Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I actually saw it in non 3D lol. Was the 3D good?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I actually saw it in non 3D lol. Was the 3D good?
    We'll lucky you. I really wanted to go, but I can't enjoy 3D. I use glasses myself, and having to use 2 pair's ontop off each other just aint any good. And often my eye's don't notice the 3D that well.

I did it for Avatar, and I'll never bother with it again :/ It blows really. I wish film makers would stop 3D.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

My favorite part wasn't just the Villian for once but it was seeing Tony Stark be a super hero even without his suit. Moreover being able to track down the bad guy without a super computer telling him what to do.

The fights always involved lateral thinking that actually convinced you that he actually was a genius and not some shmuck that was left a fat trust fund.

Not to mention the finale was a Man-gasm of awesome explosion and Butt-Whoopin-Baddassness that made the Dark Knight look like a PBS Special. It will be by far the best movie of the summer. Star Trek may be a close second and Superman just looks like more of the same lame movie they made last time.

Just saw this movie... wow, fuck them. They bait and switched the fans so fucking hard with this movie. I practically feel lied to with the way they showed "The Mandarin"'s rings in the previews.

This is what I was expecting.

"Ice Blast Ring (Left Little Finger): This ring allows the Mandarin to project waves of up intense cold and ice, including trapping foes in ice blocks and sheaths.

Mento-Intensifier Ring (Left Ring Finger): This ring magnifies the Mandarin’s psionic energies, allowing him to mentally manipulate the thoughts and actions of others.

Mental Illusions – The Mandarin may psionically generate illusions within the minds of others. These illusions are very realistic and are capable of affecting all of the senses (vision, hearing, taste, touch and smell).
    Mental Paralysis – The Mandarin may psionically manipulate the minds of others, temporarily paralyzing them.

Electro-Blast Ring/Lightning Ring (Left Middle Finger): This ring allows the Mandarin to project blasts of Electrical Energy.

Flame-Blast Ring (Left Index Finger): This ring allows the Mandarin to project blasts of infrared to produce flame or ignite combustible materials.

White Light Ring (Left Thumb): This ring allows the Mandarin to generate and manipulate various forms of electromagnetic energy

Light Burst – The Mandarin may generate bursts of high intensity light to blind opponents.
    Gravity Field – The Mandarin may encase opponents in a field of heavy gravity, pinning them to the surfaces.
    Magnetic Levitation – The Mandarin may utilize electromagnetic fields to levitate and manipulate objects.
    Image Projection – The Mandarin may project holographic illusions. He can also produce multiple images to confuse an opponent, or make a substantially larger version of himself.

Black Light Ring (Right Little Finger): This Ring allows the Mandarin to create an area of darkness, presumably using Darkforce energy to do so.

Disintegration Beam Ring (Right Ring Finger): This ring allows the Mandarin to project a beam of energy capable of destroying the bonds between the atoms and molecules, causing inanimate objects to disintegrate. This ring must recharge for 20 minutes after each use.

Vortex Beam Ring (Right Middle Finger): The ring causes the air to move about at high speed in a vortex. The vortex can be used as an offensive weapon, as a means of levitating objects, or as a means of propelling the ring's wearer through the air.

Impact Beam Ring (Right Index Finger): This Ring allows the Mandarin to generate and project various beams of concussive force.

Force Blast (Electron Beam, Neutron Beam) – The Mandarin may project blasts of concussive energy.
    Sonic Beam – The Mandarin may project waves of high-intensity sound.

Matter-Rearranger Ring (Right Thumb): This Ring allows the Mandarin to manipulate the atomic and molecular structures of matter. It cannot transmute elements or affect objects encased in force or energy fields.

Poison Gas – The Mandarin may transform the surrounding air into a Toxic gas.
    Solidify Gas – The Mandarin may solidify the air around opponents, encasing them in blocks of cement-like material.
    Rearrange costume and/or alter appearance. "

@Savage Misanthrope. You're wrong. Aldrich Killian is already his own character. http://marvel.wikia.com/Aldrich_Killian_%28Earth-616%29 I understand the symbolism of him claiming to be The Mandarin. In the story he was the idea of The Mandarin that he created for the public, but he was not the Marvel Comics character known as The Mandarin. He was simply the Aldrich Killian of universe 199999.

