Thread: Fire Mage Guide

Page 14 of 83 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    1. Because after the IB>!Pyro, you still have 6.5 seconds CD on IB, which enables you to cast 3 FBs before being able to HU > HS via IB.
    So if either of the first two FBs crit causing a HU proc, there is good chance that HU will not be promoted to HS.
    For the first or second FB to crit @ 45% crit chance is about 50% odds

2. Might be a nice solution to do this to refresh LB, tricky part is the refresh of LB (when done optimaly) will hardly find itself coinciding (naturaly) with yoru FB> Pyro

Wasnt the cancel time of HU 0.25 seconds? regardless two near simultanious hits still count to HU > HS promotion that is what this is about, not the details of 0.25 or 0.50.
    I think the power of knowing these 3 situations may enable you to swap between the different options during a fight... I.e. use/abuse the HU/HS to roll into combustion and stuff.

Deleted
    I think we are talking/thinking of two different things for scenario 1 =). in witch we are both right. any way..

for scenario 2, as i said in one of my posts the instant cast "save" of not getting that HU when fishing with FB is only possible if you upgraded HU->HS with IB with ~5-8s left on LB. Remember you still get explosion even if refreshing LB around 3s left(not 100% sure were it is exactly, but its been discussed in the EJ thread).

they changed the cancel delay some weeks ago because people with high latency had troubles with 0.25s.
    And i guess scorch and haste lvls could start getting into troubles down the line of future tiers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stX3 View Post
    Remember you still get explosion even if refreshing LB around 3s left(not 100% sure were it is exactly, but its been discussed in the EJ thread)
    with 12.5% haste, you refresh the living bomb when the duration is less than 2.667 seconds. (3/1.125=2.667)

Deleted
    Hmz, I missed the delay change from 0.25 to 0.50 then, pft...

The explosion is triggered in the last tick, which does depend on your haste levels but trying to refresh it every 3 seconds before it explodes should work as long as you do not refresh it before the 3 seconds, Latency, Ongoing casts, human error, will all help to delay enough between the 3 second mark and the "proper time"
    As Elpadrino said, 12.5% haste is 2.66666666 seconds, 37.5% haste will give 2.181818 seconds.

This is one of my troubles with Nether tempest, idealy you want to refresh it too on the last tick, however ticks are <1 Second appart, no way you can do that perfectly so you are always going to lose dps either refreshing the DOT to early or to late.

Quote Originally Posted by namliam View Post
    Hmz, I missed the delay change from 0.25 to 0.50 then, pft...

The explosion is triggered in the last tick, which does depend on your haste levels but trying to refresh it every 3 seconds before it explodes should work as long as you do not refresh it before the 3 seconds, Latency, Ongoing casts, human error, will all help to delay enough between the 3 second mark and the "proper time"
    As Elpadrino said, 12.5% haste is 2.66666666 seconds, 37.5% haste will give 2.181818 seconds.

This is one of my troubles with Nether tempest, idealy you want to refresh it too on the last tick, however ticks are <1 Second appart, no way you can do that perfectly so you are always going to lose dps either refreshing the DOT to early or to late.
    That's not how Nether Tempest works. The whole reason it is marginally better on single target fights is due to dot refresh mechanics which will add a tick to the newly applied spell if you refresh it early.

Deleted
    If you are comparing dps between the dots then counting in inperfection, you should dieregard the last two ticks of NT IMHO, or force a delay after letting it drop off...

So I've recently been having this weird coinsurance of fireballs eating up my heating up proc, curious if others have seen or know whats going on. It seems to happen if I've gotten a hot streak proc and either from my IB or from the fireball critting I end up with both HS and HU, perfectly fine and normal. So I pyroblast and am left with a heat up proc that has 8-7 secs left on it. I begin casting fireball as IB is on cd having just used it up recently, and the very first fireball launched I lose the HU proc. Rather hurtful to my dps and also not sure what could be causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryoflash View Post
    So I've recently been having this weird coinsurance of fireballs eating up my heating up proc, curious if others have seen or know whats going on. It seems to happen if I've gotten a hot streak proc and either from my IB or from the fireball critting I end up with both HS and HU, perfectly fine and normal. So I pyroblast and am left with a heat up proc that has 8-7 secs left on it. I begin casting fireball as IB is on cd having just used it up recently, and the very first fireball launched I lose the HU proc. Rather hurtful to my dps and also not sure what could be causing it.
    That's due to HU mechanics. When you get HU your next fireball or pyro has to be crit to get a !Pyro. If not HU will fall off. Simple as that.

