Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    This needs to be posted on the Battle.net forums, and bumped repeatedly.

Deleted
    I haven't noticed this, nor have I tried it.

But could it have something to do with keeping our multi-dotting (single application) strength down? I imagine on a 6 min boss fight the first 20 seconds of the dots ticking for 10% less won't be that big of a deal, whereas if you are SB:SS'ing the Ghosts on Gara'jal inside the totems, it would make sense that the dots aren't at their full strength, due to us being too powerful? Hidden method of balancing? Sounds like a tin-foil, I know, but I am just trying to come up with an explanaition.

This is just a wild guess (I didn't test anything) but is this maybe caused by Grimoire of Sacrifice? Grimoire of Sacrifice increases Fel Flame damage by 50%. Maybe when you refresh corruption with fel flame during a trinket proc, for some reason fel flame is boosting the damage of corruption by 50% of the trinket proc? (Like I said, this is just a wild guess that popped into my head)

Quote Originally Posted by KLPath View Post
    This is just a wild guess (I didn't test anything) but is this maybe caused by Grimoire of Sacrifice? Grimoire of Sacrifice increases Fel Flame damage by 50%. Maybe when you refresh corruption with fel flame during a trinket proc, for some reason fel flame is boosting the damage of corruption by 50% of the trinket proc? (Like I said, this is just a wild guess that popped into my head)
    No I have the same behaviour with and without GoSac.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    This still does not explain why we get the full strength Corruption when we use Fel Flame.

Besides that, the mechanic you mention is how I understand Ignite and similar "dots" to work. There has never, EVER, been any mention that our normal dots OR Pandemic work like this, not for all the talk in Beta in the theorycrafting thread. If it DOES work like this at the moment I'm sure it's not intended and it will (should) get fixed.
    I'd say because usual dot, and fel flame for that matter, is refreshing the dots.
    But pandemic turn it into adding duration into the dot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Pandemic no longer smooths the damage when extending dots with different amounts of spellpower.
    Could this be the effect we were seeing with this Fel Flame refreshing? Or is this completely unrelated?

Pandemic no longer smooths the damage when extending dots with different amounts of spellpower.
    Could this be the effect we were seeing with this Fel Flame refreshing? Or is this completely unrelated?
    I hope so.

About to test it on the PTR. Judging by the wording it should be the fix.

Edit: Yep, its fixed. Refreshing corruption now doing the same damage as fel flame.
    Last edited by Iraedey; 2012-11-03 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iraedey View Post
    About to test it on the PTR. Judging by the wording it should be the fix.

Edit: Yep, its fixed. Refreshing corruption now doing the same damage as fel flame.
    Was this also hotfixed or is it something that needs a client side patch like 5.1?
    Gamer, Nerd, Physicist. What more could you want?! Well fine, I have a youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/shaidyadvice and a stream: www.twitch.tv/shaidyadvice I'm currently spending my free time with the fine fellows and ladies over at Death and Taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by CDShaidar View Post
    Was this also hotfixed or is it something that needs a client side patch like 5.1?

Since it is part of the PTR notes it will most likley be part of the 5.1 patch.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Since it is part of the PTR notes it will most likley be part of the 5.1 patch.
    Lots of hot fixes are frequently finally listed via PTR patch notes. This doesn't sound like something that needs a full patch to fix so I wouldn't be surprised if this comes with the next set of restarts.
    Gamer, Nerd, Physicist. What more could you want?! Well fine, I have a youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/shaidyadvice and a stream: www.twitch.tv/shaidyadvice I'm currently spending my free time with the fine fellows and ladies over at Death and Taxes.

In the event that this isn't hotfixed, is there any Math as to whether it may be better to Fel Flame until this is fixed?

Also, this DoT "smoothing" seems to work in both directions. After you recast Corruption without an int proc it doesn't get fully nerfed until several recasts.

Quote Originally Posted by evralia View Post
    In the event that this isn't hotfixed, is there any Math as to whether it may be better to Fel Flame until this is fixed?

Also, this DoT "smoothing" seems to work in both directions. After you recast Corruption without an int proc it doesn't get fully nerfed until several recasts.
    The math is going to be pretty complicated as it's going to depend on the strength of the current corruption compared to the possible new one and I'm not sure anyone has taken the time to figure out exactly how the smoothing behaves.

Quote Originally Posted by evralia View Post

Yes, but I've done some testing and custom sims and I can tell you for a fact that smoothing is a DPS loss in 99.9% of situations. The ICD on procs doesn't let the benefit part of smoothing ever come into effect enough to be beneficial when you can refresh super corruption so often, the result is corruption losing out on a good amount of overall damage the entire fight. Its a very good fix overall.
    Last edited by Iraedey; 2012-11-04 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iraedey View Post
    Yes, but I've done some testing and custom sims and I can tell you for a fact that smoothing is a DPS loss in 99.9% of situations. The ICD on procs doesn't let the benefit part of smoothing ever come into effect enough to be beneficial when you can refresh super corruption so often, the result is corruption losing out on a good amount of overall damage the entire fight. Its a very good fix overall.
    Why can't you (on live servers) refresh Corruption and UA through Fel Flame when you have procs up, and manually recast them when procs are down? Since damage is (apparently) smoothed both ways, this should be a rather large DPS increase.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoboMog123 View Post
    Why can't you (on live servers) refresh Corruption and UA through Fel Flame when you have procs up, and manually recast them when procs are down? Since damage is (apparently) smoothed both ways, this should be a rather large DPS increase.
    My guess is that you'll want a single refresh via FF at the start of procs, closing out with a hard cast or SB:SS at the end of procs and manual refreshes between procs. The trouble is the math bewteen how it normalizes (presumably) only spell power but not haste or crit. Haste is easy to check but due to the RNG of crit unless blizz tells us it's very hard to generate enough data to find the smoothing mechanic.