Thread: Fire Mage Guide

Page 17 of 83 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I was saddened to not see dwarf on the race list...

But seriously, thanks for the guide! Saves me a lot of time
    Last edited by xpolockx; 2012-11-29 at 03:38 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xpolockx View Post
    I was saddened to not see dwarf on the race list...

But seriously, thanks for the guide! Saves me a lot of time
    Stoneform and find treasure are sick dps racials fam!

So I got my 4 piece today, but 2 pieces are LFR pieces so they're a downgrade. Regardless, I think I would just use the 2pc over the 4pc anyways because of the PoM/AT lining up. I like the idea that was stated in the last page, where you would maybe switch to 4pc on fights where you would take scorch instead of PoM or a fight like Tsulong where the combustion timing is so so terrible. I don't know, just want to see other peoples opinions on this. I could only really see the 4pc being really good when it's pretty much a large upgrade over your current gear. Might be just me, food for thought.

I saw your trinket lineup.

Between Normal Essence of Terror and Relic of Yulon.
    Which one performs better at 2/2 upgrade status.
    Looks like EoT gets more per each upgrade does that make it better ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    I saw your trinket lineup.

Between Normal Essence of Terror and Relic of Yulon.
    Which one performs better at 2/2 upgrade status.
    Looks like EoT gets more per each upgrade does that make it better ?
    I think you should save your valor to only upgrade BiS gear. However, if you don't have any BiS pieces yet, and you're valor capped, I would upgrade Relic of Yu'lon since it will last you until the last heroic boss of this tier.

10+ Year Old Account
    wouldn't that go for all the items for those bosses as well? tier chest helm etc

Quote Originally Posted by elpadrino293 View Post
    wouldn't that go for all the items for those bosses as well? tier chest helm etc
    I believe the legs are our off piece but other than those yes, if you've got your 496 tier piece and you know it will be one of the last items you upgrade and you know that upgrading is more effective than buying equipment with valor then do it. The hood and the chest are probably the best options, with Relic of Yu'lon and the 502 Amulet of Seven Curses as great non set pieces to upgrade for mid-level raiders.

This thread is a joke. OP doesn't have a clue about how fire mages operate.

Infracted
    Last edited by Shangalar; 2012-11-30 at 04:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That was a mobile infraction, can't change color and I don't know hexcodes by heart.

Please do not respond to that post in any way.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ogFrenikk View Post
    Stoneform and find treasure are sick dps racials fam!
    I wish we still had Find Treasure! Blizzard took that out long ago

10+ Year Old Account
    does the critical mass nerf (1.5 to 1.25) change our gemming? i mean, if 2 crit was barely > than 1 int, surely int has to be better now?

does the critical mass nerf (1.5 to 1.25) change our gemming? i mean, if 2 crit was barely > than 1 int, surely int has to be better now?
    crit is till simming much higher than int any other option atm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lightsz View Post
    crit is till simming much higher than int any other option atm
    and the sims been updated to reflect the nerf?

So how bad is it? Anyone done the numbers? I'm at around 30% crit before the nerf meaning I lost 7% crit from this nerf and I am allready at massive crit droughts as it is. Losing another 7% from that just seems like a killing blow to any kind of fun the spec had. Bandwagons will be bandwagons, but just on a dummy I lost around 25k dps wich made my heart sink but maybe that was just bad RNG.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd refrain from commenting on how the fun from the spec was removed. Fire's playstyle is not particularly entertaining to me anyway and that hasn't change in any way - the rotation and priority list stayed exactly the same.

Now, two different factors of "fun" here - if "fun" means staying ridiculously further away than the second person on the damage done list, then that is not particularly fun.

If "fun" means not being able to do your desired rotation because of a serious lack of crit - then that can be warranted as "lack of fun". However, the current change will in theory still put Heroic raiders who already have 30%+ Crit chance before suppression and critical mass at exactly the same place over time. You can't upgrade every Heating Up if every second Fireball crits because Inferno Blast still isn't ready and over a larger sample, the average Joe will still have every third Fireball crit which is fine for Inferno Blast.

If the complaint is "I can't get insane Ignites because my Pyros just won't crit anymore" - that was exactly the point. I'm fairly certain that Fire Mages will remain close to top and not necessarily far above the top as was the case until 5.1 and the two days after 5.1 prior to this latest Hotfix. But let's just wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    I'd refrain from commenting on how the fun from the spec was removed. Fire's playstyle is not particularly entertaining to me anyway and that hasn't change in any way - the rotation and priority list stayed exactly the same.

Now, two different factors of "fun" here - if "fun" means staying ridiculously further away than the second person on the damage done list, then that is not particularly fun.

If "fun" means not being able to do your desired rotation because of a serious lack of crit - then that can be warranted as "lack of fun". However, the current change will in theory still put Heroic raiders who already have 30%+ Crit chance before suppression and critical mass at exactly the same place over time. You can't upgrade every Heating Up if every second Fireball crits because Inferno Blast still isn't ready and over a larger sample, the average Joe will still have every third Fireball crit which is fine for Inferno Blast.

If the complaint is "I can't get insane Ignites because my Pyros just won't crit anymore" - that was exactly the point. I'm fairly certain that Fire Mages will remain close to top and not necessarily far above the top as was the case until 5.1 and the two days after 5.1 prior to this latest Hotfix. But let's just wait and see.
    Only it doesn't stay the same. The fun from playing fire comes from 2 things. Crazy RNG and crits. Both things nerfed to the ground. If you asked me if I wanted the same dps just chugging fireballs doing nothing else, or actually having to use my other spells in order to do dps I know what I would choose. I have no issues with them putting fire mages inline with other classes as they should do, but what they did was not just a ridiculous overnerf for anyone not in BiS but they also removed both the fun aspects of playing a firemage. I lost 7.68% crit this patch, that means alot more mindless chugging of fireballs.

I have to admit, a large part of the Fun of Fire comes from Pyroblast, so the less often that procs the less fun it is going to be as that is your only proc and otherwise you're stuck just using a filler spell.
    Any nerf to crit is going to be a small nerf to how enjoyable the spec is, though of course the nerf may be perfectly justified from a balance standpoint!

I personally think this one was a bit over the top, considering they only needed to put Combustion back at it's pre-5.1 levels.

I haven't logged on yet, but yes, I agree with this statement. I would think that crit is now 83% as valuable as it was before (1.25/1.5). Most likely simcraft has not been updated yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Windry View Post
    I haven't logged on yet, but yes, I agree with this statement. I would think that crit is now 83% as valuable as it was before (1.25/1.5). Most likely simcraft has not been updated yet.
    Windry, could you please run the sims to see how much damage is done?

I have ran a couple of Raid Finder and my dps was a complete garbage, while before I was almost always top dps by a huge margin.

Strongly thinking about going Frost or even Arcane, but want to be sure it is not possible to fix my Fire spec before.

I ran LFR just now and shredded everyone else as usual, even though I'm still gemmed all crit.
    I don't think LFR is a particularly good measuring stick :P