Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    So far, the only 2 melee classes I've enjoyed in wow has been Deathknights, and monks. All the others are either boring or to rigid to be enjoyable.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jn2002dk View Post
    I dunno. My 90 WW is ok and they do have some fun abilities but as soon as i log my kitty druid i feel much better. Can't put my finger on it but they are lacking something for me. Brewmaster is kinda fun but i can't help thinking i'm putting in twice the effort than i would as a guardian druid. Haven't tried mistweaver as i don't want to heal this expansion
    Monks are hybrid classes that are a mixed bag. They can do everything, but not as well as the other classes.

In EQ2 they're called "light tanks" as they're very proficient in fights that needs high avoidance and speed. But they could never match a Guardian or Paladin at the role of tanking. The same as healers, off healing fine, main healing they'll wipe. They usually revert to the role of DPS, but like DISC priests they're not regarded as a DPS class, either.

Jack of All Trades, master of none.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

10+ Year Old Account
    Im lvl 45 on my monk and i find tanking quite fun
    "BC was a hot chick that took alot of work but was rewarding in the end, Cata is the drunk chick that supplied similar results with less effort." -couldnt have said it better.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Give up trying to understand her, women tend to handle problems with emotion rather than logic.

Quote Originally Posted by aeser View Post
    i have played a monk, hence finding them boring, i did not level one to 90 and have not run anything with many monks yet (handful of monk tanks and healers, almost no dps) thus i said i don't know that much about them as in i haven't played one myself at 90.

my point was there is no interesting aspect about them to me, a personal opinion, so i was asking if anyone else experienced the same thing.

compare the launch of monks to the launch of deathknights, who were instantly the best dps in pvp and awesome pve dps and tanks and everyone and their nephew had one, to monks, which seem rather underwhelming, and it makes me wonder why they even made them.

what i don't understand is you getting butthurt by my opinion. if you like them, great! guess this thread isn't for you then is it?
    I leveled a warrior to 25 once. Was ultra boring. Had like 3 abilities. Never tried any spec but the 2h one, and mostly I just stood there auto attacking till something died then moved onto the next mob.

Seems like a dumb class, dont know why anyone would want to make one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post
    needs more complexity, needs more burst. Sustained dps is fine, just incredibly boring.
    Then I would also recommend more cowbell!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aeser View Post
    compare the launch of monks to the launch of deathknights, who were instantly the best dps in pvp and awesome pve dps and tanks and everyone and their nephew had one, to monks, which seem rather underwhelming, and it makes me wonder why they even made them.
    Blizz specifically said they were being cautious with Monk's because of how broken DK's were at launch unintentionally (at least so they claim). So if you are upset they didn't launch as broken FotM not sure what to tell you. That being said while WW needs work BrM and MW are destroying raids right now.

MW: Look at WoL and you'll see the top 100 HPS flooded with these guys. They are excellent raid healers and our MW is always top HPS every fight by a large margin. They also have a external tank CD which makes me like them more than druids in that regards.

BrM: Speaking from personal experience and logs they are destroying as raid tanks. On my server the top 5-6 heroic progressed guilds all have a BrM on their teams. I'm always very high in DPS (almost 60k in some fights) and take less damage than our warrior. We have a lot of nice gimmicks that come in to play that you aren't probably aware of (Like Touch of Death'ing adds on Gara/Elegon). People griping they are "rogues without stealth" is silly cause BrM's are tanks with mage blink which is by far the most awesome thing ever and I use it practically on CD on almost every boss fight.

It's cool if you don't like the class but don't hate them for false claims that they are under powered or weak.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

I play WW, and honestly, it's more fun for me than my past mains. I used to play an Enhancement Shaman and a Fury Warrior, and neither of them really compares to the monk for me. You can't really start to judge monks, Windwalkers at least, until you get Rising Sun Kick, which is in the 50s so a bunch of people won't get that far. That's cool, as long as they don't tell everyone else the class sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard did a horrible job of giving leveling monks the tools they need to level. However, at max level, (I played it on Beta, my monk on live is only in the 20's.), it was a lot of fun. Mistweaver healing had a totally new take on healing, and I feel like they did a really good job of making a "new" healing spec, rather than just combining few things here and there and calling it good. I haven't really gotten to work hands on with Windwalkers, but doing arena against them and watching them in raids shows me that it's really just another dps spec.

