Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Monk Healing Question.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I've searched for quite awhile for an answer but I have found no definite answer

As a healer throughout Burning Crusade up until DS in Cata (druid BC-WOTLK and then shaman DS) I'm curious about monk healing, however I'm concerned about "fist-weaving" and whether its needed to be a competitive healer within 10man raids. I've been a healer for so long due to not being interested in DPS and the challenge it poses so I'm not interested in DPS'ing in order to heal effectively.

In short, can a monk healer be competitive without "fist-weaving" in a 10man?

Thanks and sorry if this has been posted once again.

ive been healing as a monk since the first week of mop and raid 3 times a week and i never really had to use fist-weaving, except for elegon since he gives a dmg boost.

so yea you dont have to use fist weaving at all if you dont want to, and personally i hate it too i dont even know why we even have it, i think its useless.

oh, forgot to add im 2/6H and mostly 2nd or top in the healing charts without using any "fist-weaving"
    Last edited by haiimjoe; 2012-10-28 at 02:29 AM.

Ah thanks mate, I havnt actually played MoP yet but have read a lot about the monk healing style and chi etc. Is the Chi (25% I think?) generation from Soothing Mists enough to gain Chi effectively and is there any other way to gain Chi? From what I have read this is one of my concerns in relation to not using fist-weaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Flap View Post
    Ah thanks mate, I havnt actually played MoP yet but have read a lot about the monk healing style and chi etc. Is the Chi (25% I think?) generation from Soothing Mists enough to gain Chi effectively and is there any other way to gain Chi? From what I have read this is one of my concerns in relation to not using fist-weaving.
    Soothing Mists, Surging Mists, and Expel Harm all grant chi. There's also a talent you can take that will instantly fill your Chi with a 1.5m(?) cooldown. You can get plenty of chi without fistweaving.

Thanks, cleared all my worries up haha, will have to roll a monk once I start up again.

Er whoops I said Soothing Mists but meant Renewing Mist. XD

Soothing Mist, Renewing Mist, Surging Mist, and Expel Harm.

After having healed on the beta and on live I do believe Monks have to do at least some fistweaving every fight. While people stated we have other chi generators, they are unrealistic to use in clutch situations. I have 4/6 normal exp so scrap my opinion if you would like but I have yet to be second in heals and have had several top 50 parses in the time I have been progressing.

Soothing mist is a chance to grant chi. Currently at 25%, this means at 3k mana per tick, on average you spend 12k mana per chi. This is less effective both on time and mana in comparison to an instant cast 9k mana jab. The new patch is making it a 35% chance I believe but this just barely surpasses jab while still needing 3 ticks on average per chi meaning this isn't a rapid chi generator without luck. Healers shouldn't depend on luck.

REM and Expel harm are used on CD of course but again, I have healed several AoE fights and these two giving you one uplift between eachother is great but then what? These are not alternatives to an instant cast, guaranteed chi.

Surging mist isn't even an option to consider for Chi generation unless it is in a make or break moment for a kill and you have a reserve of mana. Even with the 2 set I cant predict this ability being useful in the light of "Generator".

Now this being said, on Elegon, using fistweaving is a very small part of the toolkit. I can go the first 50% without needing it at all. The next 50 needs it if you really want to do strong AoE healing. I guess RJW+ SCK spam will be good healing but it wont compare to a 10 person uplift being spammed. You could technically spam SCK for all of your chi in these phases but then you would lose out on the buffed melee swings woth eminence, the strong eminence jab heals and then the real 10 person blanket. Now I am normally a 25 man healer keep in mind so what I say may not apply but the summary of this post is that yes, in small degrees the better mistweaver will find ways to use melee abilities to increase their healing. Also I would like to note, if you dont want to keep up Serpent's Zeal at first or TP, don't. You aren't aiming to eminence heal, you want the easy chi it gives. In a heavy aoe phase all you need to do is REM on CD with Expel harm, Jab-Jab-Uplift and you will sky-rocket in healing done.

Hope this helped.
    Last edited by Mistyworra; 2012-10-28 at 04:01 AM.

Blizzard stated they want to give you a choice of either melee-damage healing or ranged healing, kind of similar with all the other healing-classes how you can heal indirectly with damaging spells. Neither are mandatory but in the end, mastering both hybridly will give you the best output. I tend to melee-heal the melee dps/tanks and when ranged needs healing, use your ranged healing spells.

You should not avoid melee-healing completely as it gives you an instant 100% chance to gain a chi other than renewing mist
    Last edited by Nanaboostme; 2012-10-28 at 03:56 AM.

