Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Recount for Diablo 3?

As we know, there is so meny different ways to do DPS in Diablo 3. I guess we need a recount as we need it for a WoW, specially for a group run.

Nah, we don't. In D3 so long as stuff dies, that's all that matters. Not who did the most damage. Especially not when playing single player: you'll know if you're failing because you're dying.

So no, no recount necessary or even wanted, thanks. But you could just be trolling, in which case... Eh. *shrug*

diablo 3's recount will take the form of a massive quantity of youtube clips

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be nice to have.. But Blizz has already stated that there will be NO addons for D3. So if the community wants it, they're going to have to bug blizzard to build it for you. Or maybe you'll be able to do something to analyze outside the game, WoL style.

That being said, the person doing the most damage is by no means the most useful. All classes have party buffs for like 20% for a limited amount of time, or increased health pools, healing etc.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

it would be weird but i guess could be useful for some elitist kind of players

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Survivability and proper skill swapping to accommodate immunities, etc is going to make or break you in areas of the game that matter (Inferno). Outside Inferno, running DPS meters would be like running DPS meters in Stockades (mostly pointless).
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Recount would serve absolutely no purpose with Diablo 3. Diablo =/= WoW, in Diablo roles are extremely class specific, you can tell when an individual is slacking. Also, I am pretty sure Blizzard had stated that they are not supporting Addons with Diablo 3. I tried to find the source but my work has most of these websites cut off...

When Diablo 3 launches there are going to be millions of people disappointed because Diablo 3 is not WoW2...

Deleted
    Nah, we don't need that. Why would you need a Recount?
    This game is all about avoiding damage and survive against dozens of mobs.
    Recount would be a waste of resources.

Now, a decent combat log? That would be nice, specially on Nightmare! The usefulness that knowing how you died can't be measured!

10+ Year Old Account
    GOD no, combat logs yes, but a recount style addon, that would no doubt get spammed by bads? GOD no
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    This isnt wow.. in diablo most shit dies to 1 to 2 hits... are you serious????

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosonia View Post
    This isnt wow.. in diablo most shit dies to 1 to 2 hits... are you serious????
    I got it..i got it..can someone please close that thread please?

If you want to know what builds and classes do the most damage, you will with or without combat logging. People in D2 already have speed clearing competitions for various levels, including CS, WSK, Pit, and Cows, as well as random other competitions people do amongst themselves. By seeing what builds continually rank at or near the top, people will make it obvious what is best.

Quote Originally Posted by Quakefan View Post
    As we know, there is so meny different ways to do DPS in Diablo 3. I guess we need a recount as we need it for a WoW, specially for a group run.
    I'm going with a LOLWUT??? response here. Diablo is different from WoW in the sense that positioning matters. Fights will therefore never be a pure mathematical sum of stats, but depend for a great deal on the players capability to avoid getting damage. If there should be any recount, it would have to be only for damage received, because damage done is not nearly as interesting as it is in WoW.

Most of the community doesn't really demand 'optimum play' (and neither does the game) and thus no need for damage meters. It also helps that a ton more people play with friends instead of randoms.

Damage received doesn't matter either. Your "group contribution" is totally meaningless, as long as everyone stays alive and continues killing. It's not like WoW where you're locked in combat with a boss who will two shot you if you your tank goes down and runs at ten times normal movespeed so you can't get away. You don't have enrage timers and DPS races, you don't have healers with mana. In Diablo, every member of the group can and should be able to solo/take care of himself, you're only working together for fun and maybe to take care of act bosses like Duriel who are just a major PITA to 1v1, especially considering loot in D3 is personalized.

10+ Year Old Account
    idk bout a recount feature exactly but I agree it would be fun to see how many kills people have in a group, seeing as how I will be playing with 5 people (including myself) it would be fun to have a constant lil "Non important" competition with my friends. But once again it would be "Non important"
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Wounds View Post
    Myself, yes, I have always wanted to be a mod
    Probably not, the job sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never been a fan of dmg meters it makes "elitists" who think they are better than everyone else, I just want to play the game, kill some demons and enjoy myself!

WoW = do the most damage
    Diablo = WATCH OUT FOR THE FUCKING DOLLS, OMG OMG OMG OMG I'M GONNA DIE AHHH

Deleted
    In before lock!

Can people please for the love of god knock the idea of adds ons like recount, in diablo3 - did you even play diablo1/2 ? - or any other dungeon crawler game?! - I guess not.

... Group run?! - WHAT, Ive even heard people debating on how you want to set up the "perfect group", stfu already - its a dungeon crawler, not a mmo... god!

I rage so violently everytime I see this, it can mess up my day that this question even excists.

You want DPS ? - Look at your freaking char sheet, there is a nice number - now mash your keyboard skills and sent stuff flying.

On a more serious note;

Dungeon crawlers are games where you rather mindlessly smack through levels with utterly devastation around you, granted - it gets harder as you complete each play through and move on.

There are no, perfect groups, its just a game where you team with friends, smack whatever is in sight - have a good time.

Anyway, Rage mode is on burst fire atm, havnt slept for a day now and work in 2 hours, freaking kid keeps me awake all night, poor boy got some ear issues.

I wouldn't be too thrilled with a "Recount" type meter but a sort of Scoreboard would be cool. It could be an after-quest or after-Act pop up or have it viewable at all times. Perhaps have it track several things. How many monster kills? Deaths? How much loot? Healing items picked up? I guess you could put in a Damage or Heal scoring but I think some kind of "Contribution" score would be better.