Page 1 of 2
LastLast

CLCRET/FCFS Discussion and Debate

I just wanted to start a thread to get opinions on what the Paladin community thinks of these addons. I know there are some mixed feelings about it but wht is your opinion? Do you think the addon should be used by raiders so they are able to focus more on whats happening during the encounter rather than when to refresh Inq and what to use next or do you think learning the priority without the addons helps improve skill and knowledge of the class?
    Last edited by gatorade; 2012-10-28 at 02:28 AM.

Deleted
    I am a holy paladin as main spec and i go ret on some bosses as we have no one else with a dps offspec and i use CLC ret, I think i would still use it if I were to go main spec as ret just because it's a safety net I coulkd fall into if I failed on an epic scale! also used clc on my Dk when i used it in firelands as main

@lame addon imo

I played main spec feral kitty for a long time and feralbynight(similar addon) actually lowered my dps in every possible scenario/setting. Unless you're a terrible player add-ons like clc won't help you do more deeps. I guess if you're A) lazy or B) terrible...then it's good for you :P

FCFS was the name for the priority queue used by ret during wolk. it stood for first come first served which essentially meant hit whatever came off cd first.

the addons you are thinking about are clcret and clcinfo.

i use clcret, it is easier to set up and takes up less memory at the cost of having less overall functionality. i barely look at it these days, but every time they redesign ret it is a valuable learning tool.
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    i use clcret as a ret main... i dont "NEED" it, but it sure at hell makes tracking things like inq and when to do certain things easier

edit: i also put my own custom rotation into clcret, cause at the time, it was still using cata's "rotation" which is severely different then mop's "rotation"
    Last edited by Noujou; 2012-10-28 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooji View Post
    @lame addon imo

I played main spec feral kitty for a long time and feralbynight(similar addon) actually lowered my dps in every possible scenario/setting. Unless you're a terrible player add-ons like clc won't help you do more deeps. I guess if you're A) lazy or B) terrible...then it's good for you :P
    If you configure your priorities properly, it will result in optimal DPS. So either the settings were wrong, or it lowered your DPS because you were slower to respond to the addon's suggestions than if you just did it yourself.

It's really useful for keeping track of multiple cooldowns/procs at the same time. You can even set it up to prioritize different abilities in different situations - for example, you can have it prioritize TV at 3 or 4 Holy Power above CS / Exo / Judg if you only have a couple seconds left on a particular trinket proc or damage buff as that will often result in a DPS increase.

@lame addon imo

By that logic all addons are for lazy, terrible people.

It's still pretty good to use, not as good as it was in WotLK. I'm not Ret main anymore and I wish the default CLCret had the Prot capabilities CLCInfo has.

Quote Originally Posted by laughtrey View Post
    By that logic all addons are for lazy, terrible people.

It's still pretty good to use, not as good as it was in WotLK. I'm not Ret main anymore and I wish the default CLCret had the Prot capabilities CLCInfo has.
    I didn't say all addons are for lazy, terrible people. But addons that play your class for you are for lazy, terrible players. It isn't like FCFS is rocket science...oh wait, hitting CS before judge r hard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorade View Post
    I just wanted to start a thread to get opinions on what the Paladin community thinks of these addons. I know there are some mixed feelings about it but wht is your opinion? Do you think the addon should be used by raiders so they are able to focus more on whats happening during the encounter rather than when to refresh Inq and what to use next or do you think learning the priority without the addons helps improve skill and knowledge of the class?
    The addons are perfectly fine, people claiming they lower their dps probably had crap dps to begin with. It's meant as a guideline to follow or to use it for tracking buffs. It doesn't matter who does or who doesn't like the addon simple fact of the matter is if it works for you and it doesn't work for someone else oh well. Until they start paying your monthly fee their opinion isn't relevant.

This thread will get a lot of back and forth banter from people who have never used it or don't know what they are talking about. There are some great Rets that have used it while pulling #1 WoL spots and there are some great Rets that used it that think it was the addons fault they aren't #1 there are some terrible Rets that have used it that don't understand it. That is the simple thing about an addon, The usefulness is in the eye of the beholder if you like it you like it and if you don't you don't.
    Last edited by Requital; 2012-10-28 at 06:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

Quote Originally Posted by Requital View Post
    The addons are perfectly fine people claiming they lower their dps probably had crap dps to begin with. It's meant as a guideline
    It's a good addon for a beginner or someone who's very casual who doesn't want to get into the specifics of rotations, etc, but it won't raise your dps if you already know what you're doing.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's a good addon for a beginner or someone who's very casual who doesn't want to get into the specifics of rotations, etc, but it won't raise your dps if you already know what you're doing.
    That is your opinion and your opinion only and we can leave it right there.
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

Deleted
    Can't you fully customize it to the right rotation? I don't see how it would lower your DPS if you set it up right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's try to keep this civil, please.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelythria View Post
    Can't you fully customize it to the right rotation? I don't see how it would lower your DPS if you set it up right.
    Yes you can but you still have to understand DPS in general, For instance if you are double trinket proc'd and using CD's and you have 3HP and the addon tells you to CS to gain more HP when by logic the double trinket procs + cd's would be more DPS to TV. You have to be able to tell the difference of when to follow your own opinion and if you can not then it's not the addons fault.

It's a guideline not a do this and you will have perfect DPS that is the problem people who don't use it assume anyone that uses it is stupid and can't use their own judgement or people that use it do exactly that they don't use their own judgement.

The addon is fine how you use it is a fine line between proper and not.

10+ Year Old Account
    HAH! So some guy in this thread is suggesting that an add-on that helps you track timers makes you a lazy player eh? I wonder if he uses DBM...

But on topic:

So I just started playing my Ret again after having had it shelved for almost 2 years. I've been using the CLCRet add-on and for me, its improved my DPS mainly by improving my uptime of Inquisition. Someone said that the add-on is still using the Cata rotation and not the MoP one. Well, I didn't play my Pally at all in Cata so I don't really know what that means. What do I need to change about the rotation in the add-on to have it up to date with MoP?

Oh and not sure if it's relevant to my question but I use Divine Purpose and am currently only level 85
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

I've been ret since the start of BC (Pre-Ret faceown Patch :O!) and my fingers have just learned when to hit what ability. I think these addons are good for beginners but they can't hone your skill to the point of mastery. They don't take into account some of the other cool downs and when to use them so they definitely don't teach you everything you need to know. That requires practice

TL;DR
    Beginner: For them
    Master: Against them

the only addon I rely on is Power Auras to track my Inq timer and some other procs (trinkets mostly)

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    TL;DR
    Beginner: For them
    Master: Against them
    i dont know if i agree with that statement, because a master would also be using his own judgement along with clcret and if he didnt agree with wth clcret was saying he should do, he would follow his own judgement and not blindly follow clcret

i use clcret, it was amazing for learning ret when i switched in cata. right now i mostly use it so i don't forget to rebuff inquisition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Yes, it will.. Because it perfectly tracks everything for you.
    So a person that knows what he is doing can notice things easier AND he is less inclined to making mistakes.

The only reason not to take this addon would be some kind of ego.
    And if your ego prevents you from playing optimal than I wouldn't want you in my guild anyway.
    Some of use like to play the game as intended. This is a game afterall. Id much rather do 95k dps with a satisfying play than one-button spam 100k.

Deleted
    Terrible add-ons, promotes bad gameplay imo. Alrightish for players new to ret but not something you'd use longterm, least for me anyway.