Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    That's how I've been playing it and I haven't been disappointed. That was also how I played SWTOR and I wasn't disappointed by that either.

Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    That's how I've been playing it and I haven't been disappointed. That was also how I played SWTOR and I wasn't disappointed by that either.
    Have to agree with this.

I would never suggest buying an MMO to play solo unless it didn't have a monthly sub... like GW2 and (now) SWTOR.

WOW's biggest failings are it's leveling process and story immersion. It's very heavily end game focused. I want to like MOP, and on many levels I do, but it's become too much of a 2nd life game in many ways, and in others it's just stale (not hating on WOW, been playing since Vanilla and still do). I think part of it comes to from playing the game for so long, but I do find the GW franchise more immersing.

So yea, I'd suggest giving it a go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely not. The game would be horribly boring if you didn't take part in the group interactions, the whole design of the game is to "hot group" to take down special events or powerful foes.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    If you want a single player RPG play a single player RPG... idk why would you want to deal with an mmo in that case, there are a lot of "good" single player rpg's like Kingdoms of amalur (not as good as skyrim, it's decent) - Fable 1 (PLEASE DONT BUY ANY OTHER THAN THE FIRST ONE PLEASE DONT) - Fallout franchise
    This right here, if you ever play fable 1...do not touch 2-3 or any other next gen fable game. Also get it on PC, it adds an entire story on top of the endgame.

Fable: The Lost Chapters is prob one of the most amazing games I ever played, I still cannot get around how they succeeded in destroying such a good game in next game in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Absolutely not. The game would be horribly boring if you didn't take part in the group interactions, the whole design of the game is to "hot group" to take down special events or powerful foes.
    To me that never really felt like usual grouping, though. It felt more like a bunch of NCPs that all helped me fight and had really good AI.

Definitely yes even though the story is not spectacular or even interesting, some might even say it is lame. Leveling and grinding end-game currencies are pretty much single player activities anyways, even though there will be other players and bots doing the same thing as you. All you would be missing out on is dungeons, and well..

No...

The game is fun for the MMO aspect of it and not the RPG in my opinion. From the stories I played most are poorly written and executed and some of the dialogue is just cringe worthy.

If you want an MMO for the story and RPG part of it then go for SWTOR which is going free to play soon up to max level so that you can enjoy the stories.

Deleted
    I found leveling a character from 1 to 80 was/is very enjoyable. But I have to agree with most people here, GW2 is great because of it's MMO part not so much for its RPG part. I never had problems with events/veterans and being alone in a zone though, but then I do play on a full server.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    To me that never really felt like usual grouping, though. It felt more like a bunch of NCPs that all helped me fight and had really good AI.
    I never said it was usual grouping. I hated having to run back to the nearest town-area and spam chat for 5 more people to help me kill some random shit in the world.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Since I've been playing it for 350 hours as a single player RPG, I'd say yes. It is easily worth the $60 bucks. You don't even have to buy gems if you don't want to. Just use any gold you make to buy gems.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    So I was checking GW2 at beta, liked craft, liked messing around but overall was not impressed enough to buy the game.

Now Im little bored and I wonder now, is GW2 worth buying for story only? Is the RPG accent good? Im not interested with PvP but Im thinking about trying GW2 as a "single player RPG" with alot of messing like in Skyrim but Im not sure if its worth trying this way.

Any suggestions?
    its worth $60 that's for sure. and if you want to treat it like a single player rpg then just treat all the other people running around the world as npc's. It will be impossible to play this game without helping others in some group quest (dynamic event). People flock to dynamic events so you eventually will be joining others - best part is you don't actually have to form a party you just have to do the quest and everyone gets rewarded. Nobody can steal your loot either so its a win/win situation.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    You will have put in 10 times more gametime than into a game like Mass Effect 3, from that point of view, definitely worth the price. Also you never know, maybe you will like the game enough to play with others
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbald View Post
    I'll give you a very good reason why you shouldn't:

when you hear people talk about the fun of leveling in GW2, with the events everybody is doing together, and how loot is shared, and mobs are shared by all who attack them... they are moslty talking about the first weeks.

