Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    RoF stun is universally considered annoying and ineffective.

wtf warlocks get http://www.wowhead.com/spell=106523/cataclysm ?
    OP NERF BROKEN AS SHIT WTF IS BLIZZ THINKING IM QUITTING THIS SHIT GAME

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallensaint View Post
    If I recall correctly, one of the earlier concerns/complaints about Destruction was that we couldn't effectively use our level 30 talents as offensive window openers because we needed to reserve them for defensive CC use.

Assuming that's still the case, wouldn't Cataclysm, as a dedicated defensive CC, free up some of the pressure to use our 30 talents defensively and allow them to be more usable on offense?

probably that's the point.

what some people have been asking for a kill-window opener, and Xelnath has replied that he is not going to add a kill window opener, which means we will have to use the tools already at our disposal for that purpose. but by gainging a defensive cooldown we free up Mortal Coil/Shadowfury/Howl of Terror for offensive use then we have gained a kill-window opener.

---------- Post added 2012-10-22 at 01:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by silmarilen View Post
    wtf warlocks get http://www.wowhead.com/spell=106523/cataclysm ?
    OP NERF BROKEN AS SHIT WTF IS BLIZZ THINKING IM QUITTING THIS SHIT GAME
    Nothing would please us more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    Nothing would please us more.
    It could be green.

I do hope I'm not the only one who will be macroing "Closer... Come closer... and BURN!" onto this spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
    RoF stun is universally considered annoying and ineffective.
    Amen. Sadly, it's being replaced by something only slightly more effective. But hey, at least it's not annoying.

Glad to see you still reading and sorry you're convinced that the cata design is good as is. You have commented that you don't like a number of instant CC abilities that currently exist, but you have never explained why you think it's OK to balance us with a different mindset than other classes. It seems really unfair from our perspective that we don't get easy to use CC like other classes/specs because you're sticking to your design guns, while other class devs run wild.

Compare cata to any number of other abilities call out in this thread and tell us why you consider it balanced and what other CC you consider it balanced against. Either as individual spells or a comprehensive toolkit, because from here it seems like we are still lacking overall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    I do hope I'm not the only one who will be macroing "Closer... Come closer... and BURN!" onto this spell.
    well i will be macroing mine to say "You have done NOTHING. I will tear your world APART."

Look, I already have to fight off people who come into my office daily to complain that they got "1-shot" by a chaos bolt from a Warlock they never saw.

Combo that with "Oh and I was stunned the whole time so I couldn't do anything about it" and your class is getting nerfed into the dirt. I don't think you want that either.

Look, I already have to fight off people who come into my office daily to complain that they got "1-shot" by a chaos bolt from a Warlock they never saw.

Combo that with "Oh and I was stunned the whole time so I couldn't do anything about it" and your class is getting nerfed into the dirt. I don't think you want that either.
    Well, that's why I tried to warn you and proposed that you split Chaos Bolt's damage into faster casts that would result in the same amount of damage within the same interval of time. It's clear that many aren't happy with Chaos Bolt's current incarnation. The warlock gets mad when doesn't get it off because of the long cast time, while the opponent gets mad when it hits him because of the big numbers, regardless of the effort and time put into building up the cast. It's just psychological, and unwanted in PvP.

I think CB should get nerfed honestly. I really don't care about the random CBs in BGs - I get gibbed all the time with no way to respond because I haven't been dropping my portal every time I walk 40 yards. But in 3v3 (only thing you guys should be balancing around), CB with Trinket/DS hits too hard. I have no problem nerfing our once every 2 min burst - it's probably too high.

But, our damage without DS/Trinket is complete trash. I'd rather be able to pump out shadow priest, frost/fire mage, or ele shamie level burst consistently (which they can all do without major cooldowns - look at the damage of a lavaburst/fulmination hitting at the same time, or spike/blast/SWD, or frostbomb/lances into novas, etc.). It would take rework on your end, but I'd love to see a more consistent model where we are always dangerous but not likely to global anyone.

If you're worried about that particular combo, just cause a revamped Cata to have a trinket CD relationship with DS (using one puts the other on CD for 20 sec or w/e). That's really the only time you should be worried about pairing CB with a stun.

I imagine you still get an evil smile inside of you

How about I just cut Chaos Bolt from Grimoire of Sacrifice. :P

To be honest I think there'd be a huge amount of QQ. I personally wouldn't care and perhaps would want it, but I'm sure there were lots of Destruction warlocks looking forward to go pet-less. I personally think that Destruction's previous model was great and unique. No specific burst mechanics, sustained "burst" coupled with high amounts of coordinated CC. The DoTs in Cataclysm were cumbersome, but I think WotLK's model was the best, even though it was a bit overpowered.
    What I think Chaos Bolt should have filled is the "extra" to incinerate. It shouldn't be a meaningless damage increase over the filler, but neither should it be the super mega death lazer that makes incinerate look weak. Something like doing 50% more damage or so, emphasizing on Destruction's "sustained burst".

It may be too late for that, but I want to let you know that Chaos Bolt as it is might cause a lot of problems, because the way the spell works doesn't fit in PvP. I really appreciate your efforts in revamping the spec and giving it more meaning, but that's the way it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    there is no such thing as 'sustained burst', just as there are no such things as jumbo shrimp. They are only sustained dps and Prawns.

To be honest Xelnath, I thought you created a "masterpiece" in Cataclysm, may it be on purpose or by accident. I'd never been more entertained with a spec such as Destruction during my whole play time in any game whatsoever. The spec played mellifluously and wonderfully, giving you the impression that you were always in control, and that everything depended on your own skill and effort. The DoTs that were added in Cataclysm might have been too much for many, but I think that even if they were toned down and the gameplay kept intact with the same purpose, the spec would've given off the same shine, if not more.

---------- Post added 2012-10-22 at 07:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    there is no such thing as 'sustained burst', just as there are no such things as jumbo shrimp. They are only sustained dps and Prawns.
    Give it the name that you want, the important thing is that you get the idea.

Phoenexis - you will *never* get that clusterfuck back. It's wholly unreasonable to expect that a playstyle which less than 3% of human beings can play effectively is acceptable.

10+ Year Old Account
    /wipes sweat off brow

Ha Ha yeah...that Xelnath...what a kidder...

*waves hands* These are not the droids you're looking for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Phoenexis - you will *never* get that clusterfuck back. It's wholly unreasonable to expect that a playstyle which less than 3% of human beings can play effectively is acceptable.
    but i enjoyed being one of those 3% was fun beating 85% of people in dps while doing 6x the work...
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

Deleted
    How about no ?