10+ Year Old Account

Warlock question

Hello dear RPers. I come to you with a couple questions, as im not a seasoned RPer myself (only have one human hunter on Argent Dawn, i created quite a backstory for it but it kinda went stale for me after a while..)

Im trying to make a return to the RP world, with a new character, going for warlock, as that is my main raiding/pvp character, and my overall first and favourite ever since i started playing a couple years ago.

The thing is, ive been reading a lot about how to roleplay a warlock, and it seems the vast majority of RPers take the route of a power-hungry, havoc lover, anarquist, and that's not the approach i'd like to take...

Is it believable, according to WoW's lore, to roleplay a warlock with the following guidelines?:
    -human
    -completely loyal to the Alliance
    -friendly towards his allies, whatever the race
    -behaves as a mage, since warlocks are not regarded as the noblest of classes, and only unleashes his demon pets and assumes demon form when danger presents itself
    -his alignment is chaotically good
    -was a real mage in his youth, at some point in his life something happened that gave him the demonic knowledge and he became a warlock
    -has two jobs: helps with enchantments and disenchantings at SW's mage tower, and work primarily at SW's royal library studying ancient rites and traditions.

EDIT: Added quirks/flaws:
    -fire and burning stuff excite him
    -doesn't think important things through, acts on impulse
    -gets seasick even on the most stable of boats
    -acts like a mage, but the majority of people he interacts daily know he is a warlock - he is afraid of people judging him behind his back because of his true class

Would this be RP-able? The class turning point, i had imagined it being something like, during his studies with the kirin tor, he found some old tomes, yadda yadda, learnt the dark arts of summoning demons, and then may or may not completed the mage's course just not to raise awareness to his newfound powers, or anything alongs thoses lines. Would that, or any other point i mentioned on the list above, be nearing a Mary Sue kind of character?
    Last edited by Azgraal; 2012-10-28 at 02:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A couple of quirks/flaws? ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be very RP'able. Sounds like an interesting character. Essentially a warlock is a mage so you won't have problems.

I would however like to make a point about Fel Corruption. Like the arcane it will take it's toll on your body and, well, corrupt it only much faster and in a much more demonic way. (Think fel green eyes of the Blood Elves) So depending on how long and how often you consort with demons and channel Fel magics, soon it would be unavoidable to not be seen as a warlock. So this would cause a problem with him being in the Kirin Tor, because frankly while he is learning and discovers Fel he will be found out. Simply because his teachers would be Archmagi and much more skilled and knowledgeable than him. But after being found out don't forget about the Slaughtered Lamb!

Also in my opinion not mary sue-ish at all.

Sure, i suppose, but my warlock would ROAST YOU ALIVE and make demons explode from your insides for being a mage wannabe... not necessarily in that order.

What's nice about World of Warcraft as opposed to D&D is that classes do NOT have inherent moral bindings to them, that is to say, paladins can be chaotic, warlocks can be good, and rogues can be lawful, so playing your warlock in a way that is not the traditional "bwahahahaha I'ma eat your BEBEHS!" style of character is quite alright.

All that considered, your concept is absolutely fine. Just keep what Nonfic said about fel corruption in mind, and I think you've got an amazing character on your hands, provided you can back up your idea with the writing necessary to make it flourish!

Also, that's not mary sueish... Like, at all. He can become one, but it won't be because of your concept. It'll be about how you roleplay him. I doubt you'll have much problems with it though, you seem like a good writer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for your advices, i really think this will be the one character to definitively make me roleplay.

Regarding the points you guys brought up:
    -The Kirin Tor part was just an idea, as i had planned that his parent might have been magi too, so to follow their footsteps he went to study there, but it is true that once fel corruption started to manifest itself all those archmagi should doubtlessly find it out.
    -As you said, fel corruption's changes to orcs and blood elves appearance is well known. On humans though, would, for example, a darker skin tone represent the presence of fel and demon powers?
    -Regarding his wish to be seen as a mage, as his parents were magi, he was afraid of being discriminated against for becoming a warlock, and so, even though almost everyone knows he is in truth a warlock, he acts as a mage, almost as ashamed of his powers, although he doesn't regret having them.

So now, i just need to write a coherent story for him, decide on how he came across the warlock arts (either if he was expelled from the Kirin Tor college once he was found out), how deep is his connection to the fel energy and all that.
    As a side note, roleplaying an orphaned character has become a huge cliché right?

Thanks for your help guys, rping will be just the distraction i need when im bored from raiding and pvping on my main.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Migas11 View Post
    Thank you for your advices, i really think this will be the one character to definitively make me roleplay.

Regarding the points you guys brought up:
    -As you said, fel corruption's changes to orcs and blood elves appearance is well known. On humans though, would, for example, a darker skin tone represent the presence of fel and demon powers?
    "Magic corrupts the body; it ages the caster before their time and hastens the blight that the world inflicts on things fair and beautiful." -- For normal magi this means basically exactly what it says, you age faster. For Fel this would be even more dramatic. So yes darker skin but not just tanner but more a obvious "your skin shouldn't be this color". I like to think in a human it would manifest something like in Fable: Here. Cracking of the skin, eye color changing, a faint aura of fel perhaps that lingers around you. I know this isn't as easy to do in-game but I would say you could get something close to it by choosing one of the older looking faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Migas11 View Post
    As a side note, roleplaying an orphaned character has become a huge cliché right?
    You could see it that way. Personally I don't at all. Warcraft's history is a bloody one and unless you have him really old for a human, there is a good chance that he was living through a war as a child.

I think you've got a good idea so long as you take the corruption into account. You might want to establish why exactly he turned to fel magic, and why he continues using it. You could have some very interesting motivations.

Other than some minor flaws, it's a good idea..

10+ Year Old Account
    May be a necro but nevertheless, it is possible to be an Uncorrupted Warlock (if we go by d20 mechanics) this class is found in the WoWRPG books. These Warlocks, while not trusted at all - are the ones who resist the endless whispers of the great dark beyond. In addition, the Kirin Tor is very restricting on Warlocks and Necromancers, so it may be better to change that bit as the tomes for them would be either well hidden, or properly protected - or destroyed considering Kel'thuzad studied in Dalaran, became a ruling member AND turned to Necromancy. In addition, Stormwind's warlocks are hidden in the Slaughtered Lamb, a shady tavern that I believe hasn't been discovered by authourities - so you'd be safe there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can easily see a warlock who isn't twiddling his moustache and planning his diabolical agenda. Some warlocks view it as fighting fire with fire and be a power for good.