Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

are you ok with everything being about gear?

Just like to hear some opinions on what people think of the whole gearing thing. Everything is about needing gear, to get more gear.

Do you think this is ok ? Would you prefer it being another way? For example, a fresh 90 doing crap dps compared to a 90 thats been raiding and getting the best gear out there.

It's the way MMO's operate, no sign it will change any time soon.

We do need some form of progression, some way of increasing our power beyond the level cap. Is gear the best way of doing this? Maybe, maybe not. But it is one way, and will continue to be used until something better comes along.

What I dislike is the complete fixation on loot some people have, to the point of nerd raging when they don't get it. Yeah sure, loot is good and you need to get geared up for raiding... but to get angry when it doesn't drop, or when someone else wins the need roll over you? That's just pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think I understand. Gear is the only way to progress past the level cap of pretty much every MMO. So if we didn't have gear of some sort to work towards...what would there be to do? What incentive would there be to raid or PvP?

Don't say for rankings, 'cause with 10,000,000 players, rankings mean nothing.

Gear is the incentive to keep doing stuff, like doing the raid every week even after the first clear. Without gear, some people might continue for the fun of doing the raid, but certainly not everyone. Keeps the subs rolling and stuff!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    It's the way MMO's operate, no sign it will change any time soon.
    Actually no... I don't want to turn this into a game vs game, but GW2 has a gear cap where, after you reach max level and get the gear there, everything is side-grades, not upgrades.

And to be honest, I think this is what MMOs should focus on, the fun rather then advancing through gear bonuses. If a raid/dungeon/event/etc is not fun enough to keep you entertained until next raid/dungeon/event/etc comes, then... the entire game is not truly fun, and the gear grind is all that's keeping it going, which is kind of sad.

There are other ways in which you could still feel you progress at max level. Types of rankings that give you some types of bonuses similar to those from guild rank or getting different versions of abilities that aren't more powerful then original ones but have different effects as to still make the people at max level feel they're advancing somehow but yet not cripple the fresh max levelers. Or different design in gear added more and more. There's tons of stuff that could help you advance at max level without crippling people who just dinged.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Actually no... I don't want to turn this into a game vs game, but GW2 has a gear cap where, after you reach max level and get the gear there, everything is side-grades, not upgrades.
    Well yeah, but GW2 is F2P. They don't have to worry about keeping people subscribed. The monetisation strategy plays a big role in how a game is played; if Blizzard tried to use GW2's gearing philosophy in WoW, they'd commit financial suicide.

Deleted
    I find end-game tedious at times, but I understand how its the way MMO's work. And if I really do get bored, I can always play an alt!

Deleted
    It would be better if we could just power up by doing daily quests instead of having to run those boring dungeons over and over again.

And to be honest, I think this is what MMOs should focus on, the fun rather then advancing through gear bonuses. If a raid/dungeon/event/etc is not fun enough to keep you entertained until next raid/dungeon/event/etc comes, then... the entire game is not truly fun, and the gear grind is all that's keeping it going, which is kind of sad.

There are other ways in which you could still feel you progress at max level. Types of rankings that give you some types of bonuses similar to those from guild rank or getting different versions of abilities that aren't more powerful then original ones but have different effects as to still make the people at max level feel they're advancing somehow but yet not cripple the fresh max levelers. Or different design in gear added more and more. There's tons of stuff that could help you advance at max level without crippling people who just dinged.
    Isn't this why a whole crap load of people played GW2 for like a month or so and then stopped because they didn't have anything to do? Doesn't sound like a good idea, works well for a more casual MMO that doesn't have a sub fee.

For me personally its not about gear its about the fun of progressing through raids with a team. As long as I have enough gear to not die while tanking heroic bosses I'm good. Id rather see other members of my raid team get gear.

I completely disagree with you. Everything isn't about gear for everybody. Everything that I want to do in game I can do perfectly with the gear I currently have. Big deal if I'm not topping charts or anything else. If I hit "I" I can que for every LFG and every LFR. There is no dailies that I can't do nor anything else.

It's purely a perception thing. People want to be the top though I'll promise you NOBODY else cares if you top the chart in LFR. Yes, in your organized raid people look at charts and care about min/max but those players CHOOSE to have that type of play style and that is what makes the game about gear to them.

Honestly, if their skill was higher they would clear the content! But because their skill isn't on par with those top raiding guilds they need the gear to carry them.
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...

I don't know man...but since Transmog came, everything has been about getting old items for me Gear just kept being the way to help me in raids.
    "DPS is science, healing is art, tanking is strategy."

10+ Year Old Account
    That's still something to work towards. That's all you need, is something to achieve that has meaning and improves you in the game in some way.

No gear requirements = no barriers to stop people just going into the final dungeon and killing it.

No gear requirements = no incentive to hone your skills with your current gear.

No gear requirements = hemogenisation.

The only place I feel no gear would be a benefit is in PvP. The playing field needs to be more even, so the good players can actually shine. Right now its just a case of 'who's got the best gear?' Which isn't about skill at all.

I honestly despise GW2's system, but it's not that far from what I'd like. What I wanna see is an MMO that's a hybrid between WoW and D2's itemization. I'd like to see, for example, an item from Molten core that would be viable in the latest expansion's endgame. I want a great variety of options on items that are not the usual boring stats, but without the randomization. That's what I'd want.

Every computerized RPG is about some sort of shiny. In FPS, its the guns, in RTS, it's high end units. In RPGs, its the gear and magics. The only place this is truly thrown out the window is pen and paper. Put the role playing back in RPG.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    The playing field needs to be more even, so the good players can actually shine. Right now its just a case of 'who's got the best gear?' Which isn't about skill at all.
    This works just as well for PvE as it does for PvP.

I've been OK with it for seven years or so. Guess I still am.

I'm sure there are better ways out there, but this seems to work for WoW. I'd rather the farming grind be reduced to collecting one set of gear per raid patch, but maybe the Charm system will alleviate that somewhat. Too early to say, really.

15+ Year Old Account
    RPGs have always been about character advancement. From story to level to equipment to alternate advancement it's all about advancing your character in some way.

That said, I wish WoW had picked up something simular to EQ2 or even Rift's AA systems.
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    The only place I feel no gear would be a benefit is in PvP. The playing field needs to be more even, so the good players can actually shine. Right now its just a case of 'who's got the best gear?' Which isn't about skill at all.
    hahahahahhaha that's all I gotta say about this quote. Skill will beat out gear every time in PVP. The reason you scream its gear is because your not as skillful as you think you are
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...