PC shuts down after a few seconds

Hello all, just looking for a second opinion on this issue !

I have this Mobo Asus M3A78-EM with an AMD Athlon 5600+ X2

not sure what to do right now... at first the computer would turn off randomly (not reboot but turn off)
    so suspected pretty much everything in the book.. first step was to change the PSU. no help there.
    then got the mobo out of its case and just tried it solo nothing plugged in ... only ram and CPU (on board video card) still no improvement computer past POST but then shuts down a few seconds later... Tried different ram in different slots.. no success.
    did a default BIOS reset (Jumper) nada

removed the CPU fan and cleaned and reapplied thermal paste... no change... the few seconds I have to get to the BIOS when I check temperature all seems fine. (fan running etc)
    even tried to not use the onboard graphic and used a Asus Pci-E video card...still same issue.

am I forgetting something ? or this mobo has just gone south ?

thank you very much for your help !!

Joe

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, most likely the mobo is toast.

So that means decision time for you: Replace the mobo or get a new mobo+cpu+ram combo?
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

U pretty much did all the troubleshooting needed.

Shutting off is usually a sign of an issue with power or heat (high temps) but u confirmed that the psu got replaced and cpu temp is fine.

Sounds like an issue with the mobo or your cpu heatsink not making proper contact. I'd say an issue with the mobo.

It's time for you to get a new pc.

Not worth putting money in an old system like that.

I recommend you go with an intel ivy bridge cpu, a good nvidia card, that new psu u just got (if it's over 500 watts) and a nice ssd. You'll totally see the speed difference and won't go back to a dual core amd.

A little expensive but worth if especially if you play games.

Quote Originally Posted by c0rnel View Post
    U pretty much did all the troubleshooting needed.

Shutting off is usually a sign of an issue with power or heat (high temps) but u confirmed that the psu got replaced and cpu temp is fine.

Sounds like an issue with the mobo or your cpu heatsink not making proper contact. I'd say an issue with the mobo.

It's time for you to get a new pc.

Not worth putting money in an old system like that.

I recommend you go with an intel ivy bridge cpu, a good nvidia card, that new psu u just got (if it's over 500 watts) and a nice ssd. You'll totally see the speed difference and won't go back to a dual core amd.

A little expensive but worth if especially if you play games.
    I agree here, although I personally prefer the AMD GPU's.

After seeing this chart I decided I'm going to go with nvidia. It's win 8. Doubt it will make a huge difference if it was tested in Win 7. Nvidia has better drivers imo.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/M...rmance/19.html
    Last edited by c0rnel; 2012-10-15 at 10:49 PM.

Comparing Apples to Apples i.e. cards in the same price bracket:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=660

Really the performance differences are so little that it doesn't matter. Also my experience with nVidia's shitty solder on their 8800 series combined with their inability to release a performing SLi driver means I won't be buying their products again. My old ATi 9800 Pro is still alive to this day, I can't say the same for my nVidia GPU's....

You might try unplugging and reconnecting the case wiring (wiring for the power switch, reset button, etc).

It might be worth checking for bad capacitors. Go over the board with a flashlight and see if any of the caps are bulging or leaking brown/yellowish looking shit out the top. Capacitors are VERY cheap to replace, but you have to be handy with a soldering iron to replace them of course.

If the inside of the case is pretty nasty, I'd maybe go over it with a few shots of canned air.

All three of these things are long shots but are pretty easy to check. Aside from that stuff though...it does indeed sound like the mobo might be going south on you.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2012-10-16 at 03:53 AM.

Try to remove the Mobo battery. It will revert the BIOS to factory settings.

Remove the battery, wait 2-3 minutes, but the battery back in. Then try to boot it up again.

yea ima say your boards toast bro. its probably run its course considering that that particular AMD architecture is fairly old now.

something about AMD's new trinity chip makes me wanna build a new AMD system from the ground up... haven't felt that way about a chip since the Celeron Tualatin.

since you've had that setup for so long, i think you can appreciate that the intel i3/i5/i7 architecture is solid and gonna last you for a while. personally, i'm just fascinated with the new AMD trinity chip tho.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not quite sure, but theres a computer here
    Umm not to sound stupid here but....

Any chance its plugged into a power board?

If so, go straight through to the wall or even try another wall mount if you can, juuuuuuust in case, its not that uncommon for that to be the issue.
    Possibly a long shot (i was infact my issue once) but for the 5mins it takes to check, may save ya a few hundred bucks...

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/ASUS-M4A...item2ec2abc617

If that pc was more than enough for you, just replace your motherboard only.

Deleted
    Getting past post then resetting? Sounds more like a HDD problem....Try another drive.
    Does not sound like a mobo problem...Normally they don't boot with a dead mobo (could be wrong)

Hang on sorry m8 just noticed the toubleshooting ...If possible take it to your local PC store have them take a look it should be free for them to test it.
    Last edited by mmoc8d9a66b0a0; 2012-10-24 at 07:25 PM.