Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Tactics to deal with a very annoying specific type of undercutter, the "no lifer"

I have seen lots of undercutters so far and I have also seens lots of different styles of undercutting.

Offhand, I could mention the "Bot", the "Undercutter on a timer" and the "Casual".

Yesterday I encountered for the first time the "no lifer" type.

This guy does nothing all day other than being in Ironforge and undercutting auctions. This is amazing, I have never seen this type before. I first noticed him when he undercutted a market I shared with one Bot and started to monitor him.

He first undercutted me at 10:30 in the morning. I kept coming back every half an hour or so for 2-3 hours undercutting him back, then logged out. When I returned to the game at 5pm or so he was still there in Ironforge alright, and "active" not "away". I did other things with my toons, raided, did dailies, dungeons etc and kept coming back whenever I could to UC him. Long story short I must have undercutted him around 20 times, always to be re UC by him within seconds. Out of curiosity I logged in yesterday at 3:30 am and sure enough he was there.

This guy is amazing, he like a soldier on duty or a pro on a farming schedule. Always sitting in IF UC and posting auctions, never participating in the game in any way. He does nothing other than play the AH.

I wonder how you deal with this guy.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

He's using multiple accounts. I always have a toon at the AH, doesn't mean I'm not playing elsewhere though.

As far as dealing with it your options are to keep undercutting frequently, deep undercut or simply move to another market temporarily to wait him out. If you're feeling more adventurous and want to commit to driving him out of the market you can start manipulating his supply of mats on whatever he's selling, buy him out, or other similar strategies, but the ease of doing that is pretty server specific and can involve a bit of risk so I'm not going to recommend it to you.
    Last edited by Windfury; 2012-10-28 at 12:28 PM.

the auction house meta game is how some people choose to play.

I believe that he has friended me and he gets active as soon as my bank alt logs to undercut him, and he undercuts me back in seconds. I think I am going to create yet another alt with a completely illegible name something like ççç.iiişşşğüğüş so that he can't frıend it and I will undercut hım when he is not watchıng.
    Last edited by Sturmbringe; 2012-10-28 at 01:18 PM.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    I believe that he has friended me and he gets active as soon as my bank alt logs to undercut him, and he undercuts me back in seconds. I think I am going to create yet another alt with a completely illegible name something like ççç.iiişşşğüğüş so that he can't frıend it and I will undercut hım when he is not watchıng.
    Addons have an option to friend someone you are undercutting with a rightclick without typing anything, so no
    Invasmanì - 13/13 25 Men

Quote Originally Posted by jairash View Post
    Addons have an option to friend someone you are undercutting with a rightclick without typing anything, so no
    Which addons? Never heard of that before. Except ofc if you refer to special illegal addons that some are using.

Which addons? Never heard of that before. Except ofc if you refer to special illegal addons that some are using.
    I use TSM, is it illegal?
    Invasmanì - 13/13 25 Men

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jairash View Post
    I use TSM, is it illegal?
    There aren't illegal addons, just addons that might violate the ToS.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's economics, if you want it more and are able to provide the customer with the right item, at the right time for the cheapest price then you'll get the greatest reward. If you want to annoy him undercut harder, persistently undercutting him by 1 copper isn't going to bother him in the slightest. Start hitting the grey area of being too expensive to buy for resell and too cheap to make a decent profit margin out of.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    That's economics, if you want it more and are able to provide the customer with the right item, at the right time for the cheapest price then you'll get the greatest reward. If you want to annoy him undercut harder, persistently undercutting him by 1 copper isn't going to bother him in the slightest. Start hitting the grey area of being too expensive to buy for resell and too cheap to make a decent profit margin out of.
    Good advice. It worked.

I like the bit where you drove the price to rock bottom just to "win" a stupid battle. Congratulations on losing a ton of money just to sell your items.

Deleted
    I like how people who whine always think their own behaviour is ok when ridiculing the playstyle of others. They often complain about competitors being the worst in the world although they still want to screw the buyer in exactly the same way. As long as what people are doing is legal i.e they arent cheating, then that's just the market economy for you. Either compete or go an find another market. There are threads on these forums detailing various tactics on how to deal with this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    When I was doing glyphs very heavily, this was the answer. If I couldn't spend more time at the computer undercutting, then my only option was to price things more reasonably and drive them out of the market. I never sold for a loss per say, but my profit margin shrank dramatically too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by septor View Post
    I like the bit where you drove the price to rock bottom just to "win" a stupid battle. Congratulations on losing a ton of money just to sell your items.
    Actually, that's way lot of REALLY rich players earn money. They control their markets.

