Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Can you tell if someone Played Vanilla/Classic Warcraft from their Achievements

Is there a way to tell if someone played the Original World of Warcraft (up to level 60) by looking at their Achievements?

I think Mine says "Earned the title, "Sargent"" and I know I did it in the Original Version. http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=471 but I'm not sure that proves it.

Does anyone know of any others that prove it?

Thanks
    Bogmore.

Apart from the rare feat of strength, such as Sergeant or High Warlord (before they re-implemented the titles with RBG) I think probably not. Since those titles were only achievable during classic wow. There might be a FoS for the old old unpainted epic mounts, not for sure though.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    I have Earned the title, "Knight-Captain" / Commander / Master Sergeant / Private, those are all from the original honor grind, so yeah, that would "prove" it to an extent. Most people have at least private even if they never played in bgs due to HKs from groups and the like.

Edit: Also, yes, there is a FoS for pre-bg mounts, as I have one, "Old School Ride". That's really the tiniest percent of vanilla players, you had to buy it before like March 2005, I know a lot of people who started playing in November who didn't even hit 60 by then, though I got it in December. You'll rarely ever see anyone with Old School Ride really.

Unfortunately achievements weren't added until mid-late bc so any achievements that were obtainable at all during BC don't differentiate between those earned in vanilla and those not. The early mounts, pvp titles (not achieved recently), and that's about it.

The Tank that waits for everyone to be fully healed/mana before pulling a boss.
    You must become a Master Baiter if you want to want to master the One-eyed Fish of the Dark Caverns!

http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=2079 is one way of knowing that someone played pre-bc

and any Feat of Strength for a PvP Title: Even if the date is off, it just means that they did a faction transfer

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a FoS achievement for acquiring the tabard from the opening of the Dark Portal event. Wouldn't that be proof?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogmore View Post
    Is there a way to tell if someone played the Original World of Warcraft (up to level 60) by looking at their Achievements?

I think Mine says "Earned the title, "Sargent"" and I know I did it in the Original Version. http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=471 but I'm not sure that proves it.

Thanks
    Bogmore.
    The only two ways to know for sure without a shadow of a doubt is any PvP Ranked title that is roughly dated 11/30/10 at the latest (as any date after that could've been achieved via RBG's and this gives enough time for people who took time off and came back before Cata). That and the "Old School Ride" achievement

I think it is a case of looking what FoS they have from 15/10/2008. Stuff earned after this was after achievements went live but there should be something there that gives enough of a clue if you think about it.

Have a pally that rather proudly wears the portal opening tabard for a quick visual
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

yep, looks like old PVP titles as feats of strength are your best bet, and the dark portal event tabard, they would be most common, old school ride would be a rare feat of strength, but still a way to tell

Achievmenets themselves were added as patch 3.0, before official release of Wrath
    I see Stupid people!

Quote Originally Posted by Bitehattori View Post
    The Tank that waits for everyone to be fully healed/mana before pulling a boss.
    I do that when I tank and I didn't start until WotLK. :P

I just flash around my vanilla WoW Collector's Edition pets/FoS.

I guess my question is a little off but, why does it matter? I have the pvp title achieve, but I can assure you that I was terrible in vanilla. I mean I am better now, but playing in vanilla doesn't make people amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    The only two ways to know for sure without a shadow of a doubt is any PvP Ranked title that is roughly dated 11/30/10 at the latest (as any date after that could've been achieved via RBG's and this gives enough time for people who took time off and came back before Cata). That and the "Old School Ride" achievement
    Actually if they have a FoS for any of the original PVP titles the date doesn't matter; the ones introduced through RBGs are regular achievements listed under PVP=>RBGs, not FoS's.

---------- Post added 2012-10-30 at 08:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by darqhur View Post
    I guess my question is a little off but, why does it matter? I have the pvp title achieve, but I can assure you that I was terrible in vanilla. I mean I am better now, but playing in vanilla doesn't make people amazing.
    Yea I got Sergeant Major in vanilla, but damned if I actually knew what I was doing. Probably looking for a way to prove if someone who claims to have played in vanilla actually did, and pretty much anyone who ever set foot in a BG walked away with Private/Scout.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    my sergeant FoS is dated at 16/10/2012 but i got it during vanilla
    what now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogmore View Post

Thanks
    Bogmore.
    Any Old PvP title FoS proves that they played vanilla.

The ability to attain such titles was removed with BC (meaning you HAD to have PvPed in vanilla), thus the FoS...

The dates on the FoS are wrong, because they didn't implement achievements until the pre-launch patch to cataclysm. Thus any retroactive achievement (Such as a FoS) are dated with the first time you logged in after that patch was implemented.
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2012-10-30 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pakmanisgod View Post
    There's a FoS achievement for acquiring the tabard from the opening of the Dark Portal event. Wouldn't that be proof?
    Nope, been playing since day 1 and for some reason I never got the tabard (or at least never kept it).
    to: preposition; used as a function word to indicate position, connection, extent, relation ~ too: adverb; also, very, excessively, so

Quote Originally Posted by Promark View Post
    Nope, been playing since day 1 and for some reason I never got the tabard (or at least never kept it).
    It'd still be proof, just not everyone has it.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no way to tell, what if they have changed accounts? Destroys the "Check the achievs bro!" option. It shouldn't matter in the end. It's easy to fake knowledge about the game but to what end? You have graduate from internet data acquisition?

I've played since the very first wave of alpha testing on World of Warcraft. There were like 20 total quests and the rest of the game was insanely lame. Can I prove it? Hell no, While I still have screenshots from late Vanilla on my drive, I definetly have upgraded since 10 years ago and most of the stuff in Alpha deserves to have stayed there. There are no achievs for being in the alpha and I wouldn't want there to be - the time you play a game isn't a badge of honor for anyone but you.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.