Blizzard can only stray so far from traditional set-ups before the class just doesn't fit in a game like WoW. I think people need to find the balance of "oh shiny" and "rehashed or old." Blizzard walks a fine line here, and quite frankly I feel like they did a good job of it. They didn't make Monks like DK's who were just OP for an entire expansion. They made them balanced, interesting, but also they fit the bill of what a WoW class should have and be. I think they're a fine addition.
    WoW : Burning Blade (H)
    90 Warlock, 90 Shaman, 96+ Mage, 90 Death Knight, 86 Warrior, 90 Hunter, 85 Rogue, 80 Paladin, 76 Priest, 70 Druid, 26 Monk

Deleted
    I lvl'd a Monk. It was an okay experience I'll say. Levelling went quick, but I reckon that the class needs more work on it.
    The class feels as though it was rushed, it doesn't have that general feeling that the DK had back when it was introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Monks are hybrid classes that are a mixed bag. They can do everything, but not as well as the other classes.

In EQ2 they're called "light tanks" as they're very proficient in fights that needs high avoidance and speed. But they could never match a Guardian or Paladin at the role of tanking. The same as healers, off healing fine, main healing they'll wipe. They usually revert to the role of DPS, but like DISC priests they're not regarded as a DPS class, either.

Jack of All Trades, master of none.
    You are aware though that we're talking World of Warcraft Monk here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure there are plenty of people who dislike playing monks..

Everyone has different tastes. For example, hunters were one of these most common classes in vanilla and remain popular to this day, but I find them incredibly dull to play. Conversely, I find monks to be really fun. So it is all subjective; some people love some classes and hate others. Why should a monk be any different?

I don't know how they are in PvP, but in PvE they are respectable as tanks, healers and DPS.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2012-10-31 at 07:53 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by kindomroll View Post
    I lvl'd a Monk. It was an okay experience I'll say. Levelling went quick, but I reckon that the class needs more work on it.
    The class feels as though it was rushed, it doesn't have that general feeling that the DK had back when it was introduced.
    Go back and play a dk at lvl 55, you have one attack... you get new attacks every level as a dk. If dks had to start at lvl 1 it would have sucked to play them because you would have to spread those abilities over levels 1-60 instead of 55-60 (or whatever). Seems like they didn't want you to have to go a long time without getting new abilities as a monk, but they just spread them out wayy to much and they didn't want you to have a bunch of moves that have no purpose in endgame play.

Deleted
    they have some great animations and are refreshingly fast paced to play, also the most interesting and complex resource system in the game. That's not really uninteresting, imo. That aside they really cant do anything other classes cant do better though, their mechanics will always make them second class warriors with leather armor and more cc susceptibility, so as far as effectiveness goes I guess you could call them uninteresting.

I've been leveling mine as a MistWeaver, and while not horrible, it hasn't been that enjoyable. I'm just now in the mid 30's starting to get a heal other than the one you start with ( and of course the melee) and its feeling better, but if I were a new player, or even a Vet looking to pick up healing for the first time, I could understand the feeling.

I'm almost to level 40 and I'm still waiting for the class to get some teeth, right now it doesn't feel like much. I have 10+ 85's so its not like I have never leveled, but I can remember when hitting 10 on other classes the spec you chose pretty much gave you that feeling that you were playing that spec. I've switched several times, and at level 10, there just isn't much to define any of the specs. That may be a result of the talent changes though.

You play what you like to play I am personally not a good or fitting healer so I choose BrM and WW as my specs, I will of course not go into why as it is my opinion, and I keep it that way.

No, OP, you're not alone. I find Monks to be very boring as well, and that's why I haven't leveled one past level 7 (I played one from 85-90 on the beta).
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

Deleted
    I have a low level windwalker but it isn't really holding my interest. Then again, melee classes never really have, aside from enhancement shammies. If I wasn't so crap at tanking then maybe things would be a bit different. It just depends on people's preferences.
    Last edited by mmoc0d440a836c; 2012-10-31 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bajskorv View Post
    They're the easiest class to play by far so that makes them uninteresting to the majority of players, yes.
    No, they aren't. Skill cap for a monk is considerably higher than other classes, even the devs recognise this...

10+ Year Old Account
    I really didn't like WW one bit, but I'm having a ton of fun on Brewmaster.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fps90 View Post
    Yeah, that's not even a little bit true.

Well they are very easy to play, and the dps priority is very uninteresting. They lack complexity and have a very low skill cap (though squeezing more dps through good use of mobility and ToK can add a bit of interest). So its at least partially true.

---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 11:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    No, they aren't. Skill cap for a monk is considerably higher than other classes, even the devs recognise this...

Lol, yeah I read that too, and thats why I now have a mouthfull of the coffee I was drinking all over my desk.

Seriously, are they playing the same game as the rest of us. I play a monk I like my monk, but its not hard and its got an incredibly low skill cap.

---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 11:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Savanni View Post
    Then I would also recommend more cowbell!

maybe I;m just being slow, but that makes zero sense to me.