Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Zombie Survival Discussion!

Yes, we all know that the chance of there being a zombie apocalypse is very slim. Nevertheless, there is still a possibility of it happening, and in such an event we would definitely want to be prepared as best we can. This thread is for us to discuss how a zombie apocalypse might pan out, the scenarios that might arise, and the tactics to survive any of these eventualities. Everything from weaponry, combat tactics, food, resources, shelter, vehicles & transport, fuel, group size and structure, cures, apocalypse psychology, pre-preparation and so forth.

While this is obviously a fun topic, and also not very likely to happen, it is still an actual discussion to prepare for a zombie apocalypse. So please try to be at least a little realistic with your contributions. That is to say, suggestions that are actually likely to help our survival.

-Let's discuss zombie survival!

Mosquitoes would spread the virus like Miliria, they would bite zombies, then bite the uninfected, then the uninfected would become zombies.
    We lose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whenn traveling in a group check everyone for bites.

here is always that one guy wo hides it thenn turns inside your hideout and tries to eat your brain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iadamson View Post
    Mosquitoes would spread the virus like Miliria, they would bite zombies, then bite the uninfected, then the uninfected would become zombies.
    We lose.
    Mosquitoes don't feed on dead bodies so they wouldn't feed on zombies.

Deleted
    I know its a big fetish among us geeks to hope, perhaps a little guiltily, that some day the zombie apocalypse will come and though, while the hypothetical notion fascinates me and I love contemplating the "what if?"s and "what would I do?"s, I really hope that the dead dawn never comes!

Still, its fun to look into the survival guides etc. I find bug-out bags really interesting. Not got one myself but it's fun to check out what people put in theirs.

This is a pretty nifty 3-part video from a dude who I think is probably the least crazy survival guy I have seen:

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll join the zombies, they will win sooner or later so I prefer to end that fast, also I wonder if they keep brain (pun intended) after being zombified, will we communicate, have parties?
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Deleted
    Ok, in case of the zombie apocalypse we do need to prepare indeed.

I mean, we'll be zombies and our only source of food will outsmart us and have better weapons and vehicles. So, we need to devise simple plans to capture our food with limited to no tools. Fortunately many people already are as smart as zombies, though some are under that, so we need to work on improving those first. We can't have them just sit there watching abandoned tvs in shops or listening to car radios until they die, right? The food might get by.

I think the best strategy is to organize in groups of 100 zombies and then work as a team. Also sit in small alcoves, so they can't snipe us from distance or air-raid us. For better organizing, we occupy a building and let 3 others free around, so they think the area is safe when they move in. If anyone from the living group escapes us, we move to another building, otherwise they might bomb our original building.

Also, no chasing after cars and no loud noises. You're not dogs my zombie friends. And you don't need to breathe anymore, so no need to go "awahhh" or "brainsssss" or "hufffhuffff", you're just scaring the food away.

Last, but not least, we all need to be ready and have ruller-skates when the zombie apocalypse comes, I mean we know zombies are slow, so better have wheels.

Happy brain eating!

I would try to group up my friends and family and survive, I personally do archery as a recreational sport and own both a compound and recurve bow I'm purchasing a crossbow in the coming months just to give that a try and also own a kukri so I'm fairly armed if the occassion were to ever come.

As for encampment I would either live in the bush/forest and try to create a base atleast 6 metres from the ground. It could just be a flat surface above the ground and I'd be happy aslong as the zombies can't reach us. I also considered going on the second story of a building and taking out the stairs in some way.
    Last edited by Lyriok; 2012-10-17 at 08:17 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    I know its a big fetish among us geeks to hope, perhaps a little guiltily, that some day the zombie apocalypse will come and though, while the hypothetical notion fascinates me and I love contemplating the "what if?"s and "what would I do?"s, I really hope that the dead dawn never comes!

Still, its fun to look into the survival guides etc. I find bug-out bags really interesting. Not got one myself but it's fun to check out what people put in theirs.