Right now melee healing is superior. However, soothing mist is getting some big buffs in 5.1

If you don't Jab like crazy you nerf yourself. On every boss.
    You can heal without jabbing if you want but you will heal much less.
    Is it good to heal less than your potential?
    Invasmanì - 13/13 25 Men

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flap View Post
    I would say there is definitely room for both, fistweaving and ranged healing, and pretty sure that is Blizzard intention, to give players the option. Right now, looking and experimenting with different abilities, I would say that chi generation is really well balanced between melee and ranged healing; aside from the chi brew, generating chi from range is definitively slower than it is in melee, but that's fine because you don't need as much chi when you're sticking to healing from range. Chi spending is more rapid in melee. Melee, of course, gains the advantage from this because by spending more chi, and more quicker, you gain mana tea stacks quicker, but that's the only thing that seems to jump out for me.

Soothing mist, coupled with renewing mist, seem perfectly adequate for generating the chi you need for ranged healing. Chi brew is a big help if you find yourself needing to quickly generate some chi. The principle weakness that ranged healing has is that it is not very good for AoE healing. You will of course have Uplift but SCK seems absolutely invaluable to me when healing a lot of targets at once.

For me, it seems good to not stick to one or the other. Be flexible and prepared to use both, which ever is more appropriate for the situation.

What's the meaning of "range healing"?
    Invasmanì - 13/13 25 Men

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jairash View Post
    What's the meaning of "range healing"?
    Healing from beyond melee range?

Deleted
    You dont have to Fistweave. I havent Fistweaved much and still manage to rank and top our healings. I have talked with many monk healers that play in good guilds and friend of mine is in top 40 guild and he has never fistweaved and still managed to down 6/6HC and top heals.

Quote Originally Posted by Phixio View Post
    You dont have to Fistweave. I havent Fistweaved much and still manage to rank and top our healings. I have talked with many monk healers that play in good guilds and friend of mine is in top 40 guild and he has never fistweaved and still managed to down 6/6HC and top heals.
    I agree, I went in to try and jab my way to success and I absolutely hated it. I do much better healing through traditional means.
    My only complaints are being addressed in this upcoming patch and I'm definitely excited for them (soothing mists, not healing enough and the RNG on generating Chi was weird, and healing orbs being more useful now if they expire before somebody grabs them!!!)

If you pvp at all, you are essentially forced to heal traditionally. Pve I find fist weaving useless honestly unless it's a fight with a large +damage boost or you massively out gear it (heroics). I've played almost every spec in wow at level cap, and mist weaver is my favorite, most versatile healing spec so far in both pvp and pve.

---------- Post added 2012-10-28 at 11:54 AM ----------

Soothing mists chi generation on ptr is buffed to 35%. Soothing mists is also being added to power strikes(?) in addition to the current jab.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvaAger View Post
    If you pvp at all, you are essentially forced to heal traditionally. Pve I find fist weaving useless honestly unless it's a fight with a large +damage boost or you massively out gear it (heroics). I've played almost every spec in wow at level cap, and mist weaver is my favorite, most versatile healing spec so far in both pvp and pve.

---------- Post added 2012-10-28 at 11:54 AM ----------

Soothing mists chi generation on ptr is buffed to 35%. Soothing mists is also being added to power strikes(?) in addition to the current jab.
    Wow really? I guess I missd that in the patch notes, I saw the ascension changes and I'm super excited for that one (despite how well we do on mana already compared to everybody else). Means I can push more out without worrying as much about mana, can not wait

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    You're a terrible healer if you dont "fist weave". You certainly don't generate enough chi through any other means.

How you are 2nd, or top healing meters is beyond me by just sitting there casting Soothing Mist, using expel harm/renewing mist on cd. Unless you are just lucky on RNG with soothing mist.

I wouldn't say you're terrible, I'd just say you're neglecting a part of your toolkit which can be very useful. Jab puts out eminence healing (as well as your statue obviously mimicking it) with the guaranteed chi generation. Its very powerful if you use it properly. Its a bit less efficient but if you have a good amount of spirit (I'm sitting at about 9500 unbuffed) its very manageable.

Its not required to fistweave, but I certainly think it'll make you a better healer to utilize it and mix in some fistweaving along with your other abilities to put out the maximum amount of healing while not ooming yourself.

Our other monk doesn't fistweave at all. I can't heal that way but it works for her and WoW made it so you can do ranged or melee.
    Last edited by Junnia; 2012-10-28 at 06:53 PM.