Looking For Some Feedback On PC Build

At the request of yet another friend I put together a PC based originally on the framework of the MMO-C front page machine and tuned for price and function and I was looking for some feedback. Things like constructive criticisms, critiques, opinions, suggestions that sort of thing. I'm not looking to go up or down in price really but would consider a slight downgrade if the cost cut is large enough. Overall he is happy with the build but before he orders the parts for me to build I wanted to see if there was any way I could squeeze anything better out.

Specs For The Build It Self
    - 950$ Budget (The price upfront for this build is 970 and down to 940 after rebates which he is fine with.)
    - No Windows install neccesary
    - No display needed
    - No speakers needed
    - No soundcard needed
    - No optical drive needed
    - No Keyboard/Mouse needed
    - Not intending to overclock
    - Needs SLI-Crossfire support

Here is the build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kQ2w

Reasoning Behind Choices
    CPU - Intel Core i5-3550 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (Was cheap for the clock speed, i5 series, fit the motherboard socket)

CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (Was recommended with CPU on MMO-C Front page for compatibility and the CPU I changed to is the same socket)

Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (Well priced, Crossfire/SLI ready)

Memory - G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Well priced, good reviews, recommended for PC Build on MMO-C front page)

Storage - OCZ Agility 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Well priced, good reviews. Only being used for OS and Installed Programs)

Secondary Storage - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Very well priced, I trust Seagate, Good reviews)

Video Card - Asus Radeon HD 7770 2GB Video Card (Had good luck with another Asus card, well priced, good reviews, CrossFire ready, Onboard fan)

Case - Cooler Master HAF XM (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (Well Priced, Sick looking, GFX dock airflow conduit, USB 3.0 on the front panel, SATA dock on the front panel, Very effective cooling built in, Correct tower size)

Power Supply - Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (Slightly overkill I'm aware but enough to power additional CrossFire cards in the future and support upgrades to the machine, well priced, I trust Thermaltake, well reviewed, more efficient than comparable PSU's)

Like I said, any suggestions, corrections, opinions, criticisms, or questions are welcome. It's starting to look like I might be doing this more and more often so the more I can learn the better. Thanks in advance as always and thanks to those that have helped in the past.

Additional Info About Intended Use
    At the moment he really only plays WoW and StarWars The Old Republic but he likes to be on Skype and Facebook and all that while these games run, I'm assuming with a more powerful system he might play more modern games but thats basically it. No real massive home theatre uses or anything like that.
    Last edited by SpartanG01; 2012-10-20 at 02:55 PM.

Deleted
    i'd try to aim for a nvidia card but that is personal choice, biggest thing possible for swapping is the SSD agility series are the budget line from OCZ try aiming for vertex 3/4( also quite some performance differance for i think 10/20 $ extra but well worth it)

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    i'd try to aim for a nvidia card but that is personal choice, biggest thing possible for swapping is the SSD agility series are the budget line from OCZ try aiming for vertex 3/4( also quite some performance differance for i think 10/20 $ extra but well worth it)
    You know I was seriously 100% on the fence between the Agility 3 and the Vertex 4 but the problem was I know NOTHING about OCZ lol is there a big difference there? I don't know a ton about the performance differences in SSD drives to begin with, not like I do with Sata/IDE drives.

I went with your advice and got the Vertex 4. went from 85 to 99, not a bad deal.
    Last edited by SpartanG01; 2012-10-20 at 05:02 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    As noted above, try for a nvidia card, wow seems to perform better on nvidia.

(Personal experience and based on reviews) maybe try and catch a 560ti on sale for $150?

Drop the CPU-cooler. If you want a less noisy CPU-heatsink than stock, Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 rev 2. Cooler is not needed with a K-less processor.
    Get a nicer looking, smaller case. Like the Fractal Design Arc or their Define. The GPU-dock is stupid. The cooling is decent but not special.

The PSU is overkill. You could crossfire HD7770 on a 450w PSU, but keep it should you up the GPU. Agility is fine, but I don't trust OCZ.

I'd bump up the GPU with the price saved on at least the CPU heatsink. HD6870, HD7850 or HD7870. I'd rather buy one bigger GPU and then crossfire it later, when you really need it. Buying one small now with the intent of buying one later? Bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Drop the CPU-cooler. If you want a less noisy CPU-heatsink than stock, Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 rev 2. Cooler is not needed with a K-less processor.
    Get a nicer looking, smaller case. Like the Fractal Design Arc or their Define. The GPU-dock is stupid. The cooling is decent but not special.

The PSU is overkill. You could crossfire HD7770 on a 450w PSU, but keep it should you up the GPU. Agility is fine, but I don't trust OCZ.

I'd bump up the GPU with the price saved on at least the CPU heatsink. HD6870, HD7850 or HD7870. I'd rather buy one bigger GPU and then crossfire it later, when you really need it. Buying one small now with the intent of buying one later? Bad idea.

The case was actually my friends choice, originally I had an FD case but he wanted this one.
    Agreed on the PSU but like I said he said "Make sure I can upgrade the GPU/Ram/CPU in the future.
    I asked him about spending more on the GPU now and upgrading less later but he said he'd rather save the money now.

What's the deal with the heatsink I've heard 50 different opinions on how necessary those things are.

You get a heatsink with the CPU. It's not super, but if you're not going to overclck, you won't need a more advanced one.

You're spending too much on the CPU Cooler. You're not spending enough on the graphics card. You should switch the 3550 with the 3570k especially since you're getting a somewhat expensive ASUS z77 motherboard. The 3550 would do fine on a H77 motherboard for $80. Switch the Agility 3 with a Vertex 4 or a Samsung 830. The Agility 3 is old technology.

Here's what I would get: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kUCe

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.82 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($247.55 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $913.80
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

If your friend really wants the HAF XM, you'd have to drop the 7870 for a 7850/660 OR drop the 3570K + Hyper 212 EVO for your 3550 + Stock Heatsink and get a H77 motherboard.

Just so you know, the performance difference between the 7870 and the 7770 is enormous: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/536?vs=548 .

I would go for WD over your Seagate and Seasonic/Corsair over your Thermaltake, but it's not a big deal.
    Last edited by yurano; 2012-10-20 at 11:39 PM.