Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Add a Cooldown to Execute?

Hey everyone, so as you can see in the title the point of this thread is just to ask, do you think a cooldown on Execute would be a good idea? As it is right now execute is where a huge part of our Damage comes from and is almost mandatory to combine with and save Cooldowns for. for me it just doesnt feel right to have to wait until below 20% and then shoot up the charts and have execute out damage everything else in a matter of seconds.

Ofcourse i do love the huge numbers you can get with execute, but i feel that a cooldown might help in not feeling forced to focus everything around the execute phase. Do you think that if there was a say, 6 Second CD on execute and maybe there was no longer a rage cost to it, and the damage stays as it is, would this help make the execute phase less dominant then it is now? Would other abilities need to be buffed to compensate?

I may be completely missing something here as to why it may be a bad or good idea but thats really why i came here just to see what people think about it.

Execute grew on me (and I was very vocal during beta on how I hated it).

In Mogushan, there are bosses with burn phases where the extra DPS is awesome (Garajal H, Elegon H), plus I don't feel our dps is that far behind outside of execute range, which was my biggest fear. Overall tuning is the best it has been, with ranged pulling slightly ahed due to fight mechanics and multidotter still owning some fights. I also view it as somewhat skillful the judgement of sitting on CDs while using them as much as possible within a fight.

The only valid complaint that remains imo is that it makes our "rotation" completely dumb and it will get worse with better gear, because I'm sure we'll eventually get enough to spam it. On Elegon I'm already pressing nothing but Execute and CS in Berserker Stance.
    Cairne wanted to thank him again, to offer encouragement, praise for a task so successfully completed. For being able to bear such burdens. But Saurfang was an orc, not a blood elf, and lavish compliments and effusion would not be welcomed or wanted.

No. And of course you would need "compensation" as being able to pool rage to execute during cooldowns and cs accounts for probably easily 30% of its overall potency. From current raid experience I am rather praying for a good execute phase anyways than hoping for decent bloodthirst crits and enrages. I still feel that the overall design is rather dumb but I don't see how that suggestion would alleviate the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    On Elegon I'm already pressing nothing but Execute and CS in Berserker Stance.
    Don't really see that happening on any other encounter yet. Also arms will likely never be able to spam it to any extent and even with fury I am not all to worried.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2012-10-22 at 05:20 AM.

Deleted
    For PVP having a cd on execute would be a major nerf. Just think if you miss first execute on a healer for example, having a cd means he survives and has a major chance to heal out of 20% hp range. its fine how it is now !

Quote Originally Posted by blackdon View Post
    For PVP having a cd on execute would be a major nerf. Just think if you miss first execute on a healer for example, having a cd means he survives and has a major chance to heal out of 20% hp range. its fine how it is now !
    if you miss in PvP, you should go back to basics....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    if you miss in PvP, you should go back to basics....
    Execute doesnt always get 20% off his life.....

Quote Originally Posted by Youwow View Post
    Execute doesnt always get 20% off his life.....
    Your response made no sense. So because an Execute doesn't always take 20% life, means it misses?

Deleted
    He means it doesn't always kill people, which it doesn't. There tends to have to be some kind of damage reduction going on for that to be the case tho. In my experience anyway.

Hard-hitting execute is sort of a hallmark of the vanilla warrior.

Lets say, hypothetically, that progression fight X lasts roughly 7 mins.

You have the following cooldowns (I'm going to use fury for my example, though arms is more-or-less the same)
    Recklessness: 5mins,
    Shattering Throw: 5mins,
    Skull Banner: 3mins
    (t90 talent: 1min/3min/na)

If execute range is the last 20% of the fight, and raid DPS is ~30% higher during that phase (provided you have many classes with execute phase rotations, like hunters or DK's for example). that means that ~14%(20% * 0.7) of your 7 min fight is spent in execute range, barring mechanics preventing you from dpsing the boss. this means you have basically one min out of 7 mins of execute uptime. (something like 56 seconds)
    This means, during the fight, If you open with all 3min cooldowns, use all 5 min cooldowns within the first min of the fight: you should be able to safely have your two 5min CD's for execute phase, and can use your two 3 min cooldowns twice, (having them return at the 6min mark, ready to go for execute phase.)

Really, knowing roughly how long the encounter is going to take is key. When you're progressing and wiping often, it's better to burn your bridges and worry about getting to execute phase than worring about how many cooldowns are going to be left for execute phase (within reason. I wouldn't burn cooldowns at 30%, for example.)

In my opinion every single attack should have a cast time or a cool down.

