Monk Tank confusion

I am thinking about tanking as monk (my monk is only lv 84 right now).
    I read the sticky and icy-veins. However, I still have a few confusion.

I tried following the guide, trying to keep up my buffs (tiger palm, guard, blackout kick, etc) in 5-man once, when I was in Dire maul, but my dps was rather low and I loss aggro a lot - especially when the dps are doing really good dps. However, I still feel squishy whenever guard is down.

On the other hand, when I use my chi on Breath of Fire instead, I can hold aggro, but I feel extremely squishy and I see my healer's mana drop like a rock.

If I try to keep my buffs up, there doesn't seem to be a chance to use BoF, and holding aggro on trash with just Key Smash and Dizzyling Haze doesn't seem enough...

So my question is, how do one tank well? Any tips?
    My previous tanking experience is mainly of warrior tanks from BC to Cata, if that helps.

Thanks in advance! =)
    Affliction warlock who greatly misses his five empowered damage over time spells and his lovely imp.
    An imp who supplies his master infinitive amount of mana and always stays in another dimension.

Deleted
    Keg Smash is the answer to your problems... use it more often.

Second, it may seem obvious, but you're in ox stance, correct? You're not gonna do much if you're trying to tank in tiger stance.

EDIT: kay scratch the first bit, just noticed you mentioned your level. And by 84 I hope you know to be in ox stance.

I've never really had problems holding aggro on my Brewmaster, and my 90 monk almost never uses BoF. It may just be because the DPS isn't attacking your initial target. Also try pulling with spamming of chucking your keg at the enemies, it can build up a lot of aggro. What's your talent setup?
    Last edited by Oerba Yun Fang; 2012-11-02 at 03:57 PM.

Pre 90 things can be a bit wonky. I find keg smash enough to hold agro, I will throw in breath of fire if able just for added dps. If the dps is aoeing you should have no problem. Problems come up if someone tries to go all out on a single mob, solution for that is they aoe or assist you.

Yesterday had a Mage in a dungeon pullin 70-80k on groups and I had no problem holding agro.

Spinning Crane Kick.

On the pull, drop a keg smash -> BoK then usually 1 round of SCK is enough to get the group onto you. Once they're on keg smash will do most of the work keeping them there. If you're worried replace a jab with a SCK when there's more than 3 targets, but never at the expense of your shuffle buff. Make it easier again, don't roll into the group, throw a keg ahead of you. You can easily get 2 kegs out over a spread out group and that'll send the pack running for you. Keg smash -> BOK -> SCK will keep em there.

You still dodge/parry when spinning, but you're still a goobag without shuffle.

In other news at 90 with RJW, if they removed BoF tomorrow i'd probably not notice.

Thanks for the feedback =) Appreciate it.

Yes I was in Ox stance. I was mainly using Keg Smash for Chi, Jab when on cd, Expel Harm when need heal.
    I use chi on Blackout kick, tiger palm and guard.

Should I just spam my keg for AoE aggro? As Keg Smash only hits 3 targets, right?

Thank you =)
    Affliction warlock who greatly misses his five empowered damage over time spells and his lovely imp.
    An imp who supplies his master infinitive amount of mana and always stays in another dimension.

Tiger Palm shouldn't be costing you chi as a Brewmaster. You can spam it to your heart's content; it has no resource cost (neither chi nor energy) for Brewmasters.

And no, Keg Smash hits all targets in range now. They changed that some time ago. Also, spamming Dizzying Haze for AoE aggro is a bad idea if you have stuff attacking you, as you gain no Chi from it, meaning no Shuffle, meaning you'll get roflstomped or become a mana sponge.
    Last edited by Oerba Yun Fang; 2012-11-02 at 04:13 PM.

My aoe rotation is Keg smash on cooldown, blackout kick to spend chi/keep shuffle up, spinning crane kick for filler chi generator and finally tiger palm when not enough chi for blackout kick or energy for spinning crane kick. I've found in aoe you will lose a lot more than you gain 95% of the time if you try to stack tiger palm early (because spinning crane kick is a much slower energy spender, you just don't have the time if you want to keep shuffle/guard up).

If more than 3 targets you shouldn't be using jab other than if you have power strikes to get the extra chi every ~20 seconds.

If you are confidant in your survivability you can Breath of Fire for extra dps.

No one should be able to pull agro off of you and very few will be able to out dps you consistently in aoe.
    Last edited by Archimedic; 2012-11-02 at 04:18 PM.

Ah ok.
    Thanks for the AoE advice and the notice on Keg Smash update. Did not know that hehe

So basically keep suffle up at all cost, Spin once just to keep aggro and keg smash to hold close range multi mobs.
    Cool Thanks =)

Are there any other special stuff that a new monk tank should know about? o:

Something I notice a lot of brewmasters don't know: you have an AoE taunt. Put down your ox statue, target it, and hit Provoke. That will taunt all enemies within 8(?) yards of the statue to you.

People probably had pet taunts on, were dpsing in defensive stance / blood presence / left righteous fury on... I've had all of those happen :|
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimedic View Post
    My aoe rotation is Keg smash on cooldown, blackout kick to spend chi/keep shuffle up, spinning crane kick for filler chi generator and finally tiger palm when not enough chi for blackout kick or energy for spinning crane kick. I've found in aoe you will lose a lot more than you gain 95% of the time if you try to stack tiger palm early (because spinning crane kick is a much slower energy spender, you just don't have the time if you want to keep shuffle/guard up).
    Have to agree with this, I can crest well above 100k DPS if I relegate TP to only when I'm out of Energy & Chi. Also highly suggest Leg Sweep as you can do the stun and then BoF without worrying if Shuffle drops.

Did LFD with me and 3 monk buddies (MW and 2x WW) and it was hysterical seeing this massive wave of swirling green panda's smashing into every trash pack. Also, you can roll when holding those stupid shields in Scarlet Monastery, our pug warlock was in awe of us by the end of the run.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Are you using purifying brew when your stagger is high? I know a lot of new brewmasters overlook that ability and it is core to keeping yourself alive.

One solution to your aggro problems is once everyone is stacked up throw out Leg Sweep for an aoe stun and you can get a BoF off for extra aggro with no damage taken. If you want you could glyph BoF for the disorient and then it will have a little bit of mitigation since the mobs will at least not get one attack off before it is broken.