Thread: Fire Mage Guide

Page 72 of 83 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Many thanks, Methusula <3

Quote Originally Posted by Silvereen View Post
    Many thanks, Methusula <3
    I'm actually amused that there was actually a post on there that had the exact situation you were asking about.

hey guys, during the normal rotation, wats ur thoughts on whether u should wait for a Heating up proc after u get a Pyroblast proc, so when u cast ur next pyroblast, u have the Heating Up proc and Pyroblast proc active. Or as soon as u get a Pyroblast proc should u just que pyroblast straight away?

always wait for heating up to use your pyro proc, unless you have 3+ stacks of 4pc. in which case, play a lot more aggresive and use pyros whenever possible to keep up your stacks
    #1 fire mage US. u mirin'?
    "Aaah ah ah ah ah ah ah yea, f*ck me, ah, f*ck, aah yeah"
    - Jenna Jameson

What are the audio cues for heating up/pyroblast procs? I've been relying on the default UI's but there seems to be a lag causing me to munch procs when I am waiting for heating up.

That said, my logs from this weeks have been better, though still not where I want them to be.
    Last edited by brownies123; 2013-11-28 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brownies123 View Post
    What are the audio cues for heating up/pyroblast procs? I've been relying on the default UI's but there seems to be a lag causing me to munch procs when I am waiting for heating up.

That said, my logs from this weeks have been better, though still not where I want them to be.
    I believe it's an option with Miks Scrolling Battle Text addon.

Quote Originally Posted by Methusula View Post
    I use audio cues in MSBT for just this.

Also, there is a very miniscule, but very palpable minor lag spike on my system every time I get a crit with a nuke. It's almost something I "feel" more than actually happens. Not sure if that's a scrolling text addon thing, or a proc thing, or whether I just have a sixth sense about it, but I feel like having played fire for as long as I have, you get that sort of premonition where you can tell it's a crit before the game actually gives you the prompt for HU or Hot streak.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromelter View Post
    I use audio cues in MSBT for just this.

Also, there is a very miniscule, but very palpable minor lag spike on my system every time I get a crit with a nuke. It's almost something I "feel" more than actually happens. Not sure if that's a scrolling text addon thing, or a proc thing, or whether I just have a sixth sense about it, but I feel like having played fire for as long as I have, you get that sort of premonition where you can tell it's a crit before the game actually gives you the prompt for HU or Hot streak.
    It's not just you. I never felt like mentioning it, because it sounds crazy. But yeah, I know there is something to it because I know I mash my pyro button before the proc even shows up all the time.

It's not just you. I never felt like mentioning it, because it sounds crazy. But yeah, I know there is something to it because I know I mash my pyro button before the proc even shows up all the time.
    There is a delay with MSBT- you can assign a sound to Pyro crits in MSBT though and that plays before the Blizz aura pops up, or the scrolling combat text - barely but it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvereen View Post
    Hello fellow mages!
    I have a quick question regarding best trinket combo for fire. ATM I have flex upgraded PBoI (548) and normal upgraded Garrosh-whatever-the-name-is trinket (561). However, I just got hc Kardris from a coin and I'm having a hard time deciding what to swap out for it... Thanks for your input ^^
    Always keep your PBoI. HC Kardris should be a tad bit better than Garrosh if you upgrade it.

I thought I was a little nuts with the delay too. But a little test with combat logs shows we're sane after all.

[12:52:25.681] Pyrodig Fireball Raider's Training Dummy *155887*
    [12:52:25.921] Pyrodig Multistrike Raider's Training Dummy 20292
    [12:52:25.921] Pyrodig gains Heating Up from Pyrodig

0.34s delay between crit and buff gain.

[12:52:27.160] Pyrodig Inferno Blast Raider's Training Dummy *62453*
    [12:52:27.604] Pyrodig gains Pyroblast! from Pyrodig
    [12:52:27.604] Pyrodig's Heating Up fades from Pyrodig

0.444s delay.

The delay is smaller than the GCD so it would (almost) never alter our rotation but large enough it leaves us very little time to react when under haste effects. I think this is why people are having more success reacting to crits (what I'm going to try to do) than the procs.

I'm going to try writing a weakaura to track scorch, inferno blast, pyroblast, and fireball crits and use the crits to trigger the default UI indications for proc. Not sure how I am going to do it yet but that's the plan.

