Page 24 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    The easiest way to settle all of this is for Blizzard to simply come out and say "aside from our point upgrade system do not expect to spend much time on valor or getting upgrades through valor gear because don't want that to be the focus" in fact they may as well just remove it. It would instantly silence any of this and it would be much more honest then what's happening now.
    The irony in this post is that Blizzard HAS said exactly that on several occasions. It has been explained multiple times that they did not like how much of a focus Valor became in the gearing process. Their intention is that gear should come primarily from boss drops. And yet, despite them saying this, people still think they NEED Valor gear in order to raid.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

10+ Year Old Account
    The easiest way to settle all of this is for Blizzard to simply come out and say "aside from our point upgrade system do not expect to spend much time on valor or getting upgrades through valor gear because don't want that to be the focus" in fact they may as well just remove it. It would instantly silence any of this and it would be much more honest then what's happening now.
    I believe that's what they actually said.
    I remember reading a blue post that explained that JP/VP is there now for the rather casual players who take their time questing through the content, and gather competitive gear outside of raids. For raiders the path is a different one. Since the gear from competitive raiding is of better quality. There's also not a single Set piece to get from valor.
    If you want that, you must raid.
    I wonder why the casual community who enjoys the content outside of instances doesn't cry about that?
    They take that for what it is... No one needs a tier set for stuff outside of raiding content.
    On the contrary, no one who raids needs stuff from outside that content.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    That also boils down to individual mistake.
    When we make alts, we have to remember that at some point in time we get a new expansion and will have to start the leveling/progressing process with those alts all over again. So we have been too careless, and overlooked that fact.
    Now many of us played for a long time, and alts accumulated. I said that in another thread before. Let's apply a rule of thumbs.

Vanilla gave us 2 toons.. We were busy with them. Then with TBC we added 2 more... With WotLK another 2.. Same goes with Cata.
    And now we sit there, with an army of toons. But is that Blizzards fault or responsibility now, to take care of them?
    We usually rolled them, when we had time to do something else, or needed a break from the current main toons progression. So we turned to alts.
    Now at the beginning of a new expansion, that army of alts seem to overwhelm. I get that, I got such an army too... lol
    But what I look at is the big picture. I know I have about 2 years time to get them, or the ones I want, all the way up to par again.
    So far I am up there with 2 toons. The others, are still sitting on hold.. I will get to them when I feel like it.
    My current leveling progress is:
    2 lvl 90s. 1 lvl 87, 1 lvl 86, 5 lvl 85s, 1 lvl 81, 4 lvl 80s. And of course, a lowbie level 16 panda.
    None of them, other than the first 4 are of any concern for me atm.
    You're not wrong. But the thought of re-doing these rep grinds 10 times gives me the willies. BUT - I do recognize that, at some point, there will be gear resets and it will matter less. The issue, I guess, is gating crafting patterns behind reps.

I'd love to level, say, my JC and Enchanting which exist on 2 different alts. But if i can't get the patterns I need without rep grinds (and I'm not even sure if this is the case), then it's not worth doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post
    The irony in this post is that Blizzard HAS said exactly that on several occasions. It has been explained multiple times that they did not like how much of a focus Valor became in the gearing process. Their intention is that gear should come primarily from boss drops. And yet, despite them saying this, people still think they NEED Valor gear in order to raid.
    Can you please cite a source that says this in crystal clarity and not ambiguously? I like to think I follow the game and keep tabs on it at a regular basis but I may have missed that particular memo.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

I am not a huge fan of dailies, but it really doesn't seem that bad. If you only carry about valor gear, then you ignore tillers, cloud serps, and anglers. Even if you do want the vanity mounts and farming options (I did), then you choose one work it up slowly. If you happen to have alot of time to kill on a day off, then you can advance more than one. That seems like pretty good design.

That leaves you with Golden Lotus and Klaxxi. That's it. When you get Golden Lotus to revered, you'll probably be almost done with Klaxxi too (at least I was). After that, two smaller hubs open up with Shado and the Temple quests. Each hub of quests is less than 15 minutes for me as a tank. I tend to do them early in the morning, so I never really run into huge issues with contested spawns. The whole thing was an hour at the start, but now it is less than 30 minutes. (I get on a flight path between Shado and the Temple quests and go eat breakfastt before doing the second set unless it is the Ox temple).

I am no thrilled with doing them on a second character, though I've been working on Tillers on my main alt and ignoring the rest more or less.