TIP: When you get HU and your IB has 2-3 sec CD left just start casting Fireball and use IB BEFORE Fireball hits. This will get you a 100% insta pyro. If Fireball hits first and is non crit you will lose your HU proc.

Hope i helped.

Cometcrack - Ravencrest

Deleted
    Not quite true Comet, there is a 0.5 second allowance for your IB to hit AFTER your fireball has hit to promote your HU to HS.

But otherwize quite normal indeed, Fireball (Crit)> Proc HU > Fireball (Normal) > Gone is your Heating up

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryoflash View Post
    The reason is you stated you had HS+HU, and then proceed to cast !pyro. Now if that pyro does not Crit HU will fall off 0.5s after !pyro hits the target.

You should instead use FB->!pyro. This have been discussed heavily over the last 4-6 pages, and you should really go back and read up on that.

derp, i forgot it had to be consecutive crits. And I've read all the posts in here, and it didn't process until now why with both buffs you still use FB then pyro. I wasn't thinking in terms of has to bee two crits, also makes sense with the .5 delay. If you had both buffs though and IB was off cooldown, would it be beneficial to still queue FB + pyro then IB in flight? I suppose that would give you shot at another HU+HS roll again.

Deleted
    No FB>!Pyro will trigger the 1.4 second GCD before you can get IB off, even with the 0.75 travel time and 0.5 second allowance you will be short 0.15 seconds, thus wont work.

So I have a question, I know it says that Light of the Cosmos RF is better than the Essence of Terror RF, which would be better for a fire mage? The stable int or the proc spell power?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawogi View Post
    So I have a question, I know it says that Light of the Cosmos RF is better than the Essence of Terror RF, which would be better for a fire mage? The stable int or the proc spell power?
    You answered your own question...

Quote Originally Posted by namliam View Post
    Not quite true Comet, there is a 0.5 second allowance for your IB to hit AFTER your fireball has hit to promote your HU to HS.

But otherwize quite normal indeed, Fireball (Crit)> Proc HU > Fireball (Normal) > Gone is your Heating up
    I know there is but from personal experience HU falls off 90% of the time when I cast IB after fireball - non crit lands. It's hard to pull this off so still I would rather advice:

"When you get HU and your IB has 2-3 sec CD left just start casting Fireball and use IB BEFORE Fireball hits."

Try to get a proc when standing next to the boss. Can't remember a situation when I was rewarded with !Pyro within this 0.5 sec window. Better be safe and cast it before it hits (while still traveling) like adviced.

Comet

Deleted
    basicly when ever you cast Anything followed by a instead Inferno blast you should always proc HS.

I use the simple macro:
    /cast Presence of Mind
    /cast Alter Time
    /cast Pyroblast

Scenario 1: Alter Time and PoM
    - Fireball until you get a crit.
    - Inferno Blast queue that crit into a Pyroblast Buff.
    - Make sure Pyromaniac debuff (via mage bomb) is up.
    - Pop all trinkets/Synapse Spring buffs
    - Hit the Macro - At this point it will fire 1 pyroblast (using up the buff), you will have a PoM buff, and 6 seconds till Alter Time ends.
    - Hit Pyroblast - this will use up the PoM buff (sending out pyroblast 2)
    - Hit the Macro - This will preemptively end your Alter Time countdown and reset you to: Pyroblast buff and PoM buff and then it will fire insta pyroblast 3, consuming Pyroblast buff.
    - Hit Pyroblast for insta pyroblast 4 (consuming PoM buff for the 2nd time).
    - Hit Combust
    Hi all. I recently switched from Frost to Fire, and have been testing my rotation on the dummies. I have tried the above setup for building a nice combustion but I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

So I follow the steps, get my HS, press macro, P!, macro, P!, combustion. The problem I am seeing consistently is that when I press the macro the second time, it hard-casts Pyroblast instead of it being instant. What could be causing this?

Quote Originally Posted by scuac View Post

So I follow the steps, get my HS, press macro, P!, macro, P!, combustion. The problem I am seeing consistently is that when I press the macro the second time, it hard-casts Pyroblast instead of it being instant. What could be causing this?
    Lag basicly, but as it returns you to your original position, you can just jump or move while pressing the macro again, so it registers altertime ending before you start casting pyro

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Lag basicly, but as it returns you to your original position, you can just jump or move while pressing the macro again, so it registers altertime ending before you start casting pyro
    Thanks. I modified the macro to simply be:

/cast Presence of Mind
    /cast Alter Time

so now my sequence is macro, P!, P!, macro, P!, P!, combustion. So far it seems to work every time.

Great guide and very informative, I will defiantly put this into play next time. Hopefully my dps can increase just by using this small tad bit of information to the knowledge I already have.