320Crit gem vs 80int 160crit gem

Hey guys, I'm seeing some guides for Boomkins suggesting that 320Crit Gems r actually better than the orange 80int+160crit. Since when did we start gemming pure secondary stats instead of our main stats which is INT. Any advice or calculations would be really appreciated.

15+ Year Old Account
    we started gemming secondairy stats when blizzard double them in value on gems
    you can only get +160 int on 1 gem, and you can get 320 crit on a single gem

i am not a boomking so i dont know what is better for you, but i am seeying a similer thing as a bear tank where +320 dodge gens are better then +180 agi gems
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Read Sunfyre's guide
    5.0 Stat Weights
    Intellect: 1.00
    Spirit/Hit 1.04
    Spellpower: 0.76
    Critical Strike: 0.67
    Haste: 0.54 (post breakpoint)
    Mastery: 0.54

6.0 Gems
    Brilliant Primordial Ruby- 160*1 = 160
    Potent Vermillion Onyx- 80*1=80 + 160*0.67=107.2 == 187.2
    Smooth Sun's Radiance- 320*0.67= 214.4

so I've done some research and saw some top boomkins gemming bascially they go 320crit on yellow socket, 160spirit+160crit on blue and pure int on red socket. Is this how its supposed to be done?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tinykin View Post
    so I've done some research and saw some top boomkins gemming bascially they go 320crit on yellow socket, 160spirit+160crit on blue and pure int on red socket. Is this how its supposed to be done?
    Not exactly , on Red sockets you use potent gem ; 80 int + 160 crit.

Quote Originally Posted by tinykin View Post
    My gemming:
    Meta: Spirit
    Yellow: Crit
    Blue: Spirit Crit
    Red: Crit Expertise(=Hit)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    My gemming:
    Meta: Spirit
    Yellow: Crit
    Blue: Spirit Crit
    Red: Crit Expertise(=Hit)
    I agree with your meta choice. I'm surprised more guides don't recommend it. Especially since it's one of the cheaper metas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gemming pure secondary stats gives an effective 54 intellect bonus over straight int gems. However if the socket bonus is.more than 54 intellect you should.use orange int/crit gems
    >(^v^)< <(^v^)> >(^v^)< <(^v^)> ^(^v^)v v(^v^)^ ^(^v^)v <(^v^<) <(___)> (>^v^)> <(^v^)> >(^v^)< ^(^v^)v v(^v^)^
    - Moonkin Dance: It's better than yours

My Armory

Which basically means that, if the socket bonus is int, you'll always want to get it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwormjim View Post
    I agree with your meta choice. I'm surprised more guides don't recommend it. Especially since it's one of the cheaper metas.
    The spirit meta can give you better reforge options, but you really have to know what you're doing to utilize it properly. Generally guides are for people with no idea how to play a class, and at that point it's generally not a safer option.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfyre View Post
    The spirit meta can give you better reforge options, but you really have to know what you're doing to utilize it properly. Generally guides are for people with no idea how to play a class, and at that point it's generally not a safer option.
    Fair enough.