I think the biggest problem is people are trying to take them all on at once. If you have alot of time, that's fine. If you don't, then well don't. If you are a raider and absolutely hate dailies, that's fine too. Just put up with it for your valor gear options til revered for a week or two to unlock your gear. Valor gear like anything else is optional I think...oh for any serious raider, I am sure it is not, but I bet you can raid just find in 463 gear. If you are commitment to raiding, then the dailies should deter you.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only people that are "required" to do dailies are in hard core progression guilds that are pushing the limit and required people to grind out that rep to get better gear ahead of the curve. Guess what? If you are still grinding those dailies then you are not in one of those top end guilds, else you would be done with the grind by now and have your gear.

If you are not in a hard core progression guild then you can set your own pace. If you do not want to do dailies then you can continue to do MV FLR until you get the gear to do the Heart and Terrance LFRs.

You also have Crafted Gear that can be obtained, at a price, and gear from Sha of Anger. Yes to get the rep gear you have to do dailies but you do not need the rep gear to progress. It is just one option that offers guaranteed loot.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    No I like dungeons they simple stopped having any reward for me and became rather pointless. You like daily quests? well you could do them in cataclysm... but what happened you weren't doing them in cata?
    I wasn't doing any of it in Cata. I was PvPing, haha.

My points remain though:
    1) If you liked Rift better you would be there, not here. If you're still here then you're going to have to admit that Blizzard is doing "it" better.

2) Blizzard is doing the best they can with content. It takes time. They just released a wonderful expansion that you're already jaded about.

3) And a new one. If you say you like the dungeons but never do them anymore, I have to wonder if you actually liked them to begin with. I still run old content from time to time. I also level alts so I can experience it again. you also dislike dailies. What DO you like doing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooba View Post
    I wasn't doing any of it in Cata. I was PvPing, haha.

My points remain though:
    1) If you liked Rift better you would be there, not here. If you're still here then you're going to have to admit that Blizzard is doing "it" better.

2) Blizzard is doing the best they can with content. It takes time. They just released a wonderful expansion that you're already jaded about.

3) And a new one. If you say you like the dungeons but never do them anymore, I have to wonder if you actually liked them to begin with. I still run old content from time to time. I also level alts so I can experience it again. you also dislike dailies. What DO you like doing?
    1. Blizzard is not doing "it" better when it comes to content release. You keep ignoring the fact that they haad 9 months without a single fucking content patch.

2. I don't believe that for a minute and I'm not sure why any of you accepts that.

3. You'll get the answer to this when you tell me why you didn't run dailies in cata.
    The hammer comes down:
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    Man, this times 1000. I guess the double rep after Revered will help somewhat but still, this xpac is not alt-friendly, like, at all.
    This is probably the most ignorant statement I've read. This expansion is the most alt-friendly the game has ever been. Once your main character is capped on valor, you get an account-wide buff that increases valor gain for all other characters by 50%. Pretty soon you'll get a bonus to rep for all your other characters once your main character hits revered with a faction.

Not only that, but your main will get a buff to make revered to exalted even easier. Have you tried the new cooking leveling? Dear god, it is gloriously easy and fast. Account bound tomes to level alt fishing. LFR to get some gear progression without having to commit to guild schedules for the rest of your life. Even with mounts and pets account-wide, you really only need to get a reputation mount/pet on one char and everyone gets to enjoy it (minus Order of the Serpent, every char will have to do that, but you have eggs as alternative, and again, there will be a rep buff soon). I've never been happier to have alts then this expansion, and now I get to use them for more then professions!

But I agree with all this gripe about dailies. Its the same issue I have with Heroic raid level gear. Why can I only get those through heroic raids? I don't like spending all that time to do heroic raids. I feel I should be able to acquire those items through something I like, questing. I'm really thinking of unsubbing because of the stupid REQUIRED grindy-ness of Heroic raids. I mean, heroic raid level gear is absolutely required for progression through this game, and its pointless to play if you don't have it. Maybe they can also make it so you can buy heroic raid level gear by gaining tokens in heroic dungeons while wearing a tabard, cause I don't feel I should be required to burn out on heroic raids.

I hate people who
    a) hate dailies
    AND
    b) post in whine threads about it.

So yes, I do hate a lot of people in this thread.