EDIT: gave up and now asking Vox Immortalis' WA tutorial thread for help.
    Last edited by brownies123; 2013-12-01 at 06:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would someone be able to tell me how to configure this? I'm scrolling through the options but I can't work out how to add a sound cue for Heating Up and Pyro procs. Many thanks
    Skye <Entropy> | US - Frostmourne 8/13M HFC | Twitch | Armoury

Gorgeous signature by ELYPOP <3

Quote Originally Posted by Skyefire View Post
    Would someone be able to tell me how to configure this? I'm scrolling through the options but I can't work out how to add a sound cue for Heating Up and Pyro procs. Many thanks
    It's better to add sound cues to direct damage crits than to the procs. It's because these procs are a little bit delayed after the crit.
    I don't know how to do it with MSBT (more specifically how to limit it to direct damage crits), but it's not that hard to do with WA.

Deleted
    If i have Pyro! and heating up procced and i fire a pyro blast, should i queue up fireball or wait for my pyro to hit and then fire the next instant pyro?

Deleted
    572 arcane mage here, currently progressing on Thok 10hc.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...yeltsin/simple

I'm wondering if I should go fire now (I have normal tier helm), or if I should wait until I finally get heroic gloves. I also have crit/mastery hc boots from shamans I can use.

Here's tonight log, to give you some idea of how I perform as arcane (in general and on Thok):

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/60bzh5m70pvya5ff/

Would fire outperform arcane on thok? (even with the huge helm downgrade?)

Quote Originally Posted by MattRas View Post
    572 arcane mage here, currently progressing on Thok 10hc.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...yeltsin/simple

I'm wondering if I should go fire now (I have normal tier helm), or if I should wait until I finally get heroic gloves. I also have crit/mastery hc boots from shamans I can use.

Here's tonight log, to give you some idea of how I perform as arcane (in general and on Thok):

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/60bzh5m70pvya5ff/

Would fire outperform arcane on thok? (even with the huge helm downgrade?)
    Fire looks like it is more consistently performing higher on thok. Also, if you are going to be doing siegecrafter, you're going to want to be fire for that, and likely for Garrosh as well.

Thok/Siegecrafter/Garrosh overall fire is going to be more helpful due to significantly better mobile dps.

May depend on your strategy. If you are trying to keep him in phase 1 for super long periods of time, fire is going to win for sure for dps on thok himself, with all the instants you'll be able to get off on him. Arcane will be better for AoE on the adds. if add dps is more of an issue.

My official opinion for you is are you going to be working on siegecrafter after thok, and if that is the case, I'd say going fire now would be beneficial in the long haul. Specifically for thok, the plusses and minuses of fire v. arcane are probably minimal, since your personal dps on thok seems pretty good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maizensh View Post
    It's better to add sound cues to direct damage crits than to the procs. It's because these procs are a little bit delayed after the crit.
    I don't know how to do it with MSBT (more specifically how to limit it to direct damage crits), but it's not that hard to do with WA.
    Ah I see, that was what I was after. Any ideas on a sound that's not obnoxious and annoying haha?
    Skye <Entropy> | US - Frostmourne 8/13M HFC | Twitch | Armoury

Gorgeous signature by ELYPOP <3

Quote Originally Posted by Skyefire View Post
    Ah I see, that was what I was after. Any ideas on a sound that's not obnoxious and annoying haha?
    I use the punch sound Also seems fitting!
    But choose anything you like and make sure that it's short and it doesn't blend with other sounds.

My fire mage is ilvl 493 and is doing about what I expect her too seeing as she's low in crit (30% - I only do LFR with her, and I stay in the top 5 so, whatever) but I have a Combustion question.

It ticks on average for about 5k. Consistently. This seems... very low. Is Combustion just not a hard hitter anymore?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Tosca/advanced

Add; I see now her shoulders are unenchanted, getting on that. I don't intend to put Jade Serpent on that throw-away weapon, waiting for something better to come. But I am concerned that the damage I'm seeing from combustion is lower than just those two problems.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenyatta View Post
    My fire mage is ilvl 493 and is doing about what I expect her too seeing as she's low in crit (30% - I only do LFR with her, and I stay in the top 5 so, whatever) but I have a Combustion question.

It ticks on average for about 5k. Consistently. This seems... very low. Is Combustion just not a hard hitter anymore?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Tosca/advanced

Add; I see now her shoulders are unenchanted, getting on that. I don't intend to put Jade Serpent on that throw-away weapon, waiting for something better to come. But I am concerned that the damage I'm seeing from combustion is lower than just those two problems.
    Combustion was nerfed to the ground over the course of MoP because it was scaling like mad. It is still a hard hitter, but you won't notice it much unless you got procs lining up and got a nice ignite rolling. It's mainly for this reason I am going for a more mastery oriented setup on my mage ( see sig )