I wouldn't be nearly as sour if they didn't show The Mandarin's rings in the previews. There were other things I didn't like about the movie, but I don't give enough of a shit anymore to keep typing.

Saw this last night it was amazing!

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed it thoroughly... However I'm really disappointed with Robert Downey Jr and Gwyneth Paltrow's performance this time around. Their chemistry in Avenger's is spot on, and previous Iron Man movies h ave been fantastic. Their relationship in this movie however, is theatrically frigid. I 'get' that they're apparently having issues (Though this is never really detailed, beyond quite literally having it stated, which is poor form). It just seems that there's just nothing going on, positive or negative.

I also felt that the Mandarin (the actual one) was poorly represented. He wasn't remotely intimidating, scary, or really all that intelligent, beyond a cute stunt he pulled. I really feel that villain development failed in that regard. Considering that the villains so far have stayed closer to original content, this time it strayed faaaaar from it. WTB Fin Fang Foom.

I think it's also a bit confusing that they mixed the history of Aldrich and Mandarin into a new spin. Clever, but confusing.

I felt they spent too much time with the kid, as well, yet never developed it further. It felt like... filler, and not plot.

Otherwise, fantastic movie. I know it sounds like I'm harping on the movie, however those were the only issues I had, and I -thoroughly- enjoyed it otherwise. I'll certainly buy the DVD as soon as it comes out. Worth seeing in theaters.
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-05-05 at 07:51 AM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

The movie felt more like a variation/continuation of Lethal Weapon series. Even though I did like the tie-in to Phase 2, I was not even remotely satisfied with the movie, thanks to:
    - Tony's kid-sidekick
    - Pepper becoming not Pepper (Saying this as someone who read through her being Rescue)
    - Maya Hansen showcased as "just another girl"
    - Extremis storyline being mixed-up with Stane Jr. one.
    - Exaggerated armor failures
    - Terrible showcasing of Mark 42's mobility
    - Too many important details only shown yet not properly presented
    - Too much content in a single movie

etc. Barely a 6/10 and that is for RDJ, Paul Bettany and Don Cheadle's performance along with the Iron Man label on this abomination of a movie.

All in all RDJ put up a good performance but I ain't paying for a movie directed by Shane Black similar to how I won't be paying for a movie directed by Mark Webb (Thanks to the abominable reboot namely the Amazing-Spider Man).

Now looking forward to James Mangold not making it into my blacklist.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Misanthrope View Post
    No, I am not wrong.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/05/0...rin-spoiler/3/

Quote from the director of the movie:

Read the rest of the article for further detail. But it is a blending of two characters and an update. Similar to Ra's al ghul from Batman. Sorry he wasn't a Chinese guy with a Fu-manchu mustache and magic rings. Also, they were very upfront that The Mandarin would not have magic rings, they stated that multiple times in interviews way before the film released.
    Just because the director says something doesn't make it true. It's nothing fucking like the Mandarin from the comics. Yes, there is deviation from the comics with all the characters, but this is too much. Just because the director of Dragon Ball: Evolution said that his film was accurate if you compare it to Dragon Ball instead of DBZ, doesn't make it true.

And your example of Ra's al Ghul doesn't really work, because he's actually used Henri Ducard as an alias in some continuities. Trained Batman too. It's something from the comics, not something the director pulled from their ass. The Mandarin was hyped up and instead we got Aldrich Killian on drugs.

Also, I'm done with spoiler tags. There's already so many spoilers in this thread and on this page I don't think it matters. And sorry I didn't read interviews leading up to the release of the movie. It's still a dick move to have, "The Mandarin" wearing 10 rings and then have it not be real.

I've loved the movies in the 199999 universe because of how closely they've stuck to their source material. Yes, there have always been differences, but they've still been the most faithful representations of the comic book characters in movies to date. This movie did not hold up to that standard, no matter how you want to justify it with director statements about their vision for the movie.

Spoilers:

My point was that the character of Trevor Slattery wasn't the Mandarin, it was Guy Pearce. People keep saying they turned the Mandarin into a joke because they fail to recognize that fact, and it is a fact. And yes, because the Director says it is (AND MARVEL SIGNED OFF ON IT), does in fact make it true for his film. That is his interpretation of the Mandarin, your nerd rage doesn't suddenly make that untrue no matter how mad you get. I screamed bloody murder at the Fantastic Four films (which were horrible in and of themselves) because they made The Silver Surfer get the Power Cosmic from his surfboard and when they chose the most ridiculous version of Galactus from the comic books imaginable. But despite my hatred for the movie creator's "vision", that doesn't change the fact that in that particular iteration of those characters, that is what they were.

