Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

I need a good gaming PC.

With the upcoming expansion on the brink I need a new PC, with my old PC I get about 20-25 FPS Max and I'm looking at hopefully getting 40+, I have been informed the parts in my current computer would go well alongside most of the fossils in the museum of natural history so I am looking for a bit of Advice as I know as much about Computers as the young ladies on 16 and Pregnant know about contraception.

I have a budget of £1000 and I'm looking for recommendations of either a fully built computer or a list of parts I could chuck together (when I say I, I'll get our IT guy to do it).

The PC main use will pretty much be RIFT and only RIFT

Thank you in advance

~Seatin

I threw this together, it's a combination of robust, reliable parts (corsair ftw) and power without spending silly money. Should run RIFT extremely well:

You can use the quick find codes to order it all yourself on eBuyer if you want. They're an excellent retailer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I support this system. I'm not familiar with case, be sure to get one that is large and roomy. Since the CPU is a "K" meaning unlocked you can OC it so I'd add a after market. CPU cooler the stock one is fairly lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    I support this system. I'm not familiar with case, be sure to get one that is large and roomy. Since the CPU is a "K" meaning unlocked you can OC it so I'd add a after market. CPU cooler the stock one is fairly lame.
    The case has tons of room, Corsair cases are brilliant. I have the Carbide one, I could sleep in it it's so roomy. The processor is overclockable, it will go to 4Ghz easily on the stock HS/Fan, you could lose the Blu-Ray drive and get a decent cooler and stay within budget, push to 4.5Ghz.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up

Being the bigger computer nerd than Tarien (SORRY BRO, BUT LET THE BIG KIDS TAKE CARE OF THIS) there's a few things I'd suggest one changes in the build Tarien suggested, it's good, but some tweaking is always good, as well as second opinions. :P

• First off, Blu-Ray players are pointless and dumb, they cost way too much money for how much honest benefit they'll give you, get a normal DVD drive.
    • Secondly, while I love Corsair, I realize they are not the top name in PSUs, SeaSonic is. :P In fact, SeaSonic makes the OEMs for Corsair's best PSU series (TX and AX) and thus I have two things to say, it's fine if you want to go the Corsair PSU route, but it tends to be marginally more expensive as well as 750 watts is immensely overkill for the build we have listed here. It would honestly run on about 400 watts, so I would say get a decent 550-650 watt SeaSonic/Corsair (NOT CX)/Antec/Enermax/SilverStone power supply and you'll be set!
    • I personally hate the V-LX motherboards from Asus, I'd suggest the ASRock Extreme4 Z77 over that one, any day. Costs almost the exact same but is a better motherboard all around with more features, such as SLI, which the Asus would not even be able to drive at all, as well as lacking the support for it, anyways.
    • I would say make sure you also consider if you need to invest in Windows 7 (etc) for OS and in case you need a HDD, you do NOT want to Fraps to an SSD. Good SSD though, if you want more SSD options, the top 2 are the Crucial m4 series and the Samsung 830 series.
    • I don't know Inno3D very well for graphics cards but I've also not really heard anything inherently BAD about them, but I'd say if you want some other potentially good 3rd party manufacturers, I'd say: Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, eVGA, and Galaxy and Zotac aren't bad, either, but less well-known names but as I understand, they make just as viable coolers and cards. Gigabyte has an absolutely awesome GTX 670 though, that they stuck on a 680's PCB. So essentially a 670 chip with all the PCB features of a 680. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Graphics-Cards

Hope this helps!!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Being the bigger computer nerd than Tarien
    I've built dozens of PCs, and I never build one for myself without months of research :P

• Yeah the ASUS board was my bad, it's the non-LX version that supports SLI. Google fail!
    • That said I would take ASUS over ASRock any day of the week. ASRock used to be a low budget brand with terrible reliability, though they have come a long way since - but still imo not as good as ASUS or even Gigabyte.
    • Blu-Ray drive was probably overkill, but without knowing whether Seatin owns BluRays or a 3D monitor or TV etc, I just covered the options.
    • SeaSonic aren't generally available over here in the UK, which is why I suggested Corsair - they are extremely reliable.
    • I went with 750W so that it is a) very stable and b) will support any number of upgrades in the future. Price difference isn't much.
    • He said it was for only playing RIFT, if he wanted to FRAPs I'd chuck in another SATA drive to capture with.

