Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Holy: Light's Hammer vs Holy Prism

I looked up a few top 10m palys and I noticed that the majority of them use Light's Hammer instead of Holy Prism.
    Now, looking at light's hammer, it has a ~26% up-time where as Holy Prism can heal 5 people every 20 seconds.
    Could someone tell me why they're using LH instead of HP? I'm guessing because it hits EVERYONE instead of just 6...but I'm not sure if it's worth using because of the 74% downtime...
    I heal a 10m group and we're only 3/6 Heroic, but I find the ability to use Holy Prism every 20 seconds to be REALLY useful (plus it almost replaces my WANT to cast judge).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbubble View Post
    I looked up a few top 10m palys and I noticed that the majority of them use Light's Hammer instead of Holy Prism.
    Now, looking at light's hammer, it has a ~26% up-time where as Holy Prism can heal 5 people every 20 seconds.
    Could someone tell me why they're using LH instead of HP? I'm guessing because it hits EVERYONE instead of just 6...but I'm not sure if it's worth using because of the 74% downtime...
    I heal a 10m group and we're only 3/6 Heroic, but I find the ability to use Holy Prism every 20 seconds to be REALLY useful (plus it almost replaces my WANT to cast judge).
    Well, if you are 3/6HC you should know simply, some spells are better on some encounters and vice versa.

Some fights favors light's hammer, some holy prism. Personally I prefer light's hammer due to it requiring 66% less global cooldowns in a minute, and it is a substainable AoE Heal for when its needed. If the boss have some hard hitting aoe ability or something like that its perfect to line up with light's hammer. Did you really use holy prism for Feng HC?

Not sure on the math but it seems like in some situations it would be advantageous to take Light's Hammer over Holy Prism. For instance, on Feng, grouping up for aoe on Epicenter... drop the hammer at the stack point and resume with heals. Instead of 1 burst of healing (on the melee, we don't stack on the boss) with Holy Prism, you get pulsing heals for way longer.

Pretty much any fight with heavy AOE damage would be good for LH. Gonna try it out next week. Funny you mentioned this, I was just researching it this morning.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Joaquin View Post
    Not sure on the math but it seems like in some situations it would be advantageous to take Light's Hammer over Holy Prism. For instance, on Feng, grouping up for aoe on Epicenter... drop the hammer at the stack point and resume with heals. Instead of 1 burst of healing (on the melee, we don't stack on the boss) with Holy Prism, you get pulsing heals for way longer.
    Not to mention the Adds on Feng HC.

I didn't realize any Holy Paladins were taking and succeeding with Holy Prism. I tried it once and it seemed very mediocre as a healing spell.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

Did you really use holy prism for Feng HC?
    Yup, I sure did. I actually really like it tbh - mainly due to our healing comp. We have a resto shammy and a resto druid and me. They're pretty strong on the aoe heals.
    I think why I like the Holy Prism (besides the fact that it can hit hard) - if you're in an oh shit moment and you need an instant heal on someone - it can sometimes crit for a single target heal upwards of 100k. Here's our last Feng Heroic:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/z...m/healingDone/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbubble View Post
    Yup, I sure did. I actually really like it tbh - mainly due to our healing comp. We have a resto shammy and a resto druid and me. They're pretty strong on the aoe heals.
    I think why I like the Holy Prism (besides the fact that it can hit hard) - if you're in an oh shit moment and you need an instant heal on someone - it can sometimes crit for a single target heal upwards of 100k. Here's our last Feng Heroic:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/z...m/healingDone/
    Well, don't know if it just because im tired as hell, but if I am reading those logs correctly your holy prism only did 4.5% of your healing, that feels very low.

Feng is just a wonderful fight for Light's hammer. Works wonders in every phase. In case of failed epicenter, Flame AoE, Arcane Storm, not to mention for AoE damage on Adds. I bet you would have done alot more both damage and healing with lights hammer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    I didn't realize any Holy Paladins were taking and succeeding with Holy Prism. I tried it once and it seemed very mediocre as a healing spell.