But as I said in my first post, go all out and criticize the Director's interpretation of the Mandarin in the character of Aldrich, so long as you recognize the fact that he was in fact the Mandarin and not Trevor Slattery. You don't like it, a lot of uncompromising comic book fans do, and that is totally legitimate. You're mad he didn't have alien magic rings, you're mad that he didn't have a fu manchu stache and he was a white guy with dragon tattoos on his chest. That's fine. He didn't match the source material for the character, rail away.

My point with Ra's al Ghul was that in the comic books he is an immortal, while in the Batman films he is just a persona used by whoever is leading the League of Shadow to strike fear in their enemies. There were Ra's al Ghuls before Liam Neeson and there would have been more after him as well if Batman hadn't essentially destroyed the league. This is in comparison with the Mandarin, Aldrich created and used that persona as a conduit of his words and a manifestation of how he saw himself.

I think of it this way, if Aldrich were in another film like a sequel, how do you think he would appear? In my opinion, he would 100% embrace the mantle of The Mandarin. The walk, the talk, the dress maybe. That is how Aldrich envisioned himself when you sliced away all he had to pretend to be. But again, no Fu manchu stache or magic rings, and that is something that the fans can't apparently get past.
    I understand that Aldrich Killian is officially this universe's version of The Mandarin, because The Mandarin, the comic book character, does not exist at all in this universe. My point is that he's nothing like The Mandarin from the comic books. He's just a slightly more crazy version of Aldrich Killian that took a powerful drug. The comic book character known as The Mandarin simply doesn't exist in this universe, period.

Also, just fyi, I really don't care what Marvel thinks. 90% of their writers are fucking dumb. Stan Lee is one of the only people at Marvel that I actually respect concerning their opinions. Yes, I still haven't gotten over Pre Retcon Beyonder, even though that happened before I was born. I doubt anything the Marvel writers could ever do would shake that from my mind and as such it's permanently colored my perceptions of their writing ability and sanity.

People complaining about the Mandarin -

You do understand that Ben Kingsley wasn't the Mandarin right? It was Aldrich. Stop saying that they turned the Mandarin into a joke just because Aldrich used someone else for his public face; because you're missing the entire point. Aldrich, the man working behind the scenes; killing people making things explode kidnapping etc etc is "The Mandarin". Ben Kingsley was just the patsy he created for the world to chase.

Now, feel free to complain about this movie's interpretation of Mandarin in the character Aldrich (Guy Pearce), and whether you thought he was a good representation of the comic book villain. But please stop saying they turned the Mandarin into one big joke, it makes me feel like I am taking crazy pills. Ben Kingsley =/ The Mandarin.....Guy Pearce = The Mandarin. That is the whole point. Aldrich created the persona of the Mandarin, whether he calls himself by that name or uses a patsy as the public face it doesn't matter. He killed those people, he hatched the plans, he WAS the Mandarin.

And I am saying this from someone who would probably give the film a high C or low B, 78 - 82% range.

SPOLIER

You do understand that Killian and Mandarin are both Characters in the comics right? Not only that Mandarin is one of IMs marque villains for them to mash him together with a lesser known for a cheap twist is a slap in the face to the fans. Would be like Making the Joker really Harvey Dent.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Deleted
    I saw the movie and tought that the first two were better, was kinda dissapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I understand that Aldrich Killian is officially this universe's version of The Mandarin, because The Mandarin, the comic book character, does not exist at all in this universe. My point is that he's nothing like The Mandarin from the comic books. He's just a slightly more crazy version of Aldrich Killian that took a powerful drug. The comic book character known as The Mandarin simply doesn't exist in this universe, period.

Also, just fyi, I really don't care what Marvel thinks. 90% of their writers are fucking dumb. Stan Lee is one of the only people at Marvel that I actually respect concerning their opinions. Yes, I still haven't gotten over Pre Retcon Beyonder, even though that happened before I was born. I doubt anything the Marvel writers could ever do would shake that from my mind and as such it's permanently colored my perceptions of their writing ability and sanity.
    Take a chill pill man. You are overexaggerating it a bit. It is normal to feel betrayed after how Mandarin was showcased in those trailers and it would have been more satisfying/fulfilling if a better tying was done as to why the Mandarin they put in there was resembling that of the one shown in comics series as in saying:
    "The Mandarin was the great advisor of Emperor ... during the ... dynasty who took over the rein by the power of mystical rings" along with the Mandarin shown shooting out light in those videos to hint at a ghost that returned etc. Parallel to that of the animated Invincible Iron Man movie. But they didn't and the current version did not leave that much of a great taste.