EDIT: Removed the BD-RW and just added a DVD-RW, lowered the PSU to 650W, added a 2nd HDD for FRAPs, as I know Seatin does FRAPs. HDD added was a Samsung F3, couple years ago they were awesomesauce (I own three and they've been great) but it's been a while since I had to look into normal hard drives. Oh and I swapped to the non-LX board. Anyway:

Last edited by Tarien; 2012-10-19 at 12:44 PM.

Deleted
    Loving the war of the computer guru's ^^, so after all the feedback, any additiona features/changes?

And just to add I would like to Fraps and Record quite a bit as well, while playing RIFT

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah come on now Tarien, I know you updated, but we all know Seatin is another of the Fraps geeks. ;p http://www.youtube.com/user/Seatinmanoflegends

As of right now, I think ASRock is doing better in the motherboard department than even Asus, not only on reliability but also with their "attitude" essentially dealing with customer service, plus the prices they charge, also, they don't have this horribly ugly brown and blue color scheme going on. =S Gold, silver, and black are the badass combo. :P Either way, fair, but still, the Asus motherboard just costs so much! D:

Samsung SpinPoint F3 and any Western Digitals are the best for reliability. Stay away from Seagate and HGST/Hitachi like the plague.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Also does anyone know where I can get or have a promotional code for Ebuyers just to save a few pennies? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Sign up for their emails. Literally every day I get emails from TigerDirect.com, CompUSA.com, Micro Center, and Newegg.com with deals I just WISH I could jump on. >_<
    "A flower.

As of right now, I think ASRock is doing better in the motherboard department than even Asus, not only on reliability but also with their "attitude" essentially dealing with customer service, plus the prices they charge, also, they don't have this horribly ugly brown and blue color scheme going on. =S Gold, silver, and black are the badass combo. :P Either way, fair, but still, the Asus motherboard just costs so much! D:
    Pretty colours do not an awesome computer make. Also you get what you pay for. ASUS's service has always been excellent (in the zero times I have needed to use it in the past decade ).

eBuyer don't tend to do many promo codes tbh, they have weekly emails with deals in. You could shop around a bit and get it all a few quid cheaper maybe, or wait for promo's/price drops. They tend to be spectacularly cheap anyway, only other UK online retailer that is as good is scan.co.uk. Mebbe try them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Pretty colours do not an awesome computer make. Also you get what you pay for. ASUS's service has always been excellent (in the zero times I have needed to use it in the past decade ).
    Somebody suggested upgrading the I5 to an I7, Would there be any worth in doing this?

P.S Thank you both sooooooooooooooooo much for all the help so far!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seatin View Post
    Somebody suggested upgrading the I5 to an I7, Would there be any worth in doing this?
    Not for gaming, no.

Deleted
    Not for gaming, no.
    Okay, brillaint thank you!

Okay, brillaint thank you!
    It'd help with video rendering times I think, but seeing as how most of your videos are mostly footage splicing rather than special effects and rendered stuff, the i5 would suffice. Could possibly also consider bumping to 16GB of memory to get videos processed faster, but only if you have the money. 8GB is more than enough to get the job done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Youuuu!! *shakes fist*

The point I was trying to make was on top of their motherboards succeeding more consistently lately and having better customer service, ASRock also has a nicer color pallet than Asus. :P

If you want to FIGHT ME BRO DO YOU EVEN LIFT we could take this and ask the computer forum regs what they'd say. Me being one of them, I think I know what they tend to suggest a lot. :P

From: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Sample-Builds

Gaming 910
    MoBo: ASRock Z77 Pro4$94.99
    CPU: Intel i5 3570k$229.99
    RAM: G.Skill 1600MHz Ripjaws 2x4GB$34.99
    GPU: Gigabyte 7870$259.99
    HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB$109.99
    PSU: Seasonic S12II 520W$69.99
    Heatsink: Xigmatek Gaia$29.99
    Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer$79.99
    --------------------------------------------------
    Estimated Total Price – $910

Recommended for:
    Gaming build that will take care of almost
    all gaming needs; will exceed in most games
    but lacks the power to cope with really
    demanding titles at max settings.