This is a pretty nifty 3-part video from a dude who I think is probably the least crazy survival guy I have seen:

To be honest, being serious now, it's good to prepare for a case of regional problems. You don't know when a major earthquacke comes or some terrorists detonate a bomb and anarchy ensues or some country declares war or some world-wide sickness appears. So it's good to have some survival supplies to not start from scratch in any of these situations. This is not mad man talking, if earthquackes happened in your region, they will happen again, if there's tensions within the population there could be a civil war, if you have a problem with another country, there might be an actual war, better safe then sorry.

Though from here to those people I see on some show on Discovery I think actually preparing for the end of the world is a long way.

So, people, have some basic supplies for cases of disaster of any kind: water, canned food and medicine are most important, though some kind of weapons, a hatchet, a knife and cloth as well as clothing are also good to have. And, don't fill your entire basement with it, a closet filled with all these should be more then enough, in the end you can't carry more then a backpack and a few bags of supplies if you need to move.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    To be honest, being serious now, it's good to prepare for a case of regional problems.
    Oh absolutely. I can definitely see the advantage of making preparations like that for very possible, non-fictional scenarios. It'd be good to have all those things in one place for minor issues too, like power outages etc. I'm just not dedicated enough to put something like that together.

Deleted
    Oh absolutely. I can definitely see the advantage of making preparations like that for very possible, non-fictional scenarios. It'd be good to have all those things in one place for minor issues too, like power outages etc. I'm just not dedicated enough to put something like that together.
    I have canned food in my house, but that's because I'm too lazy to go out to get food some days, does that count?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    I have canned food in my house, but that's because I'm too lazy to go out to get food some days, does that count?
    Well, it's more prepared than I am! xP

For anyone into zombie stuff, I recommend checking out Max Brooks' stuff. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-Brooks/e/B001IGLRRU
    Apparently a film adaptation of World War Z by and starring Brad Pitt is slated for release next year. Could be cool.

I have nothing in terms of food :3

Deleted
    Well, it's more prepared than I am! xP

For anyone into zombie stuff, I recommend checking out Max Brooks' stuff. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-Brooks/e/B001IGLRRU
    Apparently a film adaptation of World War Z by and starring Brad Pitt is slated for release next year. Could be cool.
    That guy gets most of the weapons "advice" completely wrong, the rest is good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Well technically they aren't dead, they're undead.
    Plus they feed and move, they generate heat, smell, which could attract a mosquito.

Also we can't say what a zombie would or would not do as they have yet to exist in real life. So really no point in arguing it. As no side can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Although mosquitoes would be unseen fork in the "awesome" zombie apocalypse.

10+ Year Old Account
    See zombies, get in car, grab food and supplies, head to the woods, grow an epic beard, kill shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    They'll feed on people who are infected but haven't turned yet. We still lose.
    Last edited by Rocket Surgeon; 2012-10-18 at 03:01 AM.
    He is the life of guilds he has never joined.
    He once had a noobish moment- just to see what it felt like.
    If he were to beat you in a duel, you would have to fight the strong urge to thank him.
    The Lunar Elders have a holiday in which they honor him.
    He can speak Darnassian. In Orcish.
    He is: The Most Interesting Man in the World of Warcraft.

1) is it transferable to animals/ insects
    2) can they swim/float/walk across the bottom of bodies of water
    3) are they fast runners or walkers
    4) what are there reflexes like?

These are all questions that we need to know or find out on how we adapt or react to the zombie problem.

Quote Originally Posted by iadamson View Post
    1) is it transferable to animals/ insects
    2) can they swim/float/walk across the bottom of bodies of water
    3) are they fast runners or walkers
    4) what are there reflexes like?

These are all questions that we need to know or find out on how we adapt or react to the zombie problem.
    2,3 will found out rather quickly.
    4 it would depend on how they turned, I would imagine they would have a lack of reflex and those that were basically eaten would be missing muscle and have a harder time moving around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if it happens, neither Humans nor Zombies will survive due to the nuclear winter all the nuclear power stations would cause when no one is there look after them.

This is why zombie apocalypse and a revolution (tv show) style world cannot ever happen or work, because the radiation will kill us all... unless we hide underground like in metro 2033 D: