Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The visual needs a bit more... oomph! If it's going to knockback it needs some sort of explosion at the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    so i hear its buggy, like you if you get hit during the channel you drop 1 HP?

10+ Year Old Account
    warlocks get bubble - more news at 11

Deleted
    Only destruction gets this? Unfair!

Deleted
    No offense to you demon loving casters, but I don't like the sound of that thing knockbacking. That's going to be immensely annoying during heroic dungeons when random Warlocks knockback mobs all over the place.

Not saying every Warlock is going to be knocking adds away from the melee into other packs, but there are always going to be people around who aren't that aware of their surroundings. Same goes for Death Knights not using their Armory of the Dead glyph so that the ghouls don't taunt anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    No offense to you demon loving casters, but I don't like the sound of that thing knockbacking. That's going to be immensely annoying during heroic dungeons when random Warlocks knockback mobs all over the place.

Not saying every Warlock is going to be knocking adds away from the melee into other packs, but there are always going to be people around who aren't that aware of their surroundings. Same goes for Death Knights not using their Armory of the Dead glyph so that the ghouls don't taunt anymore.
    ...and Elemental Shamans with Thunderstorm and Druids with Typhoon. Heck, we could create a long list of things that are annoying beyond the few spells in the game with knockback mechanics. It's only for Destruction Warlocks so your chances of having to deal with it in a dungeon are fairly low. You'd have to first be grouped with a Warlock. Then they'd have to be a Destruction Warlock. Then they'd have to be that jerk that uses one of those annoying spells. It's not going to be that bad. Plus, current heroics are easy and you make it sound like a Destruction Warlock would be able to spam this spell and send mobs flying 50 yards. It won't be available that often and the mobs won't go very far.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Varteras View Post
    ...and Elemental Shamans with Thunderstorm and Druids with Typhoon. Heck, we could create a long list of things that are annoying beyond the few spells in the game with knockback mechanics. It's only for Destruction Warlocks so your chances of having to deal with it in a dungeon are fairly low. You'd have to first be grouped with a Warlock. Then they'd have to be a Destruction Warlock. Then they'd have to be that jerk that uses one of those annoying spells. It's not going to be that bad. Plus, current heroics are easy and you make it sound like a Destruction Warlock would be able to spam this spell and send mobs flying 50 yards. It won't be available that often and the mobs won't go very far.
    Difference is, Thunderstorm is (or at least was, not sure about MoP changes) only used to regenerate some mana and Typhoon doesn't do enough damage to warrant the global cooldown. If I'm not mistaken it doesn't do damage anymore either.

This ability will be used every single pull because it dots all mobs up with Immolate.

Again not trying to insult anyone, I'm just worried the knockback is going to be very frustrating after some time.

15+ Year Old Account
    plus there will probably be a glyph to remove knockback =p

This ability will be used every single pull because it dots all mobs up with Immolate.
    It doesn't. It just applies immolate ticks for 4 secs, and doesn't generates embers.. so it isn't a great aoe rotation spell.

Deleted
    This in conjunction with Ursols Vortex means nobody will escape the fiery goodness

/excited

Difference is, Thunderstorm is (or at least was, not sure about MoP changes) only used to regenerate some mana and Typhoon doesn't do enough damage to warrant the global cooldown. If I'm not mistaken it doesn't do damage anymore either.

Again not trying to insult anyone, I'm just worried the knockback is going to be very frustrating after some time.
    I know Thunderstorm and Typhoon are not used often but people still complained about them when they were introduced because of Shamans and Druids being idiots with those spells. As someone already pointed out, Cataclysm does not put a full duration Immolate on all targets. The Immolate effect lasts for the 4 seconds the spell is being channeled. Cataclysm will not be found as optimal because it requires a Burning Ember to use and a Warlock looking to do AoE damage would be better off using that Burning Ember for Fire and Brimstone and then casting Immolate. That puts a full duration Immolate on all targets and frees the Warlock up to cast other spells which is something they can't do when channeling Cataclysm. It should really be seen as a last gasp spell in PvE and a small middle finger for PvP. I know you're not intending to offend anyone but what I'm trying to tell you is that this spell will not end up being a big deal in heroics like you think it will be. Like I said you'd have to find yourself in a group with a Destruction Warlock and once it is realized by most that the spell isn't worth the time to use unless the Warlock is in trouble the only ones you'll have to be concerned with are noobs and jerks.

channeling for 4 secs and using an ember will be a dps loss in pve, I doubt destro would use this in pve unless there's some major dps gain from doing it if that's what you're worried about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post
    channeling for 4 secs and using an ember will be a dps loss in pve, I doubt destro would use this in pve unless there's some major dps gain from doing it if that's what you're worried about.
    Just to play devil's advocate here, but the shiny graphic will guarantee some people will use it on cooldown. Cause it's a cool spell you know.

I have a friend, lovely, very smart guy, but a complete noob when it comes to playing warlock. (his main btw, not some alt) I can never predict what he's going to do next, or what spell he'll use. I mean he plays Demo, granted, but he refused to use Sbolt in Cata cause "it felt slow" consequently he'd never spec into any Destruction talents cause he felt they didn't apply to him. Now this particular friend is too smart to know he can use a knockback in dungeons, but take his general playstyle and add to that a more oblivious person and you get Cataclysm used in dungeons, on cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate here, but the shiny graphic will guarantee some people will use it on cooldown. Cause it's a cool spell you know.

I have a friend, lovely, very smart guy, but a complete noob when it comes to playing warlock. (his main btw, not some alt) I can never predict what he's going to do next, or what spell he'll use. I mean he plays Demo, granted, but he refused to use Sbolt in Cata cause "it felt slow" consequently he'd never spec into any Destruction talents cause he felt they didn't apply to him. Now this particular friend is too smart to know he can use a knockback in dungeons, but take his general playstyle and add to that a more oblivious person and you get Cataclysm used in dungeons, on cooldown.
    miss-using spells or using spells randomly is not something new, how many times do you remember warlocks using fear in dungeons and pulling the entire room causing a wipe ?

point being, in competitive pve, where dps for a warlock is of the highest priority, randomly using spells is very less likely to occur.
    Last edited by wholol; 2012-10-19 at 12:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    does it apply Immolate or does it apply only 4 Seconds of Immolate or does it do an immolate tick's worth of damage once every second for four seconds? it's a little confusing

I was able to try it once or twice on the ptr, but unfortunately i kept dying because of the HP-to-1 bug and it was too buggy to really work out all the different aspects of it's use.

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post
    I agree with the sentiment. This spell needs a glyph to remove the knockback so it's more PvE friendly.
    No it doesn't... It won't really be used in PVE at all, unless a knocback/stun is absolutely needed. There is no part of this spell that will make people want to cast it outside of that situation.

We already have Fire and Brimstone+Immolate for that, which is far more effective for DPS that Catacysm could ever be.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2012-10-19 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    No it doesn't... It won't really be used in PVE at all, unless a knocback/stun is absolutely needed. There is no part of this spell that will make people want to cast it outside of that situation.
    What about the fact that it makes you immune to death

If a Warlock is using it "all over the place" in PVE then he's bad, period. 4 secs of channeling with the only source damage being immolate is a huge DPS loss. The only place where any decent Warlock would be using it is if he aggroed a bunch of mobs and is using this as an emergency to avoid getting killed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    that's probably is only substantive use in PvE, it will be a manually activated Cheat Death, great for moments when you can see that some boss attack is about to one shot you, Which happens often enough in raids, but not all the time and not in every encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    In which case it wouldn't really matter if you had a glyph to remove the knockback (unless you're dying alot on dungeon trash mobs?).