Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Ah so they are a bunch of lemmings who can't think for themselves? Gotcha.

Are those guys raiders or something? I've seen that kugan name thrown around before, I assume he is some big shot wow raider?

Quote Originally Posted by ControlBlue View Post
    I will probably get a lot of hate for that, but what do you guys think of the fact that both Towellie and Kungen, which are somewhat considered the cream of popular PvE streams both came to the conclusion that GW2 PvE was terrible. Towellie is going so far as encouraging people to refund GW2.
    For the type of players that are Kungen and Towllie-- and to an extend their fans, Guild Wars 2 was never going to satisfy their PVE desires.

Many players of Guild Wars 2 jumped on a bandwagon. Eve a good portion of Guild Wars 2's current fans are Johnny-Come-Latelys, so to speak.

Guild Wars as a series was never going to be akin to some other type of MMO PVE with a 2 slapped at the end. Anet were pretty open and demonstrative of the type of games they have been making for little over 5 years now.

Ignorance of the Guild Wars franchise in total lies with players.

Well, all I can say is that Anet will have to refund a dozens of people tonight for their box price and all the gems they bought.
    Players are free to request a refund, but I don't see how or why Anet are obliged to give refunds. Anet/Ncsoft can just say, "no" if they like. Just as any other dev/pub out there.

Yea, they are PvE "Heroes" :P

ANd it's actually more complicated than a "lemmings" phenomenon, he informed people that there was a refund option, then went on on how he found the PvE terrible in it, and then people went ahead and said they were going to get a refund. Let's say he convinced them to get a refund aka bad publicity!

Well if they have had the game since release and are trying to get a refund now, well good luck. Who knows, maybe they will (I seriously doubt they would give any refund over gem purchases though).

But yeah, since he is a pve raider then it wouldn't be the game for him and raiders like him.

Yea, they are PvE "Heroes" :P

ANd it's actually more complicated than a "lemmings" phenomenon, he informed people that there was a refund option, then went on on how he found the PvE terrible in it, and then people went ahead and said they were going to get a refund. Let's say he convinced them to get a refund aka bad publicity!
    That's fine. But Anet still isn't obligated to give refunds. They could just as well not do that, ya'know.

It's also perfectly fine for someone to give opinion, positive or negative w/r/t the game.

"Hey guys, check out Path of Exile! It's got this feature and that feature!"
    'Hey guys, Path of Exile is terrible! This feature and that feature sux!"

All's fair. To allow one is to allow the other.

I think most game companies will give refunds nowadays but I think there is a time limit to that (30 days after purchase or something like that). I've gotten refunds from Steam and Blizzard before. But those were within a week of purchase.

What I don't understand is why can't they try to satisfy those kind of people. Does Anet hate money or popularity?

If the PvP side of GW2 fails to gain any mass-attention, I wonder what is going to sustain the game, PvE obviously won't. They need to have a pretty important amount of players in the game for WvW and to make sure they have enough micro-transactions to pay the bills. And I don't know how they will attract people and make them buy that box without a PvE that can actually attract a lot of people.

I don't know, I really wonder what they are planning for the game, it's kinda clear to me that they will have to announce some pretty big features to give the game some buzz.

We had a thread a few weeks ago where a guy got a full refund. Well pass the 30 day mark. Thus why I say; Anet could just as well tell you to take a hike at this point.

Have you not played GW1?

Edit: CB, I know fencers has of course

What I don't understand is why can't they try to satisfy those kind of people. Does Anet hate money or popularity?
    Well, they can't. A lot of the things that would satisfy PVE players of traditional MMOs are gamebreaking in GW2.

It's just never going to happen as that type of player wants. Those players bought the wrong game.

In the same way say, those who bought the recent Xcom looking for a 3rd person shooter simply bought the game.

I don't know, I really wonder what they are planning for the game, it's kinda clear to me that they will have to announce some pretty big features to give the game some buzz.
    Anet are probably gonna follow the same content roll out as Guild Wars 1. So far all signs and evidence bears this out.

That's the thing though.

I thought GW2 was their attempt to finally reach "mainstream" numbers. Doing the exact same thing as GW1 is merely just having a game and making enough to have it stay afloat.

