Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why is everybody whining about leveling?

Hey, i was just reading this post on the forums: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7004031268

And i started wondering, is leveling from 85-90 actually hard for people?

I did it three times now, each one taking about one day, 19 hours on priest, 14 on warrior and 15 on hunter, most recent one was hunter which i did this saturday, are other people having a really hard time doing that? everybody thinks that you should speed up the leveling with flying mounts or less experience, but that would make the 85-90 last like 8 hours, which means you could do 75-90 in a day - supposedly the hardest levels!

Leveling is a big part of the game, i know that the game doesn't really start untill level 90, but you need some challenge when leveling in order to learn how to play the class. Or atleast some people do.

SMBDY XPLYN PLX

Edit: just wanted this in the original post aswell, because it perfeclty reflects my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    Leveling is tedious? Whos fault is that? When you can't die unless you pull 10 mobs and 'elites' are pushovers yes it becomes tedious. When all the quests are linear then yes it becomes tedious. I never wanted that.

They can nerf 85-90 but next time people complain again that it should be faster. Like needing 20 hours of leveling for a whole new expansion which you paid € 35 for isn't short enough.

"But it's about endgame not leveling". Then why are you already leveling alts? Clearly you barely played endgame.
    Especially the last line is awesome
    Last edited by mmocf0203e43c2; 2012-10-29 at 02:21 PM.

It's not that it's too hard. It's just very long and tedious without the benefit of a flying mount or any BoA items. This followed by the extraordinary amount of dailies required for any min/maxer or more serious player is tiring as even on a good day you're going to spend at least an hour and a half doing all of the available dailies assuming none are at exalted.

Leveling is not a big part of the game. It is old content to anyone who has already reached the maximum level. The reality is that in World of Warcraft the key design is end-game and leveling is limiting factor in front of it. It is not hard to 'learn a class' due to the ridiculous homogenization of classes and the availability of information regarding classes and their cookie-cutter rotations and talents online. I could pick up any class at 90 and within twenty minutes you could know just about every specialization and rotation thanks to the internet (even shorter for some, if not most). Most people could. Those who can't don't even grasp their own classes after leveling anyway.

It all comes down to time. Not everyone has ample amounts of it.

Yeah, I don't get this complaint either.

'OMG BLIZZ, THIS GAME IS BORING GIVE US STUFF TO DO'
    'Ok, here's an extended levelling game, plenty of dailies, heroics, raids, LFR, PvP...'
    'WOAH SLOW DOWN THAT'S WAY TOO MUCH YOU'RE MAKING US DO TOO MUCH!!!'

Yeah what. How can there be 'too much'. You won't get bored, there's plenty to do! Get playing the game.

Of course, you could argue that you find the content boring, which is a separate argument entirely. To which I'd say... if you're bored of the game, why are you playing it?

Deleted
    People whine about everthing

Deleted
    For me it's not about time, it's just not fun the second time, and grinding dungeons or pvp is gruesomely slow in comparison.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you need some boost, you could get the archeology polearm and the off-hand item. Both require lvl85 and have ilvl 463. They are quite easy to get, as you get skill points from survey every single time these days. It used to stop at 50 or something. Shame that there is no strength equivalent though.

And use the 10% xp/rep boost you get from torching the wickerman while you still can.

Deleted
    Because it's extremely boring.

Quote Originally Posted by snegro View Post
    It's not that it's too hard. It's just very long and tedious without the benefit of a flying mount or any BoA items. This followed by the extraordinary amount of dailies required for any min/maxer or more serious player is tiring as even on a good day you're going to spend at least an hour and a half doing all of the available dailies assuming none are at exalted.

Leveling is not a big part of the game. It is old content to anyone who has already reached the maximum level. The reality is that in World of Warcraft the key design is end-game and leveling is limiting factor in front of it. It is not hard to 'learn a class' due to the ridiculous homogenization of classes and the availability of information regarding classes and their cookie-cutter rotations and talents online. I could pick up any class at 90 and within twenty minutes you could know just about every specialization and rotation thanks to the internet (even shorter for some, if not most). Most people could. Those who can't don't even grasp their own classes after leveling anyway.

It all comes down to time. Not everyone has ample amounts of it.
    If you don't have the time you shouldn't be leveling alts. Plain and simple.

People have become COMPLETELY self entitled in this game. BC there was no such tome for flying and you didn't get flying until 70. That wasn't changed until WotLK and people made alts just fine. 10 levels of alts at that. The idea that alts NEED Pandaren flying is garbage and it's people who spout that who are ruining the game. Just like the blue post recently said in regards to I think it was reputation or leveling: Why not just make an NPC who hands out gold then? Not everyone will use it, but plenty would want it I bet.

I only get to play about 0-2 hours a week because I have a newborn and personally I feel like I'm leveling at a faster pace than previous expansions. And since I've come to accept the fact that I won't be able to raid at any kind of serious level anymore, I'm really enjoying the flow of questing and the new zones...but since I'm now a casual, I don't know if my opinion matters to hardcore players.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Define "hard".