However, the earth Earth-199999 where the Marvel Cinematic Universe takes place is almost parallel to the storylines set in Earth-1610 namely the Ultimate series, so its not a suprise for them to conlude the movie in such a manner which is a more than possible action to take considering the variations among different comic series that focus on Iron Man on any degree. So it wasn't too much of going out of their way in portrating the character as such.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    SPOLIER

You do understand that Killian and Mandarin are both Characters in the comics right? Not only that Mandarin is one of IMs marque villains for them to mash him together with a lesser known for a cheap twist is a slap in the face to the fans. Would be like Making the Joker really Harvey Dent.
    ...and by the way, the Aldrich Killian was almost a nobody in 616 (or any other parallel universe except 199999) except his three-pages of appearance among the total of ~80 pages long extremis arc.

WHY HAVE HIM IN THE MOVIE?

That's all you have to ask. If their "Version" of a character is a 100% complete DEVIATION from the source material... they why even take the god damn time to have him in the film? Just make it some generic "terrorist" and be done with it.

I don't care what the director says, he clearly should of just stopped at KKBB, and left that as his lasting legacy -_-

edit: So when Thanos appears on film, and he's actually just a hologram made up by the CIA, no one will be upset, right?
    Last edited by fangless; 2013-05-05 at 05:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post
    WHY HAVE HIM IN THE MOVIE?

That's all you have to ask. If their "Version" of a character is a 100% complete DEVIATION from the source material... they why even take the god damn time to have him in the film? Just make it some generic "terrorist" and be done with it.

I don't care what the director says, he clearly should of just stopped at KKBB, and left that as his lasting legacy -_-

edit: So when Thanos appears on film, and he's actually just a hologram made up by the CIA, no one will be upset, right?
    Because it's an adaption, not a copy. Story/comic/whatever characters don't always do well in film form, so they are changed.

Most people aren't upset by this change and won't be upset if they change other characters in the future. Why? It's a movie, it's aimed at pleasing the movie viewers and tweaked so it fits together better as a film.

Either 1. They haven't read the comics anyway, 2. They have and understand it's a comic to film adaption and just enjoy it for what it is, or 3. See the changes and get pissed about it.

Tom Bombadil was my absolute favorite character in Lord of the Rings and was left out. I wish he had been added but it wasn't a huge deal. In GoT they have merged a ton of characters I really liked into someone else, I wish they hadn't but it's not a huge deal.

For die-hard comic fans I can understand why you'd wish at had been different, but don't act like everyone should share your outrage. The 4 guys I went to see it with all looooved the comics and didn't see a huge deal in the changes.

Just saw it yesterday, very good. Not guna ruin anything but I did find the villain's 'power' no be a little over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Cambria View Post
    Because it's an adaption, not a copy. Story/comic/whatever characters don't always do well in film form, so they are changed.

Most people aren't upset by this change and won't be upset if they change other characters in the future. Why? It's a movie, it's aimed at pleasing the movie viewers and tweaked so it fits together better as a film.

Either 1. They haven't read the comics anyway, 2. They have and understand it's a comic to film adaption and just enjoy it for what it is, or 3. See the changes and get pissed about it.

Tom Bombadil was my absolute favorite character in Lord of the Rings and was left out. I wish he had been added but it wasn't a huge deal. In GoT they have merged a ton of characters I really liked into someone else, I wish they hadn't but it's not a huge deal.

For die-hard comic fans I can understand why you'd wish at had been different, but don't act like everyone should share your outrage. The 4 guys I went to see it with all looooved the comics and didn't see a huge deal in the changes.
    It is an adaptation, you're right. It's also, in my opinion, a horrible adaptation. They've changed things about every character in Earth 199999, but they've kept the core of those characters faithful to their comic book counterparts. The portrayal of The Mandarin in Iron Man 3 was not up to the level of quality that I now expect out of movies from this universe.