I started playing GW2 when it was little over a month old.
    Once I passed the first leveling zone, i found myself more alone than with others.

If i saw a challenge mob i wanted to tackle ( veteran or what not) I had to kill several normal mobs just to get to him. While fighting the special mob, those normal mobs spawn right in my back.
    Respawn rates alone make it very hard to solo when really alone.

Events can't be done alone, but many people aren't even bothering anymore. The thrill is gone for some, and the loot is awfull from them anyway.

GW2 has a system of 'downscaling' meaning that every max level scales down to the level he is in. This should allow max levels to have fun in the lower zones.
    one small problem: there is little incentive for them to do so. In fact: travel costs alone make it not worth it for many.
    So while i was hoping to see many max levels everywhere, I just see them in the highest level area Orr, nowhere else (except major city and pvp zone).

GW2 is a wonderfull game to wander about alone in... IF there are other people around.

Should you decide to go for it, than keep swapping servers till you find one that has people in he zone you're in (server swapping is free for now, and has a 24h cooldown).

Officially the servers are very full and crowded, but in reality I find them to be empty an awfull lot of times. Or better: the mid level area's are.

Many say it isn't true that a lot of players simply left. I can't tell for sure. All i know is that if they are still playing, they're not in the lower zones.
    We haven't played the same game then. A bunch of high lvls are ALWAYS in the lower zones, doing jumping puzzles, hearts, exploring and gathering. Heck, even I ( I'm notorious that i hate do to the same things twice including revisiting zones I've been in ) find myself 40% of all my play time going around in some lower lvl zone.

You either had a pretty shitty extreme low pop server, or you're just poking into unknown. Also a lot of events can be done alone 'cause the same events we are talking about have a population scale ( that means that the difficulty will rise as more players join your fight in the event - that means more mobs, special mobs, and mobs get different more advanced abilities ) World zone events are not made to be done alone, so they are extremely hard to do alone, but they are only 2-3 depending on the zone while there are 100 ( all together ) non World events in the same zone.

Deleted
    If you want this game to become your second life - go somewhere else (I pray the lord that GW2 is not trying to be second WoW...). If you want to feel the world, play the game whathever you like (story, leveling, exploration, crafting,) and you are collectionist type of player - buy it and you will find yourself pleased for many many months. GW2 is NOT a single player RPG, to be honest its hard to clasify this game... On one hand its mmo - but you can play it solo (no idea what realms people are playing on when i read that people do not bother with events - whoever wrote that, seriously, change your realm....), on the other hand its RPG but you can feel that its a living worlds with tons of people busy with sth... and there is pvp too.

Absolutely. It's incredibly immersive and it has tons of content even for the 'soloist'. Undoubtedly the multiplayer aspect will pull you in whether you want it or not. A win-win situation if you ask me.

I agree with quite a few other replies, it's provided the best leveling and immersion I've ever experienced in a game, single- and multiplayer.

No. If you're buying entirely for a single player RPG it is very lackluster unless you love grinding......wait for SWTOR to go free to play or go pick up an actual single player RPG.

10+ Year Old Account
    The personal story isn't good enough for me to recommend it for the single player experience. Also, sometimes you can continue your personal story until you gain like 4 levels, which means you have to go grind levels, sometimes in other zones, by doing hearts and discovering things on the map. Bored me.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the way I played it. I still feel it should have just been a single player rpg. I don't like most of the multiplayer parts - the dungeons, the PvP, etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have to agree, in terms of pure main story potential SW:TOR rocked but their hub questlines were a little bit repetitive and felt a bit uninspired in parts. The whole opposite to GW2 actually If you are levelling and stay within areas a longer you will get to know about the regional story background more and they are not as bad even hilarious in parts. The personal storyline however I find a little bit...undercut well *aside from the the Asura ones* of course. I find those most enjoyable of all until the generic main story takes over.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Deleted
    If options out there or soon to be released like Assassin's Creed 3, Hitman, Halo 4 or GTA5 - I wouldnt even consider buying GW2.