As in actually technically difficult, like Heroic Raiding or the like (or even Heroic 5-mans in early-mid Cata)?

Obviously not. It's very easy. There is no "challenge" to it. You say "You need some challenge when leveling in order to learn how to play the class". I totally agree. However, there ISN'T ANY. Not in 85-90. Not in 70-85. Not in 1-60 or 60-70.

The reason people are whining is that it is boring and tedious. You say "you could do 75-90 in a day" and assume a 16-hour day. When most people play 2-4 hours a day, that's closer to a week or more, which actually seems fairly reasonable. In practice, however, your numbers are lowballs - a good, focused player who knows what they're doing can get the numbers you describe, but they're not typical. So that needs to be accounted for too.

All in all, the problem is that in WoW levelling, people generally learn very little (particularly if the solo-quest) about actually playing, so it's really just a tedious quest-grind. This is why people don't like it. Not because it's challenging in a "skill" sense. It's challenge in a "patience" sense.
    Last edited by Eurhetemec; 2012-10-29 at 12:15 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zykaz View Post
    you need some challenge when leveling in order to learn how to play the class. Or atleast some people do.
    Yeah you need, but where is the challenge (during leveling)? I saw none in the last 3 expansions.

10+ Year Old Account
    "I did it, ergo everyone else can do it and like it too."

Questing in MoP was god-awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

It's because everyone wants everything right now.

Levelling takes quite some time, but was never challenging for me (as 85 questgeared feral druid). It takes quite some time, but I only had to complete 3,5 zone to get to 90 (and that's without running any pvp/dungeons), so it's not like you have to finish everything. People just don't have patience anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynati View Post
    Patience and reason do appear to be in short supply these days in the gaming community.

Maybe they're just tired of doing it so many times over the years without having it change in a substantial way.

15+ Year Old Account
    If everyone is whining that pretty much means you are the anomaly that got it all wrong

Personally, leveling is fun but it took too long. I'm playing to raid and PvP, not to spend weeks leveling and doing daileys.
    In my view it could be slightly more XP & reputation, 10-15% or so and it would have been perfect.

Also:
    Leveling is a big part of the game, i know that the game doesn't really start untill level 90, but you need some challenge when leveling in order to learn how to play the class. Or atleast some people do.
    There is zero challenge in leveling, in fact the areas that got any challenge to it are 1% of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneru View Post
    It's because everyone wants everything right now.

Levelling takes quite some time, but was never challenging for me (as 85 questgeared feral druid). It takes quite some time, but I only had to complete 3,5 zone to get to 90 (and that's without running any pvp/dungeons), so it's not like you have to finish everything. People just don't have patience anymore.
    If you'd actually bother reading some of the complaint post rather than making generalisations, you'd find that it isn't "we want to be level 90 right now". The problem is that questing was insufferable owing to how many of them were generic "Kill X mobs for Y drop" over, and over, and over. Not to mention that a lot of mobs have higher health than I would consider actually fun to grind through at any gear level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    I always hate leveling but i just put my head down and got it done, took me 3 days irl playing around work schedule. I found it to be pretty long tbh more because the quests just felt like a chore.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneru View Post
    People just don't have patience anymore.
    WoW players are getting older. Older = less free time (until you get to retirement!). Less free time = less patience with pointless stuff.

Plus there is more competition from other good games right now than usual, which makes getting past the "boring bit" of MoP (levelling) to the "interesting bit" (heroics, raiding, PvP and challenge modes) a bigger issue than it used to be. WoW isn't providing enough fun whilst levelling, it's wasting people's time. If it was fun, people wouldn't whine. I mean, 20 hours of doing pointless joke-quests in WoW, or 20 hours of XCOM or Dishonoured or the like? Which would I rather be doing? Yet if it's 20 hours of max-level-play in WoW, the equation is more even - it's a genuine choice.

Simple as that.
    Last edited by Eurhetemec; 2012-10-29 at 12:23 PM.

Because folks know that Blizz does eventually listen to 'please make x easier / less time consuming' requests if there's enough noise being made.

Not sure exactly when it was decided that rolling 3-4 raid ready alts was considered status quo, but absolutely nothing is forcing you to level more than once.

---------- Post added 2012-10-29 at 08:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    WoW players are getting older. Older = less free time (until you get to retirement!). Less free time = less patience with pointless stuff.
    Then decide what class you like best, and stick with it. Problem solved.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not the leveling that is pissing me off in this expansion, it's what happens after you hit 90 on a new alt.

I just got my Shaman to 90 last night and was excited to go and get him some LW patterns so he can start making his own gear. Turns out, I need to go from neutral to honored with Golden Lotus for that to happen.

Go from neutral to honored? AGAIN?!

Oh well, guess he's not getting those patterns until after 5.1 drops...