Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd prefer not getting invited because someone else is better to not getting invited because my class lacks a certain skill or is not capable of doing enough damage/support.
    So yes, for me it is more fun.

Also, when playing with friends, everyone can choose whichever profession he likes the most (with small limitations in sPvP because of certain "unique" skills, though), which is definitely more fun for a lot of people. You are never forced to level an alt because your class is overrepresented.
    Last edited by Socram; 2012-10-19 at 12:12 PM.

If your guild has too many of your class, change guild. If your server has too many of your class, change server. These are rare cases I would gladly accept for true class uniqueness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was my problem after getting my Thief to 80.

I wanted to level an alt and tried all other classes and they all bored the hell outta me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nameuser View Post
    If your guild has too many of your class, change guild. If your server has too many of your class, change server. These are rare cases I would gladly accept for true class uniqueness.
    That's a terrible thing to have to do. I remember back in my Vanilla WoW days, I played a Fury Warrior. My original raid guild fractured and split, and I took some time off. When I came back there was room for me in the raid, but no spot for a DPS Warrior. However, there was room for a Rogue. So I played my Rogue until a Warrior spot opened up. The point is...I had to play a class I didn't want to (eventually told them I would not sign up for any more raids as a Rogue). The solution of changing guilds/servers is dumb because my friends were in this guild, people I had been playing with for years and had met IRL. Being able to "bring the player and not the class" is a good change imo.

Then why is balance worse now?
    I had no problems with finding groups in TBC. For example, Shamans didn't have CC, but they had good support to make up for it.

The only argument you use FOR homogenization is also flawed. You say you want to be invited because people recognize you as a good player, but what if someone else got invited instead of you, because they are better? In a sense, you are told that you suck, along with everyone else who didn't get invited. Is that so fun?

Never had that happen. I've not been invited to a group because "someone else was better". If that's the mentality the group leader has, I wouldn't want to run with that group anyway. I would rather be invited to a group because people recognize me as a dependable, competent player rather then a medicore player who just happens to play an easy and OP class.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not a combat ABILITY, it's a combat STYLE.
    So you think that Mesmers, Rangers and Warriors have the same combat style in GW2? I'm not upset because you don't like GW2, I'm upset with your justifications. Feel free to dislike the game, but to critizice the game design, you need better arguments than those.

Homogenization is one thing, poking-your-eyes-out imbalance is another. It is blatantly obvious that there has not been a whole lot of testing across the board of all professions. 5 years ago it would have been perfectly acceptable.

15+ Year Old Account
    The biggest problem with gw2 for me is the classes/abilities. It just seems very uninteresting. I never got any class past lvl 10 because I get bored so fast. Why?
    Well there's your problem right there, actually play the game and you'll be fine.

Deleted
    I for one play completely differently on my Elementalist to say, my Mesmer or my Thief. The classes do have a unique flair to each of them I feel. A Guardian and a Warrior look similar enough, yet they too feel different (at least to me). Ever played a fighting game? Take Street Fighter for example. Ryu and Ken have an almost identicle skill set, yet there is enough difference between them to actually play one better than the other. To have a personal favourite. And that is quite a case of homogenization. I think it's safe to say there are more differences in the Warrior and Guardian in comparison to Ryu and Ken.

I think all the classes are fun, you definitely have to find the right weapons for the synergy to match your style of gameplay though.

I agree Methias, very different gameplay.

I thoroughly enjoy GW2 and plan on playing it for a long time to come. It's taken from launch until this past week for me to say that. I think I understand what the OP is getting at, I share his feelings, less now than when I first started but they are still present. It seems the OP and I are more of mind set to be a master of something, fill a role, have that unique character talent/skill type of player. (My son and I have very different views on this. We describe it as me being a toon based player and he's an account based player. I play a toon for specific skills/looks/talents/role and he plays about anything for any reason lol) From that perspective only, there is nothing substantially unique between the professions in GW2, there isn't that intangible quality about any of the professions. That is not to say you can't enjoy one profession more than another.

GW2 is the 'jack of all trades, masters of none'. It was designed with the intent to let anyone do almost anything using slightly different skills, a couple of different (and good) story lines and quite a varied group of skins. When playing I want to 'connect' (for lack of a better term) with with how the class/profession plays, it's mechanics, skills and how it fits into a group. Because of the similarity of professions in GW2 establishing that connection is hard to make because no one profession stands out from another (except maybe the engineer) and there's no role to fill. I can't be a great tank because there are no tanks. I can't be a great healer because there are no healers. I can't be a top damage dealer because there are no pure DPS professions (a bit arguable perhaps) not to mention no tools to measure DPS with. There is the opportunity to be a great support class in GW2. There are precious few characteristics of any profession that can truly make one profession more unique to me than another. That fact has made it very difficult to choose a profession to play with any real focus. I just play a toon based on my mood, melee or ranged.

