15+ Year Old Account

Interrupting Mind Flay for FDCL and DI procs?

Is it best to interrupt Mind Flay as soon as one of them procs? Should I wait for the last tick before casting them? Or should I be using some kind of mod to interrupt it in the middle but immediately after a tick?

I've heard conflicting reports about the accuracy of mods that try to display MF tick points on the channeling bar, so I've been interrupting immediately for MB but waiting until the last tick before using FDCL procs.

From what I've seen watching streams, and kill videos. You want to save the first stack of FDCL. And ALWAYS use it when you have two. So that you don't waste stacks. This means that even if you have Mind Blast on CD, and you get a second stack, use it. If the buff falls off, oh well. You want to wait to use even one stack to get a second until 3 seconds before Mind Blast would come off CD.

If you get an instant free Mind Blast you want to use it immediately. Of course it is optimal to use it after a tick, but the possible loss of damage interrupting before isn't as much as it is to delay that Mind Blast too long. Some of this was from observation, and some from guides that specifically mentioned this mechanic.

I would try to follow this guideline and see if your dps improves

Get Quartz or Gnosis(my preference) so you can see your flay ticks.

DP+3orbs: Pop right after the closest tick so long as you are not delaying a mind blast
    Mind Blast: Cast right after the closest tick of mindflay - so if a tick just past pop it right away, but if it's just about to hit a tick wait till that tick then pop it
    FDCL: Cast after nearest tick if Mind Blast is on cooldown and you do not have 3orbs. If you get a proc and are not casting mindflay, do not cast flay at all until you dump these procs.

In general, for clipping mind flay when procs are not in the picture, you want to cast VT and other mind flays, right after the second to last tick. There is a bunch of math on this topic out there, but trust me it's true due to the refresh mechanic on mind flay, mind sear and other dots. Swp and SWD you should still try and line up right after a flay tick when channelling, but it is not as important because of the on hit damage those spells deliver.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would I want to get a special cast bar to watch mind flay ticks? What do these ticks do? And why cast procs when the cast bar shows them hitting a tick? Sorry for my ignorance...

during the casttime of mindflay id does dmg 3 times the times when mindflay does dmg are considered ticks
    when you stop the cast right before a tick you loose the time it channeled between the last tick and the new one that would have come -> if you stop the cast right after a tick you dont loose that time -> you dont loose the dmg you could have done during that time
    Thanks for that awesome signature i4ni

http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/characte...ck/Ravy/simple

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure if I follow this entirely. I can kind of understand but I may need it in simpler terms?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Damerflinn View Post
    From what I've seen watching streams, and kill videos. You want to save the first stack of FDCL. And ALWAYS use it when you have two. So that you don't waste stacks. This means that even if you have Mind Blast on CD, and you get a second stack, use it. If the buff falls off, oh well. You want to wait to use even one stack to get a second until 3 seconds before Mind Blast would come off CD.
    I don't really understand what you are on about. Is it glyph of mind spike you are refering to. Everything is priority based. Why would you not cast mind spike if you will lose the buff otherwise and you have nothing to cast but filler mind flay?

Quote Originally Posted by volcy View Post
    I'm not sure if I follow this entirely. I can kind of understand but I may need it in simpler terms?
    Mind flay ticks 3 or 4 times when you cast it (depends on if you clipped a previous mind flay or not).
    Lets say you use mind flay. Now your mind blast is about to come off cooldown. Instead of canceling mind flay right away, you wait for the second tick to hit, and right after that tick you cancel your mind flay in order to cast mind blast. Now you used your global cooldowns optimally, you lost very few milliseconds of mind blast uptime, and you didn't lose any mind flay cast time seeing as you canceled right after the second mind flay tick hit.

Quote Originally Posted by volcy View Post
    imagine this line as Mind Flay with each Dmg signifying that Mind Flay has dealt damage

Start cast (----dmg----dmg----dmg) end cast

The optimal time to stop channeling Mind Flay and cast another spell would be when damage has just been dealt and before any "-" passes by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for clearing my question up - that was really helpful! I downloaded Gnosis and I see what you mean by the Ticks now. I was playing around on the training dummy and it's definately a new feel on timing trying to cast procs while casting mind flay - my dps went up about 2k so thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    I don't really understand what you are on about. Is it glyph of mind spike you are refering to. Everything is priority based. Why would you not cast mind spike if you will lose the buff otherwise and you have nothing to cast but filler mind flay?

Mind flay ticks 3 or 4 times when you cast it (depends on if you clipped a previous mind flay or not).
    Lets say you use mind flay. Now your mind blast is about to come off cooldown. Instead of canceling mind flay right away, you wait for the second tick to hit, and right after that tick you cancel your mind flay in order to cast mind blast. Now you used your global cooldowns optimally, you lost very few milliseconds of mind blast uptime, and you didn't lose any mind flay cast time seeing as you canceled right after the second mind flay tick hit.
    I meant if the increased speed cast buff for Mind Blast, not the proc for Mind Spike.