wallet and move on if my opinion vexes you so badly.
    If you are playing SWTOR you did agree. If you are not playing, then you will have to accept the ToS to start. It seems I have to point it out for you:

6. Updates to the Service; Notices.

Terms of Service for new TOR Services and important changes to existing services will be posted at the TOR site. You agree to check here periodically for new information and terms that govern your use of TOR Services. BioWare and LucasArts reserve the right to modify the Terms of Service at any time. Revisions to terms affecting existing TOR Services shall be effective thirty (30) days after posting the new Terms of Service. Terms for new TOR Services are effective immediately. If you do not agree to the new terms, or to any of the terms in this Terms of Service, your only remedy is to not use TOR Services and to cancel your Account or applicable subscriptions.

Emphasis is mine.

Again, if you are playing you agreed and have the choice of remedy at any time. Pretty clear communication I'd say.

I think Imp fleet should be called the Dark Playroom and Pub fleet the Happy Fun Zone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Revisions to terms affecting existing TOR Services shall be effective thirty (30) days after posting the new Terms of Service. Terms for new TOR Services are effective immediately.
    See this is where you get the toss up. What is the definition of a 'new' service? If they have already told us about something, surely it can't be new anymore? Does 'new' start only when it is literally implemented inside of the game environment? That's pretty vague. No one knows, it is up for legal debate.

So just from what you quoted, already I seem to have a legal footing to claim they broke their own TOS agreement by changing the distribution of Cartel Coins. Not to mention that Federal law will supercede anything they draw up, regardless of how angry you want to get over this. False advertisement is the first line that could be taken. As such, there are several 'remedies' to this situation going beyond discontinued use of the service.

Thank you for wasting our time!

Edit:
    Considering that you attempted to make this somehow connected to the topic, I'll let you in on a secret. Having disclaimers and tiny walls of text within TOS agreements are not accepted as 'good communication'. Just an FYI, since you seem to unaware.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2012-10-17 at 09:05 PM.

I actually took the time to have a look at a sampling of your post history and the post above pretty much sums it up your...oh let's call it...point of view. Since attacks on other forum participants are frowned upon, I bid you good day and goodbye sir/ma'am.

No matter what we think it's their game and they do with it what they like. I think they got the wrong priorities and apparantly so does 1,3m other players.

The problem with me and the 1,3m other players is; we all want different things. Making it hard for BW to satisfy the whole group. So they went with option J; Try to cater to everyone except the hardcore min maxers that you can grow a community around. The players that beat the hard bosses that every new player wants to be like. A big explorable, living world that you discover new stuff in a year after release.

F2P won't save this game, it's gonna take alot more and seeing they fire everyone in charge at BW I doubt they will ever have the consistency to actually change this game for the better. Yes, Daniel Ericsson, Stephen Reid and all the other are just people. People that screwed up and should be held accountable for it but first you should let them try and change bad results into good results.

I haven't seen if they have replaced them, and I wouldn't know who replaced them cuz I stopped following this game actively about a month ago after I cancelled my subscription. I had planned to stay subbed for a year (Dec11-Dec12) and give this game a fair chance but I got impatient with them making cockup after cockup and decided my money was better spent on GW2's cash shop. Not that GW2 is an amazing game either, it's just heart event after heart event for your run-of-the-mill PVE'er but at least they are honest about what they are.

I have now decided that for me SWTOR was a big let down and I impatiently await the next Sci-Fi/Fantasy game; Wildstar. Hoping they will make a good game and stay true to the core MMO'er; the hardcore PVE player.

Bastards...
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post

Bastards...
    Wut...didn't they have like, a guy who talked at great length about how they know everything about their in-game economy? I mean, I can kinda see how this would be a "fun" question for people to throw around their e-peen and all, but that just seems like a strange thing to ask IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Wut...didn't they have like, a guy who talked at great length about how they know everything about their in-game economy? I mean, I can kinda see how this would be a "fun" question for people to throw around their e-peen and all, but that just seems like a strange thing to ask IMO.
    Probably trying to figure out how to implement higher credit sinks to make everyone broke so they have to turn to the Coin shop to get anything. I'm being partially sarcastic, but part of me believes what I just wrote too.

Probably trying to figure out how to implement higher credit sinks to make everyone broke so they have to turn to the Coin shop to get anything. I'm being partially sarcastic, but part of me believes what I just wrote too.
    Sounds like the BMAH.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.