/use [harm][@targettarget] Holy Prism

use that and holy prism is alot better

Deleted
    I prefer the use of LH on fight which need a lot of Stacking and AoE dmg(for example, Feng) but if the tacts needs more spread like the Spirit Kings i pref Holy Prism...

I wish the heal on holy prism was less... idiotic. I've had it heal 5 army ghouls at full health instead of the numerous people that were actually injured.
    Divine, Unmarred and Electrified
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Demaio/simple
    Retired(ish)

I've tried Holy Prism a few times and it just felt like a horrible heal. Light's Hammer is awesome for most fights, if you can place it correctly

Holy prism, for me, was great to use as a free single target heal with a very low cd. If you're mana starved and on tank duty I think it plays better that ES because of it's lower CD. I run light's hammer though because of it's outstanding ability to AOE heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosleh View Post
    I've tried Holy Prism a few times and it just felt like a horrible heal. Light's Hammer is awesome for most fights, if you can place it correctly
    In my current gear (mostly heroic pieces) Holy Prism heals for around 50k and crits for 100k which isn't that bad considering the low cooldown.

For fights with a lot of movement I find HP pulls ahead quite a bit, considering how melee will be the only group of players in a somewhat predictable position. On fights with strong AoE aspects and stacking phases LH wins hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Khilandria View Post
    /use [harm][@targettarget] Holy Prism

use that and holy prism is alot better
    Not sure exactly what I'm looking at. It casts Holy Prism on the target of my target. That's all well and good, but you don't know who I'm targeting, do you? What is the intent of your macro: to single target damage + aoe heal or to single target heal + aoe damage? I'm pretty sure I don't need your macro to do either since I use VuhDo and I just keybind in VuhDo to make it a mouseover macro.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    Not sure exactly what I'm looking at.
    While the macro isn't really a great idea in my opinion, he's insinuating that Holy Prism is much better when you target an enemy rather than a friendly - something not everybody knows I suppose.

Is AoE prism a smart heal or a closest in range heal? There are a few fights I run prism but I'm noticing it doesn't always pick up the people in lower health, even when they're in range of the spell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DemaioJ View Post
    I wish the heal on holy prism was less... idiotic. I've had it heal 5 army ghouls at full health instead of the numerous people that were actually injured.
    I second that. Holy prism is very silly. However, it's a strong instant heal, which is nice on some fights.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Quote Originally Posted by DemaioJ View Post
    Prism might be good if it was smart-cast. Currently, at least in 25 man, whenever I use it, regardless of fight, it's responsible for most of my overhealing. And by "most of my overhealing" I mean, prism will, by itself, be more than 50% of my total overhealing with all spells combined. It averages as extremely small amounts of my healing done.

Meanwhile, light's hammer - as long as I time it properly - averages 6-16% of my healing done depending on the fight. It doesn't hurt that Light's Hammer is also free, where holy prism ends up costing a lot of mana in the long run (at least relative to light's hammer's *nothing*).

Unless you're healing in an environment where it's unlikely to overheal when just healing random targets for 50-60k; 100-120k+ on crit, or where it's just impossible to utilize light's hammer's stationary healing, I don't see how prism can compete with light's hammer.
    Last edited by Simulacrum; 2012-10-22 at 12:53 AM.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Pasture View Post
    Is AoE prism a smart heal or a closest in range heal? There are a few fights I run prism but I'm noticing it doesn't always pick up the people in lower health, even when they're in range of the spell.
    Pretty sure its a closest or even random, its definitely not smart. I've had holy prisms completely overheal for all their value, when several people were damaged. The fact that its not smart is what makes me switch it out on a a lot of fights, only on fights where I know people won't stay still for light's hammer do I grab it.

That said its still a solid, low cost, single target heal, instant cast heal which is useful in various situations.