Page 1 of 2
LastLast

So are melee screwed this expansion?

My main is a Feral Druid and I am rather good at it and have an ilvl of 471 atm and I can't even get into a guild run anymore let alone a pug as a melee DPS. At this point I'd leave my guild in a heartbeat but its the same with every other guild at least on my server. No one wants melee dps this expansion. I know this has more or less always been the case but this is the worst Ive seen it. Any other melee having trouble getting into groups?

Maybe they have all the melee they are going to need so it would be rather pointless to recruit yet another.

mellee aren't in that bad a spot atm.

for fights like feng ofcourse range have it easyer! but it's totally doable with a full mellee dps raid.
    it's been like this for ages. take DS mellee even got buffed over range to compensate.

still play what you like and if a guild is so anti mellee try asking them about combat rogues on guardians i got picked OVER A hunter because i can cleave 10x better then him.
    same for my buddy who plays a monk healer with dps OS atm.
    hes loving the feng fight seeing he can roll and teleport about like it's nothing. while range kept standing in the middle and getting lightning fist FedXD
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

Im a melee (rogue) and have no issue at all. There are a few fights where multi DoTers have an advantage, but melee isnt really in a bad place for any fight currently out shy of will.

Melee always seem to have it harder.

Guards - mines cause trouble as well as chains when they get linked to a healer or ranged.

Feng - Have to run from epicentre if its not interupted, lose dps when resonance is on them

gara'jal - Not the preferred choice to dps adds in the spirit realm

Elegon - less time on boss when they have to run to reset stacks

All of these aren't impossible to overcome but it's certainly not the path of least resistance.

Melee have always gotten the shaft, since clear back in vanilla when you stuck all your ranged in a corner the whole fight while melee had to run out to avoid things. Unless you're in a world first guild though, if you're a good player, you shouldn't have trouble getting a raid spot even as a melee.

There are two melee DPS spots in a 10 man. If you take any more than two you are simply making your life harder than it has to be, in-fact having a ranged heavy raid is optimal. Ranged DPS do the same (if not more) damage than melee and have none of the restrictions. The only thing I prefer melee for is interrupts. Outside of that.... Why bother?

They may have it tougher during the fight, but aren't warriors and rogues near the top for dps?

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post

Guards - mines cause trouble as well as chains when they get linked to a healer or ranged.

Feng - Have to run from epicentre if its not interupted, lose dps when resonance is on them

All of these aren't impossible to overcome but it's certainly not the path of least resistance.
    Mines and chains only cause trouble in those scenarios when either your tanks arent moving the bosses properly or your ranged are not coming to you for some reason

using tank bubble on the boss instead of at range negates that, and even if you don't, epicenter doesn't represent a significant portion of the fight, plus its not a DPS check at all (probably due in part to the fact that if it was you'd probably prefer ranged) and resonance I believe is not *supposed* to target melee. We've seen it on our tank once but other than that its always been a ranged or healer.

gara'jal - a ranged multidotting class has a *minor* advantage in the spirit realm, but not everyone has to go down anyway so this is a non-issue

Elegon - The difference is minor and can be minimized by bringing the protectors to melee and having melee dps break off from the boss to kill the add, reset stacks and charge back in.

Will - Melee dps are good for dealing with courages for which the range arent in position to get behind. They are good for offtanking strength. They are good for boss dps and gain damage for dodging correctly

HoF boss 1 - range and mobility issues are not significant, m/r should be equal

HoF boss 2 - melee can essentially tunnel the boss in phase 1, melee will generally see an advantage in phase 2, though when done perfectly a ranged has a miniscule advantage

HoF boss 3 - clear melee advantage getting in weak spots

HoF boss 4 - no significant range/movement issues

Deleted
    As a feral druid (383 equipped) I've been in for every boss kill and have been putting out some damn decent dps, on many bosses I was surprised by how viable I ultimately turned out to be after the first glance at mechanics, particularly Elegon, and Will of the Emperor. At no point did the raid leaders have to alter tactics to allow for melee to be useful, though that's really the bare minimum I would hope for. Once again the majority of encounters do favor range regardless of how melee players can make up for this, they suffer more than range classes do, this can't really be denied.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwing1232 View Post
    My main is a Feral Druid and I am rather good at it and have an ilvl of 471 atm and I can't even get into a guild run anymore let alone a pug as a melee DPS. At this point I'd leave my guild in a heartbeat but its the same with every other guild at least on my server. No one wants melee dps this expansion. I know this has more or less always been the case but this is the worst Ive seen it. Any other melee having trouble getting into groups?
    Biggest problem as I see it right now is there are three times as many people playing melee as there are ranged dps. Every time i put out a call to recruit for my guild, 3/4 of the people that respond are melee. I want to keep things balanced plus nobody wants too many people to roll against for their gear. I would guess most other guilds are in the same spot - already full on melee.

