Page 1 of 2
LastLast

MechWarrior Online goes Open Beta today! (Free to play)

What is MechWarrior Online?

MechWarrior Online is an online, multiplayer-only FPS set in the BattleTech universe. The game is currently in 3049, 6 years prior to the events of MechWarrior 2, and about 5-6 months prior to the Clan Invasion.

Why should I play it?

Do you ever get tired of FPS game where you get shot in 3 seconds? Do you enjoy firefights that require strategy, positioning, and skill? Do you enjoy piloting gigantic 80's style robots that shoot lasers and missiles? Do you like tinkering with mech construction and weapon composition?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, this game may be for you.

Where do I get it?

Open Beta will be going live today at ~12PM MST, and you can sign up and download the free client here:

http://www.mwomercs.com

What are the game modes?

Currently, the game runs in an 8v8 capture point format, with each team having 8 mechs of equal class (Light, Medium, Heavy & Assault) on either side, trying to either destroy/disable each other, or capture their base.

In the near future, this will be expanded to 12v12 on larger maps with more game modes (Conquest mode will be revealed on Nov. 6th), and a large spanning Community Warfare with Planetary Capture, resource ownership, and House vs House grouping will be implemented.

Okay, I like robots, but how cool does it look?

Glad you asked.

A wonderful fan made trailer by Paingod

And a fun video made by yours truly

How awesome is this game?

It's so awesome I put together this somewhat informative post.

http://www.mwomercs.com

EDIT: Update 2:03 PM MST

Servers are online! Sign up and download now!
    Last edited by Grraarrgghh; 2012-10-29 at 08:04 PM.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

Forgot to make an account and start downloading this before heading out to work this morning. I guess that's for tomorrow. I have a very full plate when it comes to games (specifically MMO's) as it is, but I don't see why not to give this a shot.

I would like to say I have a lot of games to play (GW2, BL2, Dishonored, XCOM, WoW, etc) but I have been ignoring the hell out of them for the last 3 months...

I would never have realized robots would have such a grip on me...

Their servers seem quite un-responsive at the moment, can't register an account. Sends me back to the register page again, with no errors or telling what I did wrong.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Their servers seem quite un-responsive at the moment, can't register an account. Sends me back to the register page again, with no errors or telling what I did wrong.
    Part of the Open Beta launch is a website overhaul and the removal of the Closed Beta forum. They're likely updating the game servers/website/forum at the moment. PGI typically does patching between 11 AM to 1 PM MST, and it's currently 11:39 MST.

In an hour or less, I assume everything will be back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Grraarrgghh View Post
    Part of the Open Beta launch is a website overhaul and the removal of the Closed Beta forum. They're likely updating the game servers/website/forum at the moment. PGI typically does patching between 11 AM to 1 PM MST, and it's currently 11:39 MST.

In an hour or less, I assume everything will be back up.
    Alright, thanks.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

15+ Year Old Account
    I really wanna try this out, I loved the MechWarrior series! Unfortunately I get the same problems as Dezerte when trying to register.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Deleted
    Played a bit in closed beta, hopefully it's more crappy PC friendly now as it nearly cooked my ram and GPU great game so far, takes ages to get used to movement though!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonticus View Post
    Played a bit in closed beta, hopefully it's more crappy PC friendly now as it nearly cooked my ram and GPU great game so far, takes ages to get used to movement though!
    They updated the engine to CryEngine 3.4 a few weeks ago, and (I hear) it runs far better on low-end systems. Being CryTech though, it's still fairly heavy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Haven't played a Mech game since MechAssault on the Xbox. Loved the first, hated the second (running to your mech was so dumb). Unfortunately my PC back in the day was a pos so I never got into the Mechwarrior series, but I just built a new PC in late August and can't wait to get on open beta.

Love the information you've provided, helps add to the anticipation. Do you happen to have any beginner guides or just basic tips for us once we get in there? Or is it basically a trial/error type of game?

Damn, have a raid tonight in wow. Guess I'll have to start downloading after and play tomorrow. Can't wait to give it a try, always been a fan of the mechwarrior games.

Quote Originally Posted by Gritalian View Post
    Haven't played a Mech game since MechAssault on the Xbox. Loved the first, hated the second (running to your mech was so dumb). Unfortunately my PC back in the day was a pos so I never got into the Mechwarrior series, but I just built a new PC in late August and can't wait to get on open beta.

Love the information you've provided, helps add to the anticipation. Do you happen to have any beginner guides or just basic tips for us once we get in there? Or is it basically a trial/error type of game?
    Unfortunately, being a goon all my secrets are hidden behind a curtain in the secret clubhouse of the Word Of Lowtax (squawk).

PGI (developer) posted this beginners video 3 days ago:

Also, there will be lots of guides and build threads up very quickly on the official MWO forums after the upgrade is complete.

In the interest of bringing up the average level of player, I would very much recommend getting onto TS3/Vent/Mumble and finding a Clan on the forum or public TS3 server ASAP.