I like execute. It does what it says: executes stuff! Beside the name/lore thing of the ability I also like the way it works. A boss typically gets kinda cranky when he reaches 20% or below HP. This is her e you want to be able to dish out extra damage!

with the way rage works execute is not always available for you that alone is like a cd (when u have to fill the gab by using ms/op till you get 30 rage back again)

10+ Year Old Account
    Not at all. A warrior is a class that requires balancing a resource, instead of balancing CDs. The fact that you won't generate enough rage to spam execute except on a few fights is enough of a CD. If a CD were added to execute on those fights, we'd just be spamming slam instead. Execute should be a hard hitting ability, not the puny thing it was in cata.

puny thing? thats interesting, i was doing double the dps of the first 80% in execute fase in cata, usually it gave me a boost of about 3-4k overall dps.
    i think you did something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by silmarilen View Post
    puny thing? thats interesting, i was doing double the dps of the first 80% in execute fase in cata, usually it gave me a boost of about 3-4k overall dps.
    Except that it was puny in Cata, and your numbers are kinda off. It was a DPS boost in Execute phase, but definitely not double, and if it was double, it would give your overall in Cata (assuming DS gear) a boost of about 10k, not 3-4k. In any case, Execute was tiny compared to how it is now. It wasn't even your highest DPET, it was basically just a higher DPS version of Slam, and you kept up your normal rotation/priority just replacing Slam with Execute, because Execute wasn't high enough damage to replace the rest of your rotation for. And Fury didn't even use Execute, except to maintain stacks of Executioner.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by silmarilen View Post
    It was a DPS increase due to the 25% haste buff as fury. Other than keeping that buff up, it wasn't part of the rotation. At least, not if you were doing it right. You'd BT->ex->BT etc to get 5x stacks, than only refresh the buff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by klank View Post
    I like execute. It does what it says: executes stuff! Beside the name/lore thing of the ability I also like the way it works. A boss typically gets kinda cranky when he reaches 20% or below HP. This is her e you want to be able to dish out extra damage!
    Agreed. It is the mechanism determines why it's called EXECUTE! I like the way it is. I would even like to name my warrior Execute if not taken by another player on the same realm lol. Warriors, and execute the spell itself are exactly supposed to be overwhelming/dominating at finishing stage. So just enjoy the mighty EXECUTE and withdraw your concern from how dumb it is pressing at this button only.

---------- Post added 2012-10-24 at 10:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfriend View Post
    Not at all. A warrior is a class that requires balancing a resource, instead of balancing CDs. The fact that you won't generate enough rage to spam execute except on a few fights is enough of a CD. If a CD were added to execute on those fights, we'd just be spamming slam instead. Execute should be a hard hitting ability, not the puny thing it was in cata.
    So true. Warrior (and rogue as well) is a typical class designed to focus on managing its resource,the RAGE, instead of managing CDs like a caster. Especially in recent expansions blizzard emphasized on this point so warrior players are facing greater challenge to manage rage. So it is your advantage to prioritize EXECUTE in your global cool down rotation when it is applicable. If you are able to manage your rage well then have full tank of rage at execute phase, it is a honorable thing to spam it to pool out mighty damage!!

15+ Year Old Account
    how about merging execute and heroic strike. Heroic Execute or some stuff. Execute Strike. whatever.

20.1% or more HP of target: 6/10/15 (I'm not here for balancing numbers) second CD, 50 rage cost, on the GCD. Hardest hitting ability (not a must. can be, does not have to be. again, I'm not here for number crunching).
    20.0% or less HP of target: 3 second CD, 10 rage cost, off the GCD.

the problem is not the damage of execute (adding a cooldown is also some sort of nerfing its damage) that needs to be balanced, the problem is that there is an ability which is entirely usable only in a specific range of a mob's health.
    The same is true for hunter Kill Shot.

A better example would be firemages: doing a flat additional damage for targets <35% (if that is still implemented).
    or warlocks (affliction? all? I dunno). drain soul doing a crapload of damage for targets below <i don't know the threshold>%.
    Rogues (assassination), who get a higher hitting combo point generator for targets below a specific threshold, which I don't know the % of it either. Which also can proc during the rest of the fight, though.

all that is an example of at least better designs for "execute phase implementations" than execute itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    On Elegon I'm already pressing nothing but Execute and CS in Berserker Stance.
    Wait, what?
    Berserker Stance?
    Dull question incoming : why this stance and not battle? All it does is give rage when you get attacked, at least that`s what the tooltip says...
    Rogues don't do buffs or other group things. If you want a hug ask the Paladin.

15+ Year Old Account
    and elegon last burn phase is: he does an constant AOE damage spell. thus, you take damage, you get rage, you can spam execute.