Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

IGN gives Halo 4 a 9.8

Discuss thoughts.

Deleted
    I like Halo but WHERE IS THE PC VERSION! i know its an xbox only game but i think they will earn alot of extra money if they make a PC and ps3 version too!

10+ Year Old Account
    many people will go for the "Paid for number" comment. I say this is too soon to give a score yet, I think halo 4 will get a good score. But IGN came way too soon with this one.

No Tusk Club.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know what to think, to be honest. Really sceptical about Halo 4 and I'll wait for more input and for one of my mates to give the game a rating.

I like Halo, and remain cautiously optimistic about Halo 4. That being said, I think this is one of those "Paid score" things video games have been getting lately. Despite being five or so days from launch, it seems way too soon.

Deleted
    IGN gets material for their website from game developers. It's really not a good marketing move to piss off your providers by giving low ratings to their games, regardless how much they deserve it.

I haven't played it yet, but I do know never to trust scores on such websites/magazines.

You don't get access to early copies for review unless you suck up to the publishers.

Paid reviews technically don't exist, however publishers spend big bucks on promotional material and trips for reviewers. If they then go on to give a bad review, they lose those privileges.

This is video game marketing 101, and the sooner people wake up the better.

If you want more accurate reviews, wait until the game is actually out and then read as many of the ones as you can that weren't released early. Ignore scores as they are literally meaningless these days.

Early reviews are basically like the 'exclusive' reviews of old in 'official' gaming magazines.
    Last edited by ethzero; 2012-11-01 at 08:35 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostblade View Post
    many people will go for the "Paid for number" comment. I say this is too soon to give a score yet, I think halo 4 will get a good score. But IGN came way too soon with this one.
    They don't need to pay for scores. It's more of an understanding based on a common goal.

If anyone trusts IGN they are either ignorant or a moron.

To be frank, I don't doubt it. Halo is special in the fact, that every game in the series is a masterpiece. ODST was an amazing game for 20 bucks.

Looking at the narrative trailers for H4, it looks astounding.

1up gave it an A- either way it shouldn't matter. As a kid reading through PC gamer and other mags I figured out it matters more what they say is good or bad with the game than the number or grade at the end. I have seen some games with major issues get high scores and other games with not very many bad points get low ones.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    ** SPOILERS **

With the totally worthless ending of a Forerunner who looks like Voldemort and uses the force who sounds like Harbinger from Mass Effect, but Master Chief is saved by his lover Cortana.

And you only find out he's white and not even what his face looks like.

Worthless ending of a worthless game and is almost a the terribad level that Mass Effect 3 was.

Only way this game would be redeemable would be Master Chief being Duke Nukem that'd be lulzy.
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2012-11-01 at 02:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surreal
    grim toll is the worst trinket you could get for survival. Hands down Meteorite wheat stone is better than it.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard_fatman View Post
    1up gave it an A- either way it shouldn't matter. As a kid reading through PC gamer and other mags I figured out it matters more what they say is good or bad with the game than the number or grade at the end. I have seen some games with major issues get high scores and other games with not very many bad points get low ones.
    i don't think it's about the amount of bad points.

Quote Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
    You mean the same ppl that voted SWTOR the game of the year for 2011 which it was out less then 2 weeks for. Yeah they don't trade awards for inside press coverage or anything like that.

---------- Post added 2012-11-01 at 01:53 AM ----------

Halo might be great, but what IGN has to say is no more important to me then what a stray cat in China likes to eat out of the trash.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
    Trusting a review, psh. Possibly agreeing that it's good or bad yea, but trusting it, ha. I just want to see what kind of records it will break.

It looks good, but as I've not yet played it, I can't say if it deserves a 9.8.

The promised release of more and more co-op missions every week for at least 3 months makes me really interested.

I like ign for articles and trust their reviews for lesser known games but when it comes to big AAA titles I tend to take everything they say with a grain of salt. If I wasn't already getting halo 4 anyway I'd wait till other reviews were out before making a decision.

I just see Halo as sci-fi CoD, no matter how repeative it is with same old shenanigans, it still gets high scores. Nothing new to see here, sci-fi FPS are sooo 2003 with their plasma rifles, sticky plasma granades and energy swords etc. Story might be epic and that is why people even bother to play it :P.

PS. I've played Halo 2 with a friend once and think it was Halo 1 story with other friend, was horrible with pad and always will be.

You'd give it a 13/10, too, if you were getting their paychecks.

If they don't give it high rating they won't get early access next time. It is no secret that IGN is getting payed shitloads from the publishers.