Deleted

Red face PvP Mage. How do they look?

Hey. Jeg recently bought MoP and i wonder how mage's are suited in arena and such. So how good are they in the new expansion, are they still fun to play (I know It differs from player to player, but i'd like your opinions)

Also, what's the best 2v2,3v3 comps including a mage?

Combatshark!

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mages are in a great place right now.

Frost bomb is really strong and I feel like I still have a ton of control (I spec Frostjaw and love it) EDIT: No I don't it DRs with CS :'(

This is mages we're talkin about, they will always be strong.

There's a lot of complaints about the level 90 talents but I would try them out for yourself before forming an opinion (I like incanter's ward a lot... endless mana for spellstealing... even with SS getting a mana increase in the next patch I don't think you will ever go oom with this talent + mana gems)

I can't really comment on the top comps for a mage but I do know that Shatterplay is still very strong (resto druid + mage + spriest)
    Last edited by Orangetai420; 2012-11-02 at 07:40 PM.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    Mages are in a great place right now.

Frost bomb is really strong and I feel like I still have a ton of control (I spec Frostjaw and love it)

This is mages we're talkin about, they will always be strong.

There's a lot of complaints about the level 90 talents but I would try them out for yourself before forming an opinion (I like incanter's ward a lot... endless mana for spellstealing... even with SS getting a mana increase in the next patch I don't think you will ever go oom with this talent + mana gems)

I can't really comment on the top comps for a mage but I do know that Shatterplay is still very strong (resto druid + mage + spriest)
    The level 90 talent's are a bit dull in my opinion.

Mages are in a VERY good spot at the moment. I've played Shattreeplay (Mage,Rdruid,SP), WMD(Warrior,Mage,Druid) and Shatterplay (Mage,Rshaman,SP) all to around 2150-2300 this season and they all work very well. You can also try running with Warlocks, Rogues, Elemental Shamans, DK's and pretty much anything.

As for 2v2, I'm guessing Mage/Rdruid or SP is probably the strongest comps you can run in 2s.

For the talents, if you're playing arenas, never spec Frostjaw. It DR's Counter Spell AND your Frost Novas. Witout CoC nova now you really don't want to DR your novas.
    PoM -> Alter Time -> RoF -> Alter Time -> Instant cast spell you wish to use is super strong at the moment. Frost Bomb damage with damage trinket and target in a freeze/fof proc is insane. Your control is amazing and the short CD on Cold Snap combined with Cold Snap talent really gives you a lot of survivability.

TLDR; Mages are super strong at the moment and an asset for every team. Comps; Shattreeplay, Shatterplay, WMD, RMD, MLS, MLD are all strong.

Judging by the current rankings mages are maybe a bit to strong since their representation is allot higher (ignoring the healers) then the other dps classes (highest is warrior and hunter).

In other words you will be decent/strong in arena's but not overpowered like warriors and hunters

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Judging by the current rankings mages are maybe a bit to strong since their representation is allot higher (ignoring the healers) then the other dps classes (highest is warrior and hunter).

In other words you will be decent/strong in arena's but not overpowered like warriors and hunters
    I would say mages are rather fine as they are atm, but other specs are all over the place... Under/overpowered, just take a look at rogues on top teams, hehe what rogues?

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    I would say mages are rather fine as they are atm, but other specs are all over the place... Under/overpowered, just take a look at rogues on top teams, hehe what rogues?
    Mages have too much control. That's it. One of the biggest reasons to play with one is good damage (Frost Bomb) and Incredible CC with , Poly, DF, RoF, CS and Novas/Slows. This combined with another class who has spammable CC you can just CCtrain the enemy healer if you're skilled enough and they will be powerless.

fucking overpowered

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Frost Bomb > Pet Nova > Fire Blast > Alter time > 2x FFB and 4 FoF's which can cripple enemy players. I've found in low mmr 2s that I can land a kill with that burst alone. I feel that I have too much control at the moment, but the damage can be toned down a bit. Not dived into 3s as of yet, but looking to try this soon and test out the burst/control in a more competitive environment. Right now I can dominate in 2s, 2k RBGs and randoms battlegrounds.

The amount of CC they have makes up for their incredibly weak natural defenses. I think they're the only class with no reliant hybrid healing asides from their evocation talent/glyph, but your opponent needs to be terrible to let you cast it. They have no damage reduction abilities asides from Molten Armor and Ice Barrier.

They hit hard, but they get hit hard too. If you take away their CC abilities, there needs to be some balancing in favor of their natural defenses. Like giving back the 15% dmg reduction in frost armor or reverting the PTR ice barrier changes.

Frost bomb needs to be toned down a bit, but it's not a problem at higher MMR. It's the same as conflag locks from previous expansions. A good healer would completely shut down a destro lock in DPS.

Deleted
    We're too good atm.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schizocaria View Post
    The amount of CC they have makes up for their incredibly weak natural defenses. I think they're the only class with no reliant hybrid healing asides from their evocation talent/glyph, but your opponent needs to be terrible to let you cast it. They have no damage reduction abilities asides from Molten Armor and Ice Barrier.

They hit hard, but they get hit hard too. If you take away their CC abilities, there needs to be some balancing in favor of their natural defenses. Like giving back the 15% dmg reduction in frost armor or reverting the PTR ice barrier changes.

Frost bomb needs to be toned down a bit, but it's not a problem at higher MMR. It's the same as conflag locks from previous expansions. A good healer would completely shut down a destro lock in DPS.
    Check out glyph of armors... and mage armor is amazing against caster teams. Frost armor does kinda suck this season but we can get a 16% molten armor so its all good.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.