In Wow I played a holy pally (my paladin was the greatest toon on earth.) and resto druid all the way through WOTLK from vanilla. I didn't get a 3rd toon to 80 until early Cataclysm (DPS). After having that kind of focused experience it's a bit of a change to come to GW2 and have to literally rethink how to play this game. I've built and deleted no less than 25 characters ranging from lvl 6 to 23 because I couldn't 'connect' or get comfortable with the character. I had to rethink my approach to the game and how to play within its structure. (A mesmer using a greatsword as a caster weapon, really? A melee ranged necromancer, really? No rifles available on a ranger, really?) I now have 9 toons from level 10 on up into the 50's and am having a great time though I have no 'connection' to any of them like I have to my paladin and doubt I ever will. Even after saying that I would very much encourage the OP to pick 2 professions with different foci (MH, OH, ranged and melee) and level them to 50+ and see how it goes. I don't know that you'll find that 'connection' but there are some fun combinations of weapons and utility skills to play with that add a level of complexity and challenge to the game that you may find interesting. Additionally, the dungeons are crazy good, the story lines are fun and crafting really does have a solid place in the game (at least so far). Ultimately this game may not be for you but I'd give it another shot because there are some really, really good things in it that are worth experiencing.

Personally, I am glad I made the adjustments I did.

May my Paly rest in peace.

10+ Year Old Account
    The biggest problem with gw2 for me is the classes/abilities. It just seems very uninteresting. I never got any class past lvl 10 because I get bored so fast.
    Because with every class you basically just spam any skill as soon as it's available. (Only applies to PvE of course, I doubt you'd get anywhere in PvP with that kind of game play, but I don't play PvP)

Why? Because every class I've tried barely feels any different.
    WoW suffers the same. Pretty much all DPS feel the same. Pretty much all the tanks are the same now. Healers also. But switch between tanking and healing or DPSing, that's when stuff gets interesting.

Guess what: In GW2 everyone is on the "i heal myself a bit, constantly run away from the mob and spam every DPS cooldown as soon as it's ready" train. That's why you don't feel real differences.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2012-10-21 at 10:15 AM.

Deleted
    The biggest problem with gw2 for me is the classes/abilities. It just seems very uninteresting. I never got any class past lvl 10 because I get bored so fast. Why? Because every class I've tried barely feels any different. It doesn't seem like my class can do something no one else can. I mean, in wow each class was very unique. Warlocks was the Dot class. Mages was the high crit class with slow casts. Priest had the best heals. Hunters was the pet class. Warriors had high melee dmg with plate armor. Paladins never died.

Can anyone tell me what's unique about each class in gw2? Who can do something others can't? It gets better at higher lvls?
    GW2 is not a game that requires much individual skill or promotes a unique feeling to every class since it's mostly a game of spamming 1-2 buttons and zerge the target. If you want a unique experience for every class and use skill to determine when to use an ability then this game isn't it I'm afraid.

It's all in the traits. They don't mean much early on, but when you start figuring out that they were built very well, I found a lot of enjoyment in the game. It's subtle - in casual PVE you can throw your traits all over and be 'fine' (although less so than just throwing points into a talent tree in WoW. WoW's gotten to the point where you literally can't pick up something that doesn't apply to you) but with a little creativity you can make great builds that are very powerful.

Instead of just 'spamming 1 and 2' you can start to pull many mobs and utilize all of your skills to avoid taking any damage at all (and not by just circle strafing around spamming 1 and 2... why is this even an argument? yes you can do that in any game, and in none of those games is it an efficient or fun use of your time) or use those abilities to benefit your party in some way. Every prof has a way to handle these situations, in their own personal flare.

I could write an essay about the strengths and weaknesses of my necromancer's build & the traits/utilities I swap out depending on the situation, and it would be unique to my profession. The professions have depth for those who want it.

And, as a final note, every prof does have something that they excel at:
    (Please realize that I am just outlining the strengths of the professions. Every class can do more than what I list below, but the OP wants to know how they differ)
    Guardian: Excellent party healers and buffers. Also great at area denial. Everyone wants a good guardian in their group - this is the class you study & learn if you want to be readily accepted into dungeon groups.
    Thief: Every build has high damage. The best resurrectors. Best Mobility. Initiative makes them play different from every other profession (it feels a lot better than the Energy mechanic)
    Ranger: Highest ranged projectile damage (lots of projectile finishers) and is the only class that can fully control a pet. (Assuming you keep it on passive, which you should) It appeals to the... 'pokemon gamers'. Gotta catch em all. Pet swapping is a nice mechanic too.
    Necromancer: Best party condition removal - they don't just remove conditions, they transfer them to enemies or they benefit other necro skills. Extremely high survivability (either as a minion or life steal/deathshroud build). Necros are nearly immortal, even using daggers.
    Elementalist: The ele is probably the weakest class. They are good at a lot of things but the only thing really unique to them is access to a huge amount of combo fields.
    Mesmer: The mesmer takes a while to get its momentum, but the people who play them love them because they're very unique. Extremely high durability with the staff, clones & phantasms have so many options if you build for them. Their party skills are adored by players (portals, the aoe quickness, aoe stealth) and their combo fields are very powerful in groups.
    Engineer: This is basically the good version of the elementalist. Extremely high versatility and most of your options are excellent. Engineers have a tool for every occasion and they aren't limited by the weapon/attunement swap cooldown.
    Warrior: They have the highest damage potential and they're just straight up beasts while doing it. Best combo finishers (blasts).

I hope this helps you understand what Anet has given you a bit better. GW2 is a great game.
    Last edited by Naughts Skyway; 2012-10-21 at 04:54 PM.