They did awesome number-wise when the game was released, but I don't know if it will be enough if there is no buzz or mass of players buying gems.

By big features I'm mostly talking about things like PS3/XBOX versions or the supposed new PvE mode, or better a revamp of the PvE system :P.

That's the thing though.

I thought GW2 was their attempt to finally reach "mainstream" numbers. Doing the exact same thing as GW1 is merely just having a game and making enough to have it stay afloat.

They did awesome number-wise when the game was released, but I don't know if it will be enough if there is no buzz or mass of players buying gems.

By big features I'm mostly talking about things like PS3/XBOX versions or the supposed new PvE mode, or better a revamp of the PvE system :P.
    Anet did do a lot to garner a more mainstream audience; organic questing, no gear grind, no necessary scheduled play, casual focus, accessible action combat, simplified stats.

What Anet obviously didn't do was try to appeal to a broader audience by making a slicker WoW/EQ ala Rift or nearly copy/pasta of WoW mechanics in Jedi Effect. Both SWTOR and Rift are fine games in my opinion. Guild Wars 2 didn't go that route. Clearly.

Guild Wars was still gonna be endemic of the design philosophy and style of Arena.net. The same way Treasure game feels like a Treasure game. Or the particular action on QCF in a Capcom game works.

Don't know what else to say in this; some players weren't informed about the type of series Guild Wars & Anet are aiming for. Other folks jumped on that wagon.

The new PVE game mode seems to be an endless dungeon gauntlet from the live stream a few days ago.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-11-03 at 02:05 AM. Reason: typo

seems kind of like challenge missions from gw1

I'd be down with that, I enjoyed those.

10+ Year Old Account

If the PvP side of GW2 fails to gain any mass-attention, I wonder what is going to sustain the game, PvE obviously won't. They need to have a pretty important amount of players in the game for WvW and to make sure they have enough micro-transactions to pay the bills. And I don't know how they will attract people and make them buy that box without a PvE that can actually attract a lot of people.

What on earth are you talking about? The game is massively popular and the servers are packed.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the thing though.

You do realize at this point your posts boils down to this, "stop liking what i don't like" this is also addressing your posts before this one as well.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the thing though.

I think the game has enough quality to continue to be very popular, even if I dont like it, I realise that for every one of me there will be a lot more who do like what anet have done. I think this game has a big enough buzz about it and that will continue if they keep releasing content, even if that content is more filler quests and jumping puzzles than new dungeons/systems/bgs. Im sure we will see a development of the pve system at some point, for most people pve is still new and enjoyable, much like all mmo developers, anet will continue to add new systems in to the game to keep it fresh. No longer can developers sit on 6 months of no content updates....well unless you're playing my favourite game of choice ofc

Well, the 'kind of people' you are talking about are but a small minority, albeit a vocal one. They don't matter much as far as the player number go, and to satisfy them requires a considerable time from developers. Spend over 50% of your resources to satisfy content needs of 5% of players? Doesn't sound as a good investment. For a casual player - who constitutes the vast majority of the population, GW2 is the most accessible experience ever provided by an MMO.

Hence I am a bit baffled about your the second statement. You are talking as if the game is dead and yet it is full of people.

As to the 'what they are planning': if they indeed have a new content/host events every month, it will generate lots of buzz and people will flock to it. The Halloween event was simply amazing with its new areas, events, pvp mini-games and a huge success. If they can pull something like that every month, the future of the game is pretty much secured, because its the only MMO which will deliver constantly changing fresh entertainment. Which, for a casual, is a much more attractive and fun thing than progression PVE.

TBH some fights I just don't find interesting, and some mobs hit too hard for you to do anything. I prefer the open world dynamic event PvE. It's similar to guild wars 1 style.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    TBH some fights I just don't find interesting, and some mobs hit too hard for you to do anything. I prefer the open world dynamic event PvE. It's similar to guild wars 1 style.
    I prefer them too the instances I don't really care much for, the events and the open world is what I love about the game, story mode arah was probably one of my worst experience in gaming no exaggeration. I cant say I get people who are looking for "challenges" in mmos they're social games for the most part, and challenge is personal If that's what I'm looking for I'll find it elsewhere simple as that.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

Deleted
    GW2 is plenty popular, numbers speak for themselves: