Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Atonement healing on Heroic Gara'Jal

We are considering having me dps/heal in my shadow gear as the '3rd healer' on Heroic Gara'Jal this week.

Has anyone given this a shot? The numbers seem to work and I've seen a couple videos where it looked like a disc priest was primarily atonement healing.

This might seem like a silly question, but I am curious -- what stats are best for damage output as disc? I would think crit and haste, but I just don't know for sure. Smite, Holy Fire, and Penance will make up my main rotation using mindbender on cooldown. I don't think mana will be much of a concern as long as I can get to the spirit realm for regen.

In full dps gear and no reforges I was able to sustain almost 4 minutes of spamming smite/holyfire/penance/mindbender at 36K dps on the raid dummy.

I may do a little raid healing but my priority is going to be keeping damage up while letting my smart-heals do their work (usually healing the tank or voodoo dolls targets).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Burchoid; 2012-10-23 at 04:22 AM.

2-night progression raiding: http://www.fullspectrumguild.com
    Shadow-Raid Blog: http://shadow-raid.blogspot.com/

I actually play smiting as much as I can. However HF+Smite are quite expensive. Much more than in Cataclysm.

I stack as much spirit as I can, even though, the mana gets tight, smiting all the time.

You should keep your healing gear and use the spirit trinkets.

You can test at any dummie, and you'll see what I'm talking about!

@edit: Also use Power Word: Solace instead of Mindbender. It's great to regen mana!
    Last edited by Xamanaty; 2012-10-23 at 04:45 AM.
    Priest Healer - Azralon

"And if you see me please, just walk on by..."

you didnt understand what he is asking, mana wont be a problem he is looking for maximum damage output, of which it would be haste or crit since your mastery doesnt affect damage, i would go for crit since that would also increase healing aswell as damage through mastery. i'd probaby maintain SWP and use halo on cd if i was you.

Deleted
    i reforged to crit for it, since it affect heals as well, i had about 6k haste, 4k crit, but my smite had 0,9 sec cast time woth hero then. Oh and for mana - make sure you have enough before you enter spirit world or you wont be able to heal up people in time ^^ (was dpsing in shadow gear, with dps trinkets)
    Sadly we were wiping at last 30% cause we got killed by too many adds in spirit world -.-
    also try using halo inside spirit world for some extra damage on spirits

15+ Year Old Account
    you don't need any hit rating so you can reforge that away for the fight, probably into crit/haste as mastery only really increases the shields on the crit heals atonement does...

Deleted
    spirit->int->crit->haste, get 0 mastery. this is what u have to go for if u wanna be able to keep up the entire fight+use a few halo and any aoe healing at all apart from the 45sec free poh, great for challange mode aswel, can do gold runs with 30k dps like shit
    for this specific fight fuck spirit (if u ever will take over the spot as healer in spirit world
    Last edited by mmoc59cf3f9f95; 2012-10-23 at 11:14 AM.

Deleted
    Healers seem to forget this when DPSing but remember to use SWP

Deleted
    I don't know, if it helps, but 2 days ago our guild downed him first time on normal, and I played attonement only (without coming to spirit plane). Mana ended about 2 seconds before enrage, but I did about 32-33k dps overall (other healers was pala and monk).

Deleted
    Go for Int>haste>crit>spirit>mastery.
    Use Mindbender on cd and try to use it @the start right before bl.
    Keep SW:P on boss all the time and refresh it when you have PI or BL or some trinket proc on that's about to expire.
    Use Halo for this fight and start with a 200k+hit on boss@max range(Plus the additional damage on the spirit world from it).
    Be the last one from the healers to enter the spirit world cause your main prio is to dps.
    The other 2 healers should be able to outheal the dmg anyway.The only reason to go with 3healers on this fight is because one will prolly get Frail soul and the other Voodoo doll at the same time(Unless you are incredibly lucky).The only moments you will have to help is when 1healer is going down and the other one is about to get out of spirit world.As long as with a barrier at ~10%.
    Prepot with [Potion of the Jade Serpent] since i assume you will use your bl @start.
    When you don't have bl anymore pot again and use PI.
    Doing ~13m damage on that boss during the fight.(On our 1st kill i had done 11.5 cause i was healing more.)So aim for that amount of damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Burchoid View Post
    We are considering having me dps/heal in my shadow gear as the '3rd healer' on Heroic Gara'Jal this week.

Has anyone given this a shot? The numbers seem to work and I've seen a couple videos where it looked like a disc priest was primarily atonement healing.

This might seem like a silly question, but I am curious -- what stats are best for damage output as disc? I would think crit and haste, but I just don't know for sure. Smite, Holy Fire, and Penance will make up my main rotation using mindbender on cooldown. I don't think mana will be much of a concern as long as I can get to the spirit realm for regen.

In full dps gear and no reforges I was able to sustain almost 4 minutes of spamming smite/holyfire/penance/mindbender at 36K dps on the raid dummy.

I may do a little raid healing but my priority is going to be keeping damage up while letting my smart-heals do their work (usually healing the tank or voodoo dolls targets).

Thoughts?
    We still did not downed him on HC but we got like two nights on him so far.

If your DPSers are not killing adds in spirit realm that quick you cant continue in smitting after first time you get from spirit realm. Since it is not giving high enough healing to keep that much damage incoming. I am always Smiting up to first time i am going down into spirit realm.

But as I said it is still I think just gear check for damage classes.

+- I was doing 50k HPS at overall with non smitting. So you can imagine if atonement will be enough.
    Last edited by Vashi; 2012-10-23 at 12:46 PM.
    Retired... but for how long? WAS DRAGGED TO THE LEGION HYPETRAIN!!!

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Vashiq/simple

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll report back on how it goes and any changes/tweaks we make.

So should I not use a 3 ability DPS rotation? When testing on a raid dummy I got the best numbers and longest mana runtime using penance, holy fire, and smite while keeping mindbender and power infusion on cooldown.

I seemed to go oom sooner using only holy fire and smite with less dps.

I noticed when I popped my wings that my atonement damage remained the same, but smart heals were still increased by 25%. Should I use wings on cooldown also? Or save for OHSHIT moments? I think I could use it every 30 seconds.

If you get to go into the spirit realm, you won;t have to worry at all about mana. So, minimize spirit and mastery, as neither will help at all with DPS. Glyph HF and Smite, and rotation is HF -> Smite until holy fire DoT wears off (should be x4), then penance, then repeat.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a discipline priest even if you're job is to just smite, make sure you spiritshell tanks and raiders with voo doo dolls.

I'm an atonement healer full time, I stack straight up haste. I average about 40k hps and 40k dps on fights. My gear also works to heal normally, most people are under the impression that mana is a huge issue as a disc priest, I don't stack spirit and don't run out, just make time for solace.

http://worldoflogs.com/guilds/216631/

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Viruela/simple

As Divine Fury http://www.wowhead.com/spell=122098 does not affect SW:P I don't think it's worth it to keep it refreshed for Disc DPS.

With the Smite Glyph, maximize Smite time while the Holy Fire persists and then Penance when it fades. For this fight on heroic I am DPSing primarily but I find it worthwhile to get Shields out every once in a while to help out. This affects your DPS very little when factoring in Borrowed Time.
    Last edited by meddle; 2012-10-24 at 09:41 AM.

was needed and done by a few of us to make the enrage on 25h. Really shouldn't be needed anymore. If your raid needs it, don't think about it as dps. If people need healing, voodoo dolls are out, and the raid is taking damage heal. I shielded the voodoos, and hoped that the tank group had voodoos. (poh time)

Don't go downstairs with spirit shell up. sometimes those calls are split second. Have a cancel aura macro ready. Do have PI and archangel ready to go if you go down, depending on the comp (do you have a tranq or some heal assistance) you might need those or some assistaince to top people off. (at least I did on 25 depending) You can add alot to the dps though, when you look at the many many sub 4 percent and even 1 percent wipes guilds were having with that, every bit helps. Especially when damage is light, strong healers or raid cd's are up up top, tanks are bopped, you can toss in quite a few holy fires and smites. Make sure you have a barrier for sub 10 percent, and a pain suppression at the end as well.

Good luck.

Edit. I also stacked the death out of mastery for it. Reason being were split second voodoo saves, and a bigger cushion out there. Worked well. At least for 25. You may wish to go with crit.

Oh and pack halo, and make sure you have it downstairs!
    Last edited by priestingalong; 2012-10-24 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vanityking View Post
    most people are under the impression that mana is a huge issue as a disc priest, I don't stack spirit and don't run out, just make time for solace.
    Should I be taking Solace over Mindbender? Mindbender seems to give quite a bit of mana and is up every minute for a nice boost in damage. Solace is only .7% mana return??? Sounds weak?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by meddle View Post
    As Divine Fury http://www.wowhead.com/spell=122098 does not affect SW:P I don't think it's worth it to keep it refreshed for Disc DPS.
    Check your Spell Hit ingame.

you only need to cast like 5-8 solace (i dont remember the exact amount) per min to get the same amount of mana mind binder gives.There is time to cast this and more solace in every fight, unless people are messing up of course. Stone guard after the explosion, feng, in between epicenters/draw flames/arcane explosion/ect, spirit kings too easy to care lol, phase 2 and 3 elegon (mainly 3), and the emperor's combos. there is always time to use solace, it may seem like a little mana but if you look in my logs, i cast 60-100 solace per fight, 0.7% of my mana is 2100, times 80 (the avarage) is 168,000 mana + all the mana of the regular shadowfiend. Maybe mindbender is better for keeping your mana up while you're healing but if you run out of mana you are useless. Suppose you hate dpsing and healing, with solace, if you run out of mana, you can get mana back while you wait for your shadowfiend.

I am our 'third healer' disc priest for Heroic Gara'jal. I reforge every single piece of spirit I can off of my gear. It means absolutely nothing if you are doing the fight correctly. My stat priority is int>haste>crit>mastery>spirit. I do not oom. Reason? The spirit realm. I only go in if the other two healers cannot, and when inside I come out with full mana.

Just remember:

-Holy Fire & Penance on CD
    -Smite Your Balls Off
    -Keep SWP Up
    -Solace if you feel you need the regen (You shouldnt)
    -Shield tanks, and Voodoo Doll Targets
    -Use your barrier, and PS early on so that you can have it for sub 20%
    -USE DPS TRINKETS. Your not really "healing". Healing trinkets will do nothing for you.
    -Make sure you are using int food, int flask, and PREPOT before the pull with a dps pot. The initial burst damage of your raid can make or break the fight.

Hope that helped. Any questions feel free to PM. I was averaging about 45k DPS.