Thread: penance nerf?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

penance nerf?

a while back they hot fixed penance to its current ~ 1k + 105% of spell power (which was worked out to be a buff above 5 man gearing)

the front page is now saying that its been reverted to ~6k + 63.5% (wowhead news says that the change is JUST to the healing portion while the damage remains 1k + 105%)

Deleted
    Penance now heals for 6,606 + 63.5% of SP, up from 1,000 + 103.7% of SP
    They both refer to healing, so i doubt they changed damage

15+ Year Old Account
    regardless it seems odd that they're re-nerfing us at raid level =/

Deleted
    Maybe they want to enforce using penance for atonement rather than to directly heal someone? But yes, it seems very odd. Didn't think discipline needed a nerf right now. Or is it really good in pvp or something?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ati View Post
    Maybe they want to enforce using penance for atonement rather than to directly heal someone? But yes, it seems very odd. Didn't think discipline needed a nerf right now. Or is it really good in pvp or something?
    Ahahaha.... disc is the worst healer spec (possibly any spec) in pvp right now.

How is this a nerf?!!?

For argument sake lets just pretend SP = 8000.

Before: 1000 + 103.7% SP = 9296.
    Now: 6606 + 63.5% SP = 11686.

Unless i am missing something or my math is terribad this change is a small buff, not a nerf.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxickbunny View Post
    How is this a nerf?!!?

Unless i am missing something or my math is terribad this change is a small buff, not a nerf.
    As always with changes, people only look at a figure that's reduced compared to before, it could say 100000 + 63.5%, still wouldn't change the perception of most as the latter is lower then before, nvm trying to math it out..

Are you like, level 80?

it is a nerf at raidlvl since you have over 20k spell at 90 already without full raidgear (with raidbuffs)
    Thanks for that awesome signature i4ni

http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/characte...ck/Ravy/simple

Deleted
    @Toxickbunny

Anything with a lower +% will scale into a nerf. It's good that you did the maths, but you should take realistic numbers and use a forseeable range.

For argument sake lets just pretend SP = 20000.

Before: 1000 + (20000*1.037) = 21740.
    Now: 6606 + (20000*0.635) = 19306.

And the gap will only get larger.

However, back on topic, I believe it may have something to do with the 4 piece healing set in PvE. It's rather incredible, and still will be. I could see even that getting nerfed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    regardless it seems odd that they're re-nerfing us at raid level =/
    Hey, Disc is rediciolously op in PvE right now, and don't get me started about PvP, they deserve every nerf they get!!1
    I hope Blizzard will nerf them even more, then i will maybe play my priest again, i don't want to play that op shit in PvP right now...
    CPU:i5-3570k@0,930V MB:ASUS P8Z77-V GPU:GTX 680 Lightning RAM:8GB DDR3 1600

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzhe View Post
    As always with changes, people only look at a figure that's reduced compared to before, it could say 100000 + 63.5%, still wouldn't change the perception of most as the latter is lower then before, nvm trying to math it out..
    Isn't it ironic that you're implying other people are lazy whiners when it's actually you who was too lazy to "math it out"?

In heroic blues, the scaling portion already results in a nerf. As gear levels increase, the nerf will become even more noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskaejay View Post
    @Toxickbunny

Anything with a lower +% will scale into a nerf. It's good that you did the maths, but you should take realistic numbers and use a forseeable range.

For argument sake lets just pretend SP = 20000.

Before: 1000 + (20000*1.037) = 21740.
    Now: 6606 + (20000*0.635) = 19306.

And the gap will only get larger.

However, back on topic, I believe it may have something to do with the 4 piece healing set in PvE. It's rather incredible, and still will be. I could see even that getting nerfed.
    Thank you for clarifying, when i used a more realistic SP figure i got the same result - my bad, sorry.

I get what you saying about the PvE set bonus, with the cast while moving glyph it does seem like it may be a bit OP, i just still find it odd that Disc would get any type of nerf in its current state. Thats why when i saw this post I thought "no way it cant be a nerf".

Memo to self: Never underestimate Bliz's evilness!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dklol View Post
    Hey, Disc is rediciolously op in PvE right now, and don't get me started about PvP, they deserve every nerf they get!!1
    I hope Blizzard will nerf them even more, then i will maybe play my priest again, i don't want to play that op shit in PvP right now...
    then how come all you see on the forums at the moment is how priests are in bottom place compared to other healers? O_o

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't see how shorter cooldown on Penance would make that spell overpowered in PvE. It's not like it's completely superior to everything else Disc has and is the only thing holding this spec together. Hell, it doesn't even work with Spirit Shell. Sure, casting while moving is a nice thing, but I really doubt it would break the bosses due to being OP.

I assume it's either PvP based chance (not that it makes much sense either, nerfing Disc?) or just incorrect data mining. No change is listed in official post, so I remain skeptical.

I think what would unbalance things is that Penance is a relatively low cost spell, a lower CD would make Penance quite attractive. Its also one of the higher HP/M spells from what i have seen on a few charts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    then how come all you see on the forums at the moment is how priests are in bottom place compared to other healers? O_o
    The sarcasm isn't hard to get with the clues i gave...
    Who would write that he doesn't play his priest because he is too op? and !!1
    CPU:i5-3570k@0,930V MB:ASUS P8Z77-V GPU:GTX 680 Lightning RAM:8GB DDR3 1600

Deleted
    I use penance primarily for stacking grace on the tank during atonement healing. It's amazing for that, with the cooldown reduction I can easily keep it up on both tanks and get some atonement heals with it too.

It's a very powerful, cheap, cast-on-the-move, grace-stacking, instant spell

The reduction of the cooldown will show big results, I think.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dklol View Post
    The sarcasm isn't hard to get with the clues i gave...
    Who would write that he doesn't play his priest because he is too op? and !!1
    one could say the same, text is never a good medium for sarcasm =p

OT - interestingly the damage is retaining its higher output, so we'd actually be BETTER OFF using penance on the boss . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Toxickbunny View Post
    How is this a nerf?!!?

Its a huge nerf. Say you do have 8k sp right now. Next tier you will have a ton more. So in the long wrong yes its a nerf.