Help with Stormstrike Macro

So I use this same macro for my Earth Shock, and that fire one so that I will keep attacking after it is used, but it doesn't seem to work with Stormstrike, and while I'm only leveling still, and it's not a big deal yet, I want to get it sorted out now.

#showtooltip Stormstrike.

/cast Stormstrike.
    /startattack.

NOTE: If it's two words that is how I have it in game, I just am lazy and don't feel like looking it up right now, as I'm kinda multitasking at the moment, but assume that I have the spell ability correctly named in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Damerflinn View Post
    So I use this same macro for my Earth Shock, and that fire one so that I will keep attacking after it is used, but it doesn't seem to work with Stormstrike, and while I'm only leveling still, and it's not a big deal yet, I want to get it sorted out now.

/cast Stormstrike.
    /startattack.

NOTE: If it's two words that is how I have it in game, I just am lazy and don't feel like looking it up right now, as I'm kinda multitasking at the moment, but assume that I have the spell ability correctly named in game.
    Um im not entirely sure but if you have the full stops at the end of every line of ur macro i dont think it will work. Other than that, it looks fine to me
    Also u shouldnt need a startattack macro for stormstrike, i believe that you start attacking str8 after you hit the target with stormstrike
    Last edited by mjolnrik; 2012-10-22 at 08:42 PM.

By full stops are you talking about the periods? Those aren't in the macro in game, just a bit of habbit when typing. If not then I don't know what you're talking about by full stops.

I didn't think that I would need one either as it is a melee ability, which shouldn't need one. But I don't continue to attack after I use it. When I get on later, I'll see if it works without the macro. But I'm pretty sure I made the macro because it wasn't attacking, and thought it would work like it does for my spell abilities.

By full stops are you talking about the periods? Those aren't in the macro in game, just a bit of habbit when typing. If not then I don't know what you're talking about by full stops.

I didn't think that I would need one either as it is a melee ability, which shouldn't need one. But I don't continue to attack after I use it. When I get on later, I'll see if it works without the macro. But I'm pretty sure I made the macro because it wasn't attacking, and thought it would work like it does for my spell abilities.
    Yea i did mean the periods, but if you dont have them in the game then i honestly dont see anything wrong with the macro. What exactly is it doing wen u click the macro? Like is it casting stormstrike just not auto attacking or is it saying the lines to the chat window? It might be just a case of having a space before a line in the macro or something silly like that

You shouldn't use "points" at the end of each line

so
    #showtooltip
    /cast Stormstrike
    /startattack

and not
    /cast Stormstrike.
    /startattack.

Turns out I was just impatient. It was attacking afterwards, and working fine, it just has like a .5 - .75 second delay before the attacks begin again. I'm guessing this is because I'm a baddie and am using a dagger in my off hand. (I'm not even level 40 yet and it's hard to get a hold of weapons with so many monks in dungeons these days and will replace it as soon as possible.) So I was just not waiting long enough and it is all working fine.

@Woopty, read shit before you post, I said I didn't have the periods in there in game a few posts above. Thanks for the help though guys.

Turns out I was just impatient. It was attacking afterwards, and working fine, it just has like a .5 - .75 second delay before the attacks begin again. I'm guessing this is because I'm a baddie and am using a dagger in my off hand. (I'm not even level 40 yet and it's hard to get a hold of weapons with so many monks in dungeons these days and will replace it as soon as possible.) So I was just not waiting long enough and it is all working fine.

@Woopty, read shit before you post, I said I didn't have the periods in there in game a few posts above. Thanks for the help though guys.
    Glad its all working out for your =D. I had been looking online and apparently most of these problems about not auto attacking were solved just by relogging which may have fixed it for you since .75 seconds is a pretty short amount of time, but anyway im glad its working whatever happened xD

I don't know if it makes any difference but I always put /startattack as the first command.

One reason I keep the /startattack in all of my attack macros (even melee specials), is that if my target dies, and my next-in-priority ability is on CD, then I can spam the button for when it comes off of CD, starting white attacks on my new target.

I'm not 100% sure that SS, or any other melee specials, will still put you in the /startattack posture, if said ability is on CD, when you hit it. I suspect that the /startattack only happens as a secondary function of the SS having already executed (could be wrong - just a guess).

Let me just add something to all this ... I too macro /startattack to abilities to facilitate target acquisition. However, with Stormstrike (and with Aimed Shot on my Hunter) I do not. This is due to the fact that Ascendance change SS into an entirely different ability with an entirely different spell ID and it will NOT change if you have macro'd it.

(Barring Blizz having stealth-fixed this)

Anything casuals can do, hardcores can do better. Casuals had a good idea with QQing to force change, but we can improve it tenfold or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinedan View Post
    Let me just add something to all this ... I too macro /startattack to abilities to facilitate target acquisition. However, with Stormstrike (and with Aimed Shot on my Hunter) I do not. This is due to the fact that Ascendance change SS into an entirely different ability with an entirely different spell ID and it will NOT change if you have macro'd it.

(Barring Blizz having stealth-fixed this)
    I've been using the same macro I've had for 5 years and it has worked fine without any need to alter it when MoP launched. Not really sure why it doesn't work for you.

I can second what Gromthak said. My (older) SS still activates Stormblast, when ascendance is active.