This is a team game and is meant to be played as such, and you will earn mechs and equipment faster in a group that you will solo, and you'll have a shitload more fun.

---------- Post added 2012-10-29 at 02:05 PM ----------

Double post.

Servers are ONLINE. Sign up and download now!

---------- Post added 2012-10-29 at 04:08 PM ----------

This chart is super handy for those getting started (pay close attention to setting up weapon groups):

Quote Originally Posted by Gritalian View Post
    Haven't played a Mech game since MechAssault on the Xbox.
    You make Baby Victor Steiner-Davion cry.

I hope you have Pryde in yourself for this.

This game is not bad, but...but:
    - Performance issues.
    - Still in early-beta quality, world of tanks was in MUCH MUCH better state year ago during late beta.
    - Devs are postponing updates. They were going to remove 8man premade vs full PUG possibility from matchmaking...guess what...it's postponed to unknonwn future...n/c, its a game-breaking issue ffs!
    - No ideas for the future, sometimes devs say what they wanna add but postponing makes those statement feeling like a dream, nor reality.
    - Annoying matches, I mean...if you are not having 60fps and good skill, light mech "nolifer I have awesome PC hahaha" will headshot-spam you and easily kill...n/c
    - Clunky, badly designed mechlab interface.
    - Unbalanced weaponry, useless machineguns, autocanons have delay when shooting....eh.
    - Badly configured trial mechs, they are overheating SOOOOO fast, it must feel like a real fun for newcomers to get into AWESOME, shoot 3 times and OBERHEATING while Jenner is running circles and headshoing them

The list on official forum was 10 times bigger

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    This game is not bad, but...but:
    - Performance issues.
    - Still in early-beta quality, world of tanks was in MUCH MUCH better state year ago during late beta.
    - Devs are postponing updates. They were going to remove 8man premade vs full PUG possibility from matchmaking...guess what...it's postponed to unknonwn future...n/c, its a game-breaking issue ffs!
    - No ideas for the future, sometimes devs say what they wanna add but postponing makes those statement feeling like a dream, nor reality.
    - Annoying matches, I mean...if you are not having 60fps and good skill, light mech "nolifer I have awesome PC hahaha" will headshot-spam you and easily kill...n/c
    - Clunky, badly designed mechlab interface.
    - Unbalanced weaponry, useless machineguns, autocanons have delay when shooting....eh.
    - Badly configured trial mechs, they are overheating SOOOOO fast, it must feel like a real fun for newcomers to get into AWESOME, shoot 3 times and OBERHEATING while Jenner is running circles and headshoing them

The list on official forum was 10 times bigger
    I'm sure there's a million people willing to address these on the forum, and I do agree with parts of this list (the mechlab UI is awful), but anyone can join a premade. Just hop on the public TS3 server and play. It's a team game FFS.

First thing to note, is that Player Associations are not referred to as Clans here Clans are something different.

• Game-play on dual-core machines is playable, albeit on low settings, of course.
    • The "Lab" was a bit better previously, but is fine now. It just takes knowing where to find customization features.
    • The overheating is only a problem at the start; this is really where "Learn to play" comes in, because it's not a "first person shooter" where the player can fire off their weapon each time it's loaded. For those unfamiliar with Mechwarrior/Battletech, "heat" can be seen as the "spell resource", Mana, Bounty-hunter Heat (ToR), Endurance, etc, of other games - where if you exhaust all of your "action" resources, you can't perform other actions.
    • While weapons are unbalanced, they're not meant to be balanced. Weapons have (mostly) unique stats; this is the core of Battletech, though there is no 'iWin' build. There are some configurations that are more over-powering than most, but they can still be defeated through tactics.
    • Balancing comes in with the weight of the chassis / mech one chooses. MechWarrior can not be compared to Team Fortress 2, in this manner. While all classes serve a role, the heavier units are expected to deal more damage. It's up to the skill of the player to actually make it happen, regardless of the unit they pilot.
    • Coordination is key, in a game like this.
    Spacebar spacebar spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar dark-side.

The poor heat in trial mechs is needed, because newbies have to learn how to manage heat.

That said, they really need to have AMS in the trial mechs. It's pretty much a given for 90% of all builds, and it feels wrong to have every trial mech have an LRM pod, but no AMS.

Awesome I have been checking out this game every month or so wondering when it would be out...I'll have to give it a try this weekend or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Grraarrgghh View Post
    The poor heat in trial mechs is needed, because newbies have to learn how to manage heat.

That said, they really need to have AMS in the trial mechs. It's pretty much a given for 90% of all builds, and it feels wrong to have every trial mech have an LRM pod, but no AMS.
    Very few stock IS Mechs (at least at this time period) had AMS. About the only 'common' one I'm seeing would be the AS7-K.

Deleted
    Been playing for a bit. It's quite fun, however the matchmaking system is horribly broken. Putting pugs against full premades =/