[Holy] Elegon (Breath) and Will (Gas) knowing when to heal? And Addons.

I'm curious as to what everyone uses to inform you when major damage is about to hit? I know DBM is one but it just feels like there's something better more informative out there. Any ideas, or is DBM really the only thing? I'm trying to prove that I'm good for this raid group that I've joined and to prove it I need to keep up on my tank healing. So any help will do.
    Last edited by ExLancer; 2012-10-30 at 10:56 PM.

Well, what problems are you having specifically? are you having trouble bringing your tank back up from scripted damage (in which case yes, DBM is a good choice) or just stabilizing your tank after they've taken a spike of unavoidable damage?

In my own experience, the current content doesn't yet pull out big spikes on tanks, so I'm guessing you're referring to the latter.

Tanks can see big spike damage on Will of the Emperor if they're not managing damage reduction cooldowns well or failing to dance. If that's happening there's not a lot you can do except try and get better communication for when the tank needs an external.

I use dbm timers to anticipate a lot of raid mechanics. I'm not sure what else is even out there besides boss mods that would help you with that. I guess you could get something that shows boss swing timers to precast into a big hit but I don't think that the current state of the game needs anything like that. Most of the spike damage is meant to be mitigated in some way.

I have always used DBM and never found it problematic. It has good customization that never failed me.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    DBM solves most problems. If you are having problems with some extreme ability somewhere, it might help by adding some own Weak-/powerauras to track specific tank debuffs/cooldowns or so.

The only problem I've had really was healing two tanks when the gas comes out on Will. I never did the 2 hand sac thing, which I will from now on. Also the breath from Elegon sometimes gets the tank low. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to counter this so I can pass my trial.

Best way to deal with spikes really is to read up on the fight and combine that with DBM so that you know when things are coming so that you can time cooldowns etc. accordingly, things like say the gas you can try to stack up 5 HP before it goes off then pop any of the 3 healing cooldowns then you should be able to just heal one tank while the other gets beaconed, provided the other healers throw something on the beacon at the very beginning, other than that there's not a huge amount you can do other than complain that the tanks suck, which I've always found is the best option

Quote Originally Posted by ExLancer View Post
    The only problem I've had really was healing two tanks when the gas comes out on Will. I never did the 2 hand sac thing, which I will from now on. Also the breath from Elegon sometimes gets the tank low. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to counter this so I can pass my trial.
    We had that problem working on elegon last week. What I noticed was that usually an add would died and explode and because the tank on elegon would have a good number of debuff stacks, that would take him pretty low. A breath on the back end of that would finish him off if the timing was close enough. It helped a lot when I started weaving CS hits on the add as it was killed to make sure I had a full HP stack, then I could unload a quick EF/HS/EF on the tank which would basically take him straight to full health. Also worth noting that trick works on basically any fight if you know a big hit on either the tank or the raid is coming. Just stock up to 5 HP, wait for the hit, then knock out 2 quick full-HP heals with a HS weaved in between.

Just a quick note, if you're trying to top the tank off using EF you should hit the tank with one of those for the instant heal and use the other on a second target (usually the other tank) to get the beacon heal from the initial hit plus all the hot ticks that you lose if you double tap the tank.

I'm not having problems healing the tanks. Were 1/6 H MSV and 1/6 HoF right now. I just need to get used to pre-healing the tanks when big damage is about to hit. I really want to pass this trial so I'll be working on that. I do need to watch fights a lot more, wish there was a good Holy Paladin blogger out there, sadly I don't know of any.

If you aren't having trouble healing the tanks then why do you think you need to do something differently?