10+ Year Old Account

Just *finished* Rift Lite and a little confused...

I downloaded and maxed out the trial version of Rift. At the end of it all I was a little confused, specifically about how I've heard so little about the actual Rift Events and Instant Adventures.

I say this not to start a game vs. game discussion or anything of the like, but one of the most lauded components of GW2 is their Dynamic Events. For me, I saw Instant Adventures as basically being a huge chain of "on demand" Dynamic Events. Similarly, Rift Events seem to operate exactly the same in that they happen at random, draw in a group of players, and make the world feel more alive.

Anyways, confusion aside, I do have an opinion question to ask. I plan on subbing up for Rift tonight, but am debating on whether to just get the standard $9.99 game or the $19.99 deluxe version that has a bunch of goodies. As current/former players, what are your thoughts? I don't mind spending the money, but I do mind if the equipment can be obtained elsewhere in game.

(Also, HK-51 has already claimed my refer-a-friend sub. =) )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    I downloaded and maxed out the trial version of Rift. At the end of it all I was a little confused, specifically about how I've heard so little about the actual Rift Events and Instant Adventures.

I say this not to start a game vs. game discussion or anything of the like, but one of the most lauded components of GW2 is their Dynamic Events. For me, I saw Instant Adventures as basically being a huge chain of "on demand" Dynamic Events. Similarly, Rift Events seem to operate exactly the same in that they happen at random, draw in a group of players, and make the world feel more alive.

Anyways, confusion aside, I do have an opinion question to ask. I plan on subbing up for Rift tonight, but am debating on whether to just get the standard $9.99 game or the $19.99 deluxe version that has a bunch of goodies. As current/former players, what are your thoughts? I don't mind spending the money, but I do mind if the equipment can be obtained elsewhere in game.

(Also, HK-51 has already claimed my refer-a-friend sub. =) )
    Just thought I'd clear this up, If you sub, you can upgrade to collectors edition ANYTIME you want for no additional fee, so I would suggest just continuing your adventures on a normal sub, see how your liking it and you can upgrade to the Collectors (Deluxe) addition anytime you want =)

Deleted
    I'd say get the expansion + base game bundle. It's $49.99 and gives you 30 days game time to boot. You'll be all ready to go

As for IA and such not being mentioned as vigorously as GW2's dynamic events? IA was added in later as the game progressed. It wasn't a major selling point for launch - the rift public quests were. And those were heavily advertised. Frankly, RIFT has received a bit of an underdog deal in the MMO space and it's thrived because of it. With the first xpac out and their penchant for putting out content quickly I wouldn't worry too much about their advertising campaigns They seem to be well in control of where they're going.

Preorder page: http://stormlegion.riftgame.com/en/preorder/

EDIT: I haven't gotten the collector's or deluxe edition because it wasn't necessary at all. The items are unique afaik and can't be gotten any other way. As mentioned above, you can upgrade any time you like from the base game.

The difference is Guild Wars 2's dynamic events are the drive of the PVE experience. In total.

Rift? Well now. There's standard !/? based questing, mini events [i.e. Rifts], zone events [analogous to GW2's meta events], IA, dungeon and PVP leveling tracks, etc.

There isn't any one gameplay concept that drives the Rift 1-50+ experience other than; go do stuff. To be fair, GW2 offers some comparable systems to the above but it's pretty clear the DEs are the main focus. Other stuff happens around DEs for the most part. Not so with Rift as it has a more ala carte experience to leveling- choose your own method. Basically.

You don't really get the special editions goodies any other way either. They're not that big a deal other than "free" mount at level 1. Alternatively, can parley that $10 to an extra month of sub to Rift. That extra month will count toward your veteran rewards.

I don't really see any point in the collector's edition, unless, of course, you like to collect things like mounts and fluff. Or if you want to support Trion, which is a good reason too. But yeah, I'd say: get the regular version + storm legion preorder deal and spend the rest on gametime.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KtN View Post
    I'd say get the expansion + base game bundle. It's $49.99 and gives you 30 days game time to boot. You'll be all ready to go
    I'd say, an even better deal, would be buy the game for $10, then buy the year Stormbringer edition for $120 and get a year and the expansion and access to this final beta and the Landslide mount AND more goodies.

/gasps heavily
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I'd say, an even better deal, would be buy the game for $10, then buy the year Stormbringer edition for $120 and get a year and the expansion and access to this final beta and the Landslide mount AND more goodies.

/gasps heavily
    You mean the public one? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    The goodie that's catching my eye the most is the mobile banker. From experience, that does have a lot of QoL benefits...Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    The goodie that's catching my eye the most is the mobile banker. From experience, that does have a lot of QoL benefits...Hmm...
    Yeah, mobile banker is nice. It's on a 2 hour CD, but it's still worth it. To be honest, I bought both CEs so I could get the bigger backpack, the mobile banker, and the spider mount. The mount will come in handy for alts.