Excellent Mod / Stat calculator Idea

Just brainstorming in class how there need's to some kind of equation or spread sheet with graphs that you can input your stats and bonuses, and it will tell you your current stat weights. This would be a project for someone in the community I suppose, but I'll explain more what it would/could do below:

Ok, I'm a badass barbarian with 90% chance to crit! BOOM I should wreck everything right? Then why is my dps still at 80k?! Slow attack speed, low initial damage, and low critical damage are the most likely reasons. But how am I to know when one stat starts to over-shadow the next? This is my raw attempt at a graph showing my character stats put into the program, and it giving me this... (Keep in mind this is completely made up data, to get my point across, and i did it in notepad)

__
    | | <-crit chance
    | | __
    | | | | <--crit damage
    | | | |
    | | | |
    | | | |
    | | | | __
    | | | | | | <--attack speed
    | | | | | |
    | | | | | | __
    | | | | | | | | <-Strength
    | | | | | | | |
    | | | | | | | |

Character's Attributes:
    Crit %: 90
    Crit % dmg: 340
    strength: 978
    Attk speed: 4%

So what this graph (or mod/stat calculator that someone needs to create) would tell me is that I would actually become a lot more powerful if I sacrificed some crit and crit damage for more strength to boost my initial damage. And after my strength was a bit higher, then I would want a little more attack speed. Of course I could always input my character's data after getting a new piece of gear and be able to see what direction I want to head to make the most out of my kickass barbarian. The exact same thing could be done with defensive stats; resist all, armor, dodge, and vitality so as to know when one stat over-shadows the next.

This mod/calculator could (and probably should) include passive talent inputs and certain other dps-altering skills for each class as well to be the most accurate. I don't know if something like this exists, and I would love to be shown it if so. Otherwise, GET TO WORK YOU AWESOME PROGRAMMERS!
    Last edited by Uncle Julian; 2012-10-19 at 01:49 AM.

This kinda stuff doesn't need a program. It's normally fairly apparent to anyone with eyes. In the lead up to your example, you yourself said exactly what this calc would tell you - and you did it without the calc. You said:
    Ok, I'm a badass barbarian with 90% chance to crit! BOOM I should wreck everything right? Then why is my dps still at 80k?! Slow attack speed, low initial damage, and low critical damage are the most likely reasons.
    Then you asked:
    But how am I to know when one stat starts to over-shadow the next?
    You answered your own question with "build a program!" But the real answer is "look at your other stats" - which you already said.

I dunno. I get where you're going. But it seems like needless over-complication. What you're looking for is just a slightly more complicated version of the "Top Stats" that Blizzard already puts on every profile.
    Last edited by Firecrest; 2012-10-18 at 10:50 PM.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Oh but you see, I don't know that graph for my character. The program would order stats as a graph looking like that, so you could see what your weak point is. For example, I've been stacking crit, crit damage, and str on my actual barb. Only after picking up a shitty ring with 6% attack speed, i realised that alone increased my dps by 13k. So finding an attack speed ring with 1 or 2 other stats would help me immensely, and I had no idea. This programs' graph would lay that out to you so you don't have one of those "Well shit....all this time..." moments like I had

The program you are asking for would not have helped in the example you just gave. Since you had 0 AS, it would not have been listed as a "low stat" since it was actually a "no stat". The only way your hypothetical program would have helped in your scenario is if the program also offered advice on what your stats should be at. Something like that is next to impossible. For one, this game is ridiculously gear dependant. Someone who just started Inferno Act I is going to be in a completely different place than someone who’s been farming Act III for weeks. Secondly, the program would have to somehow weigh in on your spec since each class has several ways to gear depending on what skills they’re using.

Further, your program is fundamentally flawed just on premise. You don't WANT all your stats to be equal. Depending on your gear and build, you want to push certain stats over other stats. Knowing that your Crit is high and your Dex is low is not particularly helpful to a Searing Winds Monk who's purposely pushing Crit.

The real answer here is self analysis. If you CBA to do enough research to understand that AS is good, then there are plenty of "Rate My..." threads out there where people can go to get knowledgeable help from other gamers. All you’ve gotta do is link your profile and wait for a response. That’s much easier than it’d be to input all your info into a program anyway. And the response is better to boot!
    Last edited by Firecrest; 2012-10-19 at 03:39 PM.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>

Here's my issue....I have 5 million to spend. I can buy gloves with 3% crit and 10% crit damage, or a ring with 6% attack speed and 70 strength. both cost the same. How am I to know which one will boost my dps higher without having to buy both of them and find out one increases my damage by 3k, the other 6k

It's not a program for "You're a ww barb? build this" and it's also not saying how "effective" you are. It's purely what stat get's out weighed at a certain point....

Another example, I stack crit % and crit % and more crit %...there is a point where 1% crit damage would be more beneficial than 1% crit chance. and that stat weight would balance back and fourth as the other stat grows. This program would take all DPS stats and categorize them for the sole fact of getting that number on your in-game character screen higher.

It would be simple, a program that took your average weapon damage multiplied by attack speed multiplied by crit% multiplied by crit % damage multiplied by primary stat modifier (2000 str = 2000% damage increase) it would tell you at any given time, 1 str = 1.5% crit - 3.5% crit damage = .8 attack speed

So you can look at you're highest one and say "oh getting this higher would help my damage at this time more than getting anything else higher"

For example, the more life your character has, the more important, or effective, armor becomes. Likewise the higher armor you have, the more vitality becomes important because each point of vitality can absorb more incoming damage being mitigated by high armor. This data can be found easily online, but where exactly that threshold is takes a bit of time to figure out and it gets messy when resist all, dodge, and block chance are thrown in the equation. This program would solve that
    Last edited by Uncle Julian; 2012-10-19 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    Here's my issue....I have 5 million to spend. I can buy gloves with 3% crit and 10% crit damage, or a ring with 6% attack speed and 70 strength. both cost the same. How am I to know which one will boost my dps higher without having to buy both of them and find out one increases my damage by 3k, the other 6k
    This is a vastly different request than what you've said before. This program exists. It's called a DPS calculator and there are hundreds of them out there. Just Google "D3 DPS Calculator". Here's the first one that came up when I searched that. It does exactly what your above example calls for.

The other requests in your latest reply are also easily accomplished with a DPS calculator.

For example, the more life your character has, the more important, or effective, armor becomes. Likewise the higher armor you have, the more vitality becomes important because each point of vitality can absorb more incoming damage being mitigated by high armor. This data can be found easily online, but where exactly that threshold is takes a bit of time to figure out and it gets messy when resist all, dodge, and block chance are thrown in the equation. This program would solve that
    Most DPS Calcs also calcualte EH. The one I linked above does that.

I dunno. Everything you've asked for so far has already been done, can't be done, or is done a thousand times better by putting your armory link in a post and asking for help. I have little programing knowledge, so at his point I'm done wasting my time trying to explain how useless this is. Best of luck finding someone who can help.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>

AHHHH that's exactly what I was looking for, thanks! Sorry if my point wasn't being made clearly, hard to explain an idea that you don't think exists.