Gaming 1030
    MoBo: MSI Z77A-G43$119.99
    CPU: Intel i5 3570k$229.99
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz 2x4GB$40.99
    GPU: MSI GTX 660 Ti$299.99
    HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB$109.99
    PSU: Seasonic S12II 520W$69.99
    Heatsink: Cooler Master TPC 812$67.99
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi$89.99
    --------------------------------------------------
    Estimated Total Price – $1029

Recommended for:
    Strong gaming build that will take care of
    most gaming needs. With a stronger PSU
    there is room for another GPU (SLI/CF).

In the $1,030~ build I'd just change the mobo to the ASRock Z77 Extreme4. Also of course the HDD could be a lot cheaper, Marest just likes nice things. :P As you can see though, $50-60 on the PSUs.

Also, not sure how this converts to dem quids, but you get my idea. :P
    "A flower.

I always look at what this guy:http://www.rabb1t.com/systems.html says, then sometimes I tweak from there. His Rank 1 build is slightly over your $1000 budget, but not by much and is a very decent rig.

---------- Post added 2012-10-19 at 08:53 AM ----------

Youuuu!! *shakes fist*P
    He has a point. I bought an ASRock board once. Yes, once. It was DOA and I had a tough time getting my money back. This was probably 6-8 years ago, so things may be different now, but I will never buy another ASRock again because of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    He has a point. I bought an ASRock board once. Yes, once. It was DOA and I had a tough time getting my money back. This was probably 6-8 years ago, so things may be different now, but I will never buy another ASRock again because of it.
    Think of ASRock as a totally different brand now, because that's what they are. 6-8 years ago they were just a part of Asus that got shitty shoddy parts, no longer, they now use just as high quality parts and thus TONS of people have been buying their motherboards and having next to no issues. Right now, I am trying to avoid and telling people to avoid MSI and Asus for motherboards, MSI because of explosions and other issues with reliability and stability, and Asus because of stability and Asus not having the easiest RMA process for people right now. =/
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account

I have a budget of £1000 and I'm looking for recommendations of either a fully built computer or a list of parts I could chuck together (when I say I, I'll get our IT guy to do it).
    You could take the slackers route and have a company build one to your specs and parts you want, plenty of quality, reputable sites will do this

I think you're in the UK so off the top of my head, here's a few goodies:

http://www.advancetec.co.uk/acatalog...nd_gaming.html

http://www.beastcomputers.co.uk/buil...c93f390f82ec1a

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/produc...385&subid=1951

http://www.scan.co.uk/

It's not always necessary to have the 'latest and greatest' components either, my system is now 2 chipsets behind but can still tear through anything i throw at it.

i7 975 EE o/c @ 4.8Ghz cooled with a Noctua NH-D14 sitting in an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 mobo, triple channel Corsair 6GB @16000 Mhz memory

Shiny graphics pushed out by an ASUS GTX570, all neatly wrapped up in a HAF 932 case, so ancient tech by today's standards but i see absolutely no reason to be upgrading for a while yet

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    You could take the slackers route and have a company build one to your specs and parts you want, plenty of quality, reputable sites will do this

I think you're in the UK so off the top of my head, here's a few goodies:

http://www.advancetec.co.uk/acatalog...nd_gaming.html

http://www.beastcomputers.co.uk/buil...c93f390f82ec1a

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/produc...385&subid=1951

http://www.scan.co.uk/

It's not always necessary to have the 'latest and greatest' components either, my system is now 2 chipsets behind but can still tear through anything i throw at it.

i7 975 EE o/c @ 4.8Ghz cooled with a Noctua NH-D14 sitting in an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 mobo, triple channel Corsair 6GB @16000 Mhz memory

Shiny graphics pushed out by an ASUS GTX570, all neatly wrapped up in a HAF 932 case, so ancient tech by today's standards but i see absolutely no reason to be upgrading for a while yet
    While this is totally true, to an extent, at this point, he can get much better hardware/performance for the price, than your stuff. :P Not to mention it's pretty difficult to find Gulftown i7's nowadays, they've phased those and the X58/P55 (LGA 1366/1156) platforms out.

Pretty much, Seatin, you want to buy best priceerformance hardware for what is available today, and then keep it for at least a few years. Slipmat will likely upgrade around Haswell or, I think the next one after that, is Broadwell.

I'm sure Slipmat will froth at the mouth like the rest of us though when he sees the GTX 780. GK110 chip is a beast.... think double the size of the GK104 chip (660 Ti, 670, and 680).
    "A flower.