Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    I agree, going from an over clocked 560 to a 660 ti is not worth the money...that's like what, 250 bucks for ~10 fps?...wait until the 7 series or go 680 if you want to see a noticeable difference.
    yeah getting 100-120fps sux when vsync was off sux! what about the 670 with a 23'? cuz that 680 is a lil high.

---------- Post added 2012-10-15 at 08:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaith View Post
    RAM is EXTREMELY cheap nowadays, it's not a question of price really, as of today 16 gig of good ram costs a bit over 100 dollars so you might aswell get it.
    lol ikr i just got the 16gb cuz i was doing to much stuff and i kept on running out of ram. just running wow, powervd, firefox and torrents its taking up 7gb of ram. i kid you not.

Quote Originally Posted by c0rnel View Post
    I'd save the money and go with the new nvidia card coming out by the end of this year. Until then upgrade the cpu and get a ssd.
    That is a bold statement, care to back it up?

But no, i would never go for 16GB without actually needing it. I have an i5-2500k and a 7970 because they have value, performance vise. The difference between 8 and 16GB of ram carries no performance value what so ever. So you are basically throwing 50 Dollars out the window, for components you can very easily buy later when/if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by MMKing View Post
    That is a bold statement, care to back it up?

But no, i would never go for 16GB without actually needing it. I have an i5-2500k and a 7970 because they have value, performance vise. The difference between 8 and 16GB of ram carries no performance value what so ever. So you are basically throwing 50 Dollars out the window, for components you can very easily buy later when/if necessary.
    1. did u just read my post i have 8gb of ram and I ran out so what are you talking about?

ill re post here!
    i just got the 16gb cuz i was doing to much stuff and i kept on running out of ram. just running wow, powervd, firefox and torrents its taking up 7gb of ram. i kid you not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dydric View Post
    i just got the 16gb cuz i was doing to much stuff and i kept on running out of ram. just running wow, powervd, firefox and torrents its taking up 7gb of ram. i kid you not.
    Don't confuse between RAM free and RAM available. Even some high profile tech reporters have made the same mistake. Windows uses 2-3 GB for disc caching if the RAM is not used for anything else, and can drop it in milliseconds if some program requests it.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

QUOTE=Dydric;18762877]lol ikr i just got the 16gb cuz i was doing to much stuff and i kept on running out of ram. just running wow, powervd, firefox and torrents its taking up 7gb of ram. i kid you not.
    No, you weren't.

Why are you on here arguing with people trying to help you when you asked for help? A little embarrassed you're wasting all this money and trying to justify your decision?

I do alot of stuff at the same time. I encode videos, game, surf the web with multiple windows up at the same time, several programs running all the time (including Auto CAD) and often I multibox. I can easily use 12-14GB RAM without even trying. If you are a gamer and does little but game, you will never ever exceed 6GB of used RAM making 16GB completely overkill. However if you don't care about spending extra money, I can't see a reason for anyone not to have 16GB RAM installed, it's not gonna bust your budget if you don't have one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adsertif View Post
    Honestly over 8GB is overkill if all you're doing is playing games, GTX560Ti would have been a better GPU to buy, too.
    I wouldn't say is overkill, it gives you headroom and considering 8GB dimms are cheap anyway why not go for it.

@OP Unless you experience slugish performance id say save up for next years components that will hit the shelfs.

---------- Post added 2012-10-16 at 01:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    I do alot of stuff at the same time. I encode videos, game, surf the web with multiple windows up at the same time, several programs running all the time (including Auto CAD) and often I multibox. I can easily use 12-14GB RAM without even trying. If you are a gamer and does little but game, you will never ever exceed 6GB of used RAM making 16GB completely overkill. However if you don't care about spending extra money, I can't see a reason for anyone not to have 16GB RAM installed, it's not gonna bust your budget if you don't have one.
    Well last I heard multiple dimms can throttleback your overclocking capabilities so that is another reason why 16GB+ RAM might not be a good option. Of course there are 8GB dimms so that defeats my point above (unless you are getting 32GB).
    -K

1. did u just read my post i have 8gb of ram and I ran out so what are you talking about?

ill re post here!
    My post was not targeted directly at the issues you are having. But as general advice. But since you are quoting me and then replying, i can only assume that you are in fact targeting your post as a direct response to mine.

Let me quote my own post, to support what i am about to write. Post number 22.

''But no, i would never go for 16GB without actually needing it.''

My advice explicitly targeted people that did not need 16GB. So maybe you should take your own advice (bolded out in the quote). Before you embarrass yourself on the internet.

Since you have 8GB of memory, and you ran out (read underlined part of the quote) you obviously need more RAM. Thus you should disregard my advice, since you actually need it.

You should also take another look at Windows Task Manager. The more RAM you have available, the more will be distributed and used by Windows. As you require more and more, Windows will free up RAM more.

In my example, i have 8175 MB total, 4500 is Cached, 5700 is Available for use and only 1300 is completely unused. Notice that 4500 + 5700 + 1300 is far beyond my total. That is because windows is using more than strictly required. To roughly calculate my used RAM. 8175 - 5700 = 2475MB used.
    Last edited by MMKing; 2012-10-17 at 03:05 AM.

Deleted
    Better upgrading your cpu before other things imo, No point loading the pc up with top end gpu and loads of ram when running an old Phenom x4.

As simple as what everyone's said. You're fine (beyond fine) on ram. Focus on a new cpu.

I fail to understand why people buy so much Ram....

If you want to think about the future (so few years) go with 8, if you want to just think about now go with 4 (yes it is enough).

Whats the point in having multiply games open when you don't even play it.

And don't come with stuff like ''programming'' because if your a programmer then I kind of doubt you should be asking for advice. And just because it is cheap doesn't mean you should put ton of ram in it, better buy something more usefull with your money then excess stuff.

I have never used up my 8GB, only when stress testing.
    Playing since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    I fail to understand why people buy so much Ram....

If you want to think about the future (so few years) go with 8, if you want to just think about now go with 4 (yes it is enough).

Whats the point in having multiply games open when you don't even play it.

And don't come with stuff like ''programming'' because if your a programmer then I kind of doubt you should be asking for advice. And just because it is cheap doesn't mean you should put ton of ram in it, better buy something more usefull with your money then excess stuff.
    People buy so much RAM because unless all they do on a computer is games and youtube, you will actually need a bit of it. Now, anything over 16GB will be waaaaaay overkill for 995/1000, but there is always the 5/1000

Quote Originally Posted by c0rnel View Post
    I'd save the money and go with the new nvidia card coming out by the end of this year. Until then upgrade the cpu and get a ssd.
    Assuming the 700 series release plays out as it has in the past, the top card, the 780 will release in March, followed by the 770 and the 760 Ti in the summer.

On the flip side, you can expect the top end AMD card, the 8970 to release sometime during Christmas time. However, you may have to wait until Q1-Q2 for the $200-300 cards (8850, 8870) to release.