@fangless. It would most certainly annoy me if they did that with Thanos. I doubt they will. What they'll do instead is nerf the crap out of him. As it stands right now, if we're going with comic book Thanos, he can kill everyone on The Avengers in one blow if he really goes all out. Even dicking around he can easily kill anyone but Thor and The Hulk. They really need Silver Surfer or Warlock to contend with Thanos.

I doubt Thanos will have even 1/1000000th of the power that he does in the comics. Though I can't really blame them for nerfing him, I mean, we are talking about a guy that can literally blow up planets with hardly any effort. Thanos is a versatile enough character though that can just play him as a master manipulator and scientist for most of it, then bust out some "slightly stronger than Thor" type moves for the finale.

This is just me but I liked it better than 2 but not quite as good as 1 overall. I didn't like the twist and at times it felt a somewhat sluggish. Loved the end battle though and the post credits scene. Now back to Thor!

Wow. What an abomination.

First of all, they take the Mandarin, Iron Man's archenemy, and turn him into a joke. They don't even include him in the movie! And don't tell me that Killian was the Mandarin, he was NOT.

Secondly, they make 50 Iron Men and have them be controlled by a computer. There should only be one Iron Man, TONY STARK.

Also, all Tony has to do now is sit on his couch and control a suit while watching TV. He doesn't even have to be in it. So he can go save the world and his suit could get torn to pieces but he'd be on the other side of the world and be perfectly fine.

Those are just a couple of problems. This movie ruined Iron Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerdus View Post
    Wow. What an abomination.

First of all, they take the Mandarin, Iron Man's archenemy, and turn him into a joke. They don't even include him in the movie! And don't tell me that Killian was the Mandarin, he was NOT.

[B]Secondly, they make 50 Iron Men and have them be controlled by a computer. There should only be one Iron Man, TONY STARK.

Also, all Tony has to do now is sit on his couch and control a suit while watching TV. He doesn't even have to be in it. So he can go save the world and his suit could get torn to pieces but he'd be on the other side of the world and be perfectly fine.[/B]

Those are just a couple of problems. This movie ruined Iron Man.
    Think you missed the big point. For most of the movie, Tony Stark is the guy doing the action, outside his armor. The moral of the story was that Tony Stark was Iron Man, gadgets or not. He's a technician who fixes things, not an overpowered suit of armor.

I still do think the empty armors got owned a bit too easy, Extremewhateverthingy or not.

Deleted
    I think that a lot of these people who are obsessed with the comics of iron man are missing the point that this film was not only made for them.

Anyways, my thoughts on the movie.

Im a massive iron man fan, i have been since i watched the cartoons as a child, and i love everything about it, this film, far outweighs the second film in terms of story line and bad guys and what not, what the normal movie go-er will want to see anyways!!!! If it werent for all these "mandarin pharse QQQQQQQ" people, it would be recognised universally. Still the first movie is by far the superior movie in this franchise.

Killian was the mandarin, get over it you guys who keep saying the mandarin was destroyed blaa blaa, he proclaims that fact towards the end of the movie. It was just a portrayal of the comic version character, nothing more. If he was like the mandarin in the comic books, id still be in the theatre watching the 30hour movie because if iron man could beat the comic book mandarin in 2 hours, heck if they could put the lore behind the rings in the story in 2 hours, it would be a very packed 2hours to say the least, just think about the green lantern, this film, in 2 hours, did not get as good a reception as it should have from the comic bookers. I find the change to be very satisfactory for the people who love the RDJ version of the iron man, i understand the comic book peoples frustration, but for crying out loud, if i can sit through "Jack Reacher" and come out having enjoyed the film, you can come out of this film and look at it from a different perspective too and find out that it was a good film....

I think the film followed on exactly like you would expect a real human being to react after the crazy fucked up happenings in Avengers Assemble, he was suffering, basically traumatised from what happened in that film, and it was portrayed really well. He went crazy trying to make himself better and make everyone safe and that led to him going over the top.

One point about the film that sucked, well, the sidekick child thing was bogus, really did not like that little kid, heck, i hate kids in movies who turn out to be useful, its just not for me....
    I disliked pepper in this film, she was well acted, but ... meh i did not like the things she managed to do in the film(especially at the end)

Overall, the rating on imdb is probably a little high, id say a 7.5/10 is a reasonable summary of this film.

p.s terrence howard still in my eyes is the better rhodey... just sayin...