Question regarding upgrading gear in SPVP only

So i was watching a stream of a guy who was like lvl 15 or 20 in real life, but rank 38 in SPVP, and he had some badass gear. i was under the impression all the gear came from leveling in the real world.

Is it possible when u rank up to upgrade ur gear? because TBH its all i really want to do, and the starting gear in heart of the mists is hideous =/.

BTW this was not in the mass info sticky, and i couldnt find anything on this on the forums.

Thank you in advance!
    "Grammar is important. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse & helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Spvp is completely seperate from the rest of the game. The character you play there is max lvl, and gear you get there is used only there.

i know its completely seperate, but i thought that starter gear was... well the gear u will always use, and that u can use the gear u get in the world in there. so basically there are vendors in the heart of the mists that sell u better, upgraded gear as u rank up? (both aesthetically and stat wise?)
    "Grammar is important. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse & helping your uncle jack off a horse."

You go to the vendors and buy chests. Only buy silver or gold chests. The items in the chests you can use or store. Use your inventory Deposit Collectables to put them into your pvp locker. You can also break them down, using PVP Salvage Kits, into ingredients to use in the Mystic Forge in the pvp area. To use the Mystic Forge you get a Token from the vendor and combine it with the ingredient syou get from breaking them down to make an item.

The drop rate on the things to make really good items is pathetic.

Is it better to save the glory you earn in the earlier ranks for better stuff in later ranks? (akin to saving karma you earn levelling for level 80 stuff in pve)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HankChinaski View Post
    Is it better to save the glory you earn in the earlier ranks for better stuff in later ranks? (akin to saving karma you earn levelling for level 80 stuff in pve)
    Not really. You need ridiculous amounts of Glory to increase your rank later on. But the price of chesters remains constant. I've actually gone back to buy Rabbit chests because I get nothing but doubles from Deer and Dolyak.

Edit: Also note that Deer Salvages sometimes give Free Tournament tokens. Those are nice if you don't get to play tPvP regularly, but still want to get some specific items via the Mystic Forge.

I was under the impression that the gear upgrades in sPvP was only aesthetic... no increased stats. Can anyone confirm whether you can actually get stronger gear in sPvP?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nightshark View Post
    I was under the impression that the gear upgrades in sPvP was only aesthetic... no increased stats. Can anyone confirm whether you can actually get stronger gear in sPvP?
    You do not get stronger. Gear acquired in sPvP/tPvP is only usable in the Mists (not WvWvW) and has absolutely no skills tied to it. If a Glory level 1 player squared off against a Glorly level 100 player, there would be no stat difference (outside of stat choice). But the Glory level 100 player would probably look way cooler. =)