Page 1 of 2
LastLast

A Simple Guide to Using SimulationCraft

After being tired of answering questions about individual stat weights I've thrown together a simple guide for using SimulationCraft. It's extremely simple but if there is interest in a much more detailed one, I'm happy to do it.

Intro and Basics
    The links for SimulationCraft and Reforge Lite can be found in the video description.

Here's the next step in learning how to use these tools:
    Gemming and Reforging,
    Last edited by CDShaidar; 2012-12-13 at 09:28 PM.
    Gamer, Nerd, Physicist. What more could you want?! Well fine, I have a youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/shaidyadvice and a stream: www.twitch.tv/shaidyadvice I'm currently spending my free time with the fine fellows and ladies over at Death and Taxes.

10+ Year Old Account
    This needs stickifying.

Also, you do nice encounter guides; really concise and helpful.

Thanks, the heroic guides tend to be much more educational as it's encounters we've actually spent time struggling with, the normal modes I do my best to guess where there might be issues, but it's always a bit of a craps shoot so to speak.
    Gamer, Nerd, Physicist. What more could you want?! Well fine, I have a youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/shaidyadvice and a stream: www.twitch.tv/shaidyadvice I'm currently spending my free time with the fine fellows and ladies over at Death and Taxes.

Good idea! Simcraft is so important, something that I could see people being intimidated by but really isn't that complicated.

Good work sir, everyone should be using simcraft!
    Cyner#1996

nice guide for those thinking of using simcraft

---------- Post added 2012-10-24 at 07:47 AM ----------

any reason why simcraft crashes for me whenever i run plot points for crit/haste/mastery?
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

does it only crash simC or does it lock up your whole computer?

Quote Originally Posted by CDShaidar View Post
    does it only crash simC or does it lock up your whole computer?
    only crashes simc
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edwadspaul8 View Post
    This needs stickifying.
    i second this

Quote Originally Posted by kaamila View Post
    only crashes simc
    You can open a issue ticket here: http://code.google.com/p/simulationcraft/issues/list other than that I'm not sure what else might be causing it, I know mine crashes if I try to do the reforge plots (not scale plots) but I think that might just be a memory hang for me.

5.0.5 rel 3 crashes for me as well, so reverted back to rel 2.

I had the issue with the crash as well, however on their Google Projects page they have a new build that seems to be attempting to fix this crash. I downloaded that last night and simcraft was able to run to completion. Seems to be an issue with running the plotter with multi-thread enabled.

Seriously how does one go about getting a sticky in these lock forums, both this and the list of live streams could use one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kaamila View Post
    any reason why simcraft crashes for me whenever i run plot points for crit/haste/mastery?
    I believe simc currently fails to handle plotting 3 reforge points, you should only plot 2 at a time until it's fixed.

As I said above from what the devs say they think it is an issue with multi-threading. They have posted up a test build to see if it resolves the issue with crashing (it did for me) which I included in my post above.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very nicely done. I have a question, though. I've run simc on my toon, and even though I'm using GoSac, it still shows damage from my pet, ie Felhunter's Shadowbite. What's going on with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Perne View Post
    Very nicely done. I have a question, though. I've run simc on my toon, and even though I'm using GoSac, it still shows damage from my pet, ie Felhunter's Shadowbite. What's going on with that?
    It sounds like a bug, make sure that at the top of your action list it states that you have the GoSac talent, was this for your destro or you afflic spec?

The default action list will do the sacrifice as the very first in-combat action, allowing the felhunter to get a single shadow bite in before it dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    I believe simc currently fails to handle plotting 3 reforge points, you should only plot 2 at a time until it's fixed.
    actually i solved this using only 1 thread for simcraft... i've got crash with 2 and 4 threads. with 1 its longer the wait but it goes smoothly

as i'm maining an affliction warlock atm i'm simming with plotting for hit, crit, haste and mastery, just to know when its more usefull to add that bit of hit that otherwise is useless
    Last edited by albatross1; 2012-10-26 at 11:53 PM.