Deleted
    No problems at all, at every fight im in the top 5 dmg/dps as fury warrior in the raid (mostly top 3, but trying tp be humble). 477ilvl MSV normal 25man.
    It might be bad luck on your part on your current realm.

Atm ferals are very strong and all the other melees are average.
    Our rogues/dks are realy up to par. We dont use rets.

Try looking at your realm forums and if your not finding what you are looking for, the realm transfer might be something for you. Check realm forums/recruitment forums and introduce yourself. Thats how i found my guild. Best 25!? euros ive ever spend.

Feng is 100% a melee friendly fight.

Fire? Don't have to move or do anything. Spirit shield? Nope. Thunder/Lightning? All negated by the tanks, no moving. Arcane? No moving.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwing1232 View Post
    Don't know about the other ferals out there but i'm constantly topping the meters (post HotW nerf) and we add a lot of utility with symbiosis, tranq, and stampeding roar not to mention we take a glyphed 20% more healing and have 2 great defensive CDs. Feral is in a better spot now than ever before as far as i'm concerned, your either not doing something right or not looking hard enough for a guild or maybe low pop server, but either waty ferals a great addition to any raid atm.

Part of it is that there's just a lot more melee dps out there. You've got 4 ranged-only DPS classes. You've got 5 melee-only DPS classes. Of the 2 classes with both range and melee (shaman/druid), the melee spec is near the top of the sim charts, and the ranged spec is near the bottom, leading to a lot more people playing them as melee.

I haven't seen recent statistics that include monks, but in cata the most popular classes were Paladin, Death Knight, Hunter, Druid, Warrior in that order. That's 3 pure melee and 1 likely-to-be-melee.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post

1) You lose maybe 2 seconds of DPS time on Heroic, unless your ranged are 29058985 miles away from you. Mines are a problem for melee and ranged alike, just like chains, don't make excuses for bad play.

2) You don't run from Epicenter on normal, it's a wipe on Heroic if your tanks mess up unless a CD or two are up. The hilarious part is Feng is so melee friendly I'm shocked you even mention Feng.

3) Melee do just fine without even going in.

4) You reset stacks when you kill a protector.
    Last edited by Hayro1; 2012-10-31 at 05:41 AM.

Deleted
    Melee has always had it harder, seemingly every boss in TBC had some sort of cleave that would 1 shot any non tank melee.

Blizzard shoud make it harder for range by having patches of fire spawn under their feet periodically, have more boss abilities only target ranged.

Quote Originally Posted by Herrenos View Post
    Part of it is that there's just a lot more melee dps out there.
    It's likely this and well even if melee isn't that bad you still don't really want 75% of the damage dealers on your raid roster to be melee dps. A lot of encounters just still work a slight bit better with maybe a melee less than a ranged as there never really is a disadvantage to being a ranged but there often is a slight one for being melee.

10+ Year Old Account
    the solution to this is give me panda flying account bound so i don't hate levelling my mage. /thread

1. It's not only the job of the ranged to run to the melee on chains, make an effort and meet us 1/3 of the way. We got traps, slows, and some other things to deal with.
    2. Any player/role/class/spec is in a pretty good spot, assuming they aren't stupid and die in fire.
    3. tres.
    4. *
    5. I ran out of languages I know.

Melee have always been strong single target, and most of the time they are extraordinary on cleave fights. They are great burst, and they are perfect for taking out low health adds that ranged attacks don't always instantaneously hit (it takes time for an arrow to travel 25-40 yards to the add). I like having melee, just not 2 Enhancement Shamans and 2 other Hunters and 2 Rogues, a Feral Druid, and a Brew Monk competing on all this agility gear I want. I miss Cata, There were only like 4 people I competed against in my guild.