Quote Originally Posted by 999tigger View Post
    I like how people who whine always think their own behaviour is ok when ridiculing the playstyle of others. They often complain about competitors being the worst in the world although they still want to screw the buyer in exactly the same way. As long as what people are doing is legal i.e they arent cheating, then that's just the market economy for you. Either compete or go an find another market. There are threads on these forums detailing various tactics on how to deal with this situation.
    I like how you mention 'screwing the buyer' along with 'market economy'.

Quote Originally Posted by mlodgor View Post
    Actually, that's way lot of REALLY rich players earn money. They control their markets.
    I set the maximum price in the two markets I work. There are quite a few people who post much higher, even double what I post at. However I still make a ton of money and my items always sell. I love it best when my competitors buy my items to resell at higher prices. I have my threshold set high enough so I cannot lose money; knowing your mat costs is key and farming your own mats does not make them free.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Hi guys, on my server there is also a guy, whos undercutting everyone as soon they've posted. Every day 24/7, days and nights. He isnt a bot, he answered all the time when i /w him, but a big time no lifer.

- I might be blind and/or stupid, but I cant see that damn option to set my max posting price for my Glyphs for example at 50g per one. Please tell me where to do that. I`m looking in the TSM options for half an our, but I cant figure out how to do that, thanks.

I want to sell my all glyphs for 50g (for example) per one. How to set up that?
    Last edited by Lihnida; 2012-10-29 at 11:00 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by banur View Post
    I like how you mention 'screwing the buyer' along with 'market economy'.
    I dont see the conflict. The aim of the seller (all things being equal) is to maximise their profits by selling what people wnat at the most profitable price they can, which buyers find acceptable. My point was the OP is QQng, but he isnt some charity, but will sumply want to replace the seller he is complaining about. If things are too expensive people wont buy and if they are profitable enough then someone else will start selling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lihnida View Post
    Hi guys, on my server there is also a guy, whos undercutting everyone as soon they've posted. Every day 24/7, days and nights. He isnt a bot, he answered all the time when i /w him, but a big time no lifer.

- I might be blind and/or stupid, but I cant see that damn option to set my max posting price for my Glyphs for example at 50g per one. Please tell me where to do that. I`m looking in the TSM options for half an our, but I cant figure out how to do that, thanks.

I want to sell my all glyphs for 50g (for example) per one. How to set up that?
    Auctioning Groups Tab in TSM > Categories/Groups (from the menu on the left hand side) > Select your Glyphs group (whatever you've named it) > Group Overrides tab > Minimum Price Settings (Threshold) header - set to 50g/Fixed gold amount > Maximum Price Settings (Fallback) header - set to 50g/Fixed gold amount > Maximum Price Settings (Fallback) header - slide the Maximum Price bar to 100%.

It will then post everything you have in that particular group at 50g always, regardless of anyone else's postings.

Deleted
    I have seen lots of undercutters so far and I have also seens lots of different styles of undercutting.

Offhand, I could mention the "Bot", the "Undercutter on a timer" and the "Casual".

Yesterday I encountered for the first time the "no lifer" type.

This guy does nothing all day other than being in Ironforge and undercutting auctions. This is amazing, I have never seen this type before. I first noticed him when he undercutted a market I shared with one Bot and started to monitor him.

He first undercutted me at 10:30 in the morning. I kept coming back every half an hour or so for 2-3 hours undercutting him back, then logged out. When I returned to the game at 5pm or so he was still there in Ironforge alright, and "active" not "away". I did other things with my toons, raided, did dailies, dungeons etc and kept coming back whenever I could to UC him. Long story short I must have undercutted him around 20 times, always to be re UC by him within seconds. Out of curiosity I logged in yesterday at 3:30 am and sure enough he was there.

This guy is amazing, he like a soldier on duty or a pro on a farming schedule. Always sitting in IF UC and posting auctions, never participating in the game in any way. He does nothing other than play the AH.

I wonder how you deal with this guy.
    I just love it when people are complaining about nolifers and in turn proving to be just the same. Thanks for providing the days entertainment through a whine post about how horrible some players are.