Deleted
    Actually no I don't do them. After getting 463 their is no reason to do them. Again I could make the same argument about dailies. If dailies in cata were worth doing you'd do them. They weren't and neither are dungeons currently.
    It feels like Blizzard is intentionally trying to kill doing 5 mans as a viable way of playing. Compared to previous expansions:
    -no faction reputation can be gained
    -last boss isn't dropping anything worthwhile like orbs for crafting
    -they removed deserter debuff
    -last two points promote "leave if I don't get an item I want from a first boss" behaviour
    -valor and justice gains has been drastically reduced
    -can't spend that valor anyway unless I do tons of dailies

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    1. Blizzard is not doing "it" better when it comes to content release. You keep ignoring the fact that they haad 9 months without a single fucking content patch.

2. I don't believe that for a minute and I'm not sure why any of you accepts that.

3. You'll get the answer to this when you tell me why you didn't run dailies in cata.
    Now you're just being petulant. I already explained what I did in Cata. In fact I went into far more detail earlier in the thread. 9 months without a content patch in which time they then release a whole expansion. Boo hoo?

You're getting increasingly angry, and it's starting to show. I don't mean to pick or be rude, but I'm going to ask you the same question which two others have been honest enough to answer: Are you sure you should still be playing this game? I think it might be time for you to move on, because I get the sense that it's no longer fun for you.

Edit: typos.

A solution that should be praised for i's efficacy. Frankly it's the only way we will see any change.
    I just wish more people would unsub then stay the hell off a forum about a game they no longer play. I don't want to hear the Q.Q's the fact is you dont need to do dailies to gear. Hell i dont the only exalted faction i have is the China Dragon one, i have mid rep in some but i dont do them much. Im ilvl 470 its just do heroics get into lfr raid with your guild real easy.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baergrillz View Post
    Wait so your saying there is no option to raid for valor? to run heroics for valor? To do LFR for Valor? To do Scenarios for Valor? yea clearly out of options.
    They aren't saying that GETTING the valor points themselves doesn't have multiple options, but that in order to SPEND it there is only one option. That one option is to do dailies to unlock Honored/Revered reputation with the faction(s) you need gear in to spend it. Unless you just want 3000 Valor Points sitting in your Currency Tab not being able to be used, you need to do dailies. That was the point they were making. That's a world of difference from your flawed interpretation of what they said.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Melodi, Resto Druid

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sznur View Post
    It feels like Blizzard is intentionally trying to kill doing 5 mans as a viable way of playing. Compared to previous expansions:
    -no faction reputation can be gained
    -last boss isn't dropping anything worthwhile like orbs for crafting
    -they removed deserter debuff
    -last two points promote "leave if I don't get an item I want from a first boss" behaviour
    -valor and justice gains has been drastically reduced
    -can't spend that valor anyway unless I do tons of dailies
    My suspicion is their trying to shove people into raiding for whatever reason. Maybe cause you can raid once a week. It's easier to pace then giving people dungeons and tabards and rewards outside the raid. They really ought to just get rid of valor gear entirely form everything. Make it CLEAR as day light that's what's happening. The dailies can keep the BiS repices and Tokens and shit but if you want to get rid of valor gear then get rid of it ffs.

---------- Post added 2012-10-30 at 03:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sooba View Post
    Now you're just being petulant. I already explained what I did in Cata. In fact I went into far more detail earlier in the thread. 9 months without a content patch in which time they then release a whole expansion. Boo hoo?

You're getting increasingly angry, and it's starting to show. I don't mean to pick or be rude, but I'm going to ask you the same question which two others have been honest enough to answer: Are you sure you should still be playing this game? I think it might be time for you to move one, because I get he sense that it's no longer fun for you.
    Now go check how much content you got from rift in an equivalent 9 months with a massive expac on the way as well. Blizzard does not do content release at the best pace of the industry. I did move on. Better games to spend money on.
    The hammer comes down:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMan View Post
    How can you say they are optional... are you blind. I earned VP from LFR and Heroics but to spend them I need to gain rep with all these stupid factions so I end up losing VP because I have reached cap and don't have enough rep to spend them. I can't even convert them to Conquest...

So therefore you are Required to do them to spend VP and to get better gear which one of the core objectives of the game and to be able to progress further...
    But you're NOT required to spend VP. VP gear isn't required. You can raid and progress without a single piece of VP gear - early raiders certainly did. What you and all of the other whiny babies simply cannot admit is that you WANT something and can't just have it for zero effort which is what the tabard system gave you... equip a tabard, do stuff you were going to do anyway, get rep. What's that? You weren't going to run dungeons anyway? You mean... you were forced.... forced to do something? Oh god no....

I'd do the daily system a bit differently than it's been done (once you've unlocked a set of GL dailies you should be able to do it without starting at the Pagoda ones, Shado Pan and AC shouldn't be gated by GL) and I'd give rep for killing mobs in dungeons with a clear tie-in to a faction (Shado Pan rep for killing stuff in SP Monastery), but it is what it is. Stop. Whining.

And yes, excellent logic - everyone who disagrees with you is blind.

Deleted
    So, to get rep. You HAVE TO DO DAILIES.

Explain to me how that is optional... It might be "optional" in terms of whether or not you want to earn those reputations. But if you want those reputations then the cluster fuck of dailies is forced upon you. Yeah you can earn those reputations slowly if you want and that is indeed optional. But the dailies are NOT OPTIONAL.

I dont want to be forced to do a rep grind that takes a minimum amount of time. I don't want to be tied down to shitty dailies that take up all my time. '

I just have to ask, dungeons have been the primary method for gaining rep since TBC. Where was everybody complaining about being forced to do dungeons then?
    How many times have you seen people complain about dungeons in general? Because in TBC, Wrath and Cata I saw it every single day. But one has to ask why they were complaining. "Nobody talks to each other anymore." "Dungeons are too long." "Dungeons are too hard." "I got kicked because I wanted to do an optional boss." And so on. And so forth. The culprit that typically takes the blame is LFD. But the thing is, I haven't seen any of these complaints since MoP's release. And LFD didn't go anywhere. So here's the real story that seems to have slipped past you.

The vast majority of those complaints came from people who didn't really want to do dungeons. They felt like they had to, so they did them, but they didn't like it. They wanted the dungeon over and done with ASAP, to treat it like a factory assembly line and spend the time saved doing something they actually liked to do. Most of them didn't even dislike the concept of dungeoneering, they had just reached the saturation point. Too. Many. Goddamn. Dungeons. Dungeons with people in them who had no business being there, raiders geared to the teeth who had been running seven dungeons a week minimum for the last two years. Over. And over. And over again. The same places, the same situations, the same clueless chumps to group with.

Let me tell you something, after the 200th or so dungeon in every expansion I just stopped doing them. Valor be damned. I didn't get Burning Crusader until the end of Wrath, because screw Keepers of Time and screw Black Morass. I didn't run heroics on alts more than the one time necessary for the Dungeonmaster achievement, and even then it was only for the alts I really, really liked. Did I come on the forums to complain? No, I did not. I just didn't do them because, get this, I didn't have to. The greatest revelation of all friggin time. If I could come to that understanding then you all can too.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    My suspicion is their trying to shove people into raiding for whatever reason. Maybe cause you can raid once a week. It's easier to pace then giving people dungeons and tabards and rewards outside the raid. They really ought to just get rid of valor gear entirely form everything. Make it CLEAR as day light that's what's happening. The dailies can keep the BiS repices and Tokens and shit but if you want to get rid of valor gear then get rid of it ffs.

---------- Post added 2012-10-30 at 03:53 PM ----------

Now go check how much content you got from rift in an equivalent 9 months with a massive expac on the way as well. Blizzard does not do content release at the best pace of the industry. I did move on. Better games to spend money on.
    I didn't say the best pace, I said the best content. And from what I've heard from people coming back from Rift, the difference between those two hits on what Rift is doing wrong, and why you're still in this thread. If you've moved on, then why are you still posting about a game that you're burned out on? That's a complete waste of time. Go have fun in the games you got, you'll be a much happier person.

The problem as I see it is not that that epics are gated behind rep as that is pretty much par for the course for wow. The problem that I have is that even after I raised that rep in cata or Wotlk I would expect those items to be purchasable with GOLD not for valor tokens. This essentially creates a two tiered gate for your items. You log on and are presented with a choice:

Spend your time doing daily's and fighting for mob tags to get your rep up
    or
    chain run LFD/senarios in a effort to try and cap valor for the week. Which is also a kind of challenge in itself

I guarantee that by the time your done doing one you will not want to do the other. Let alone try and level an alt/pet battle/cooking/ect

I have yet to find a good way to balance this. I've tried queuing for LFD as dps while doing daily's but I don't feel like I make any headway in either by doing that.