10+ Year Old Account

Gemming and enchanting. Straight Strength or is Mr. Robot ACTUALLY correct.

So I've always read that it's best to gem straight strength in the past and that's what I'm doing now. Also I've read in the past that you never enchant for things like hit you let reforging take care of that and you get the dps enchant. And so far that's what I'm doing and I do very well. But I'm seeing a lot of people going out of their way to activate every gem bonus and actually gemming and enchanting for hit/expertise.

So what I'm asking did something change and I missed it? Or is Askmrrobot just silly (I've never really taken it seriously I just like the gear list it can make).

(note I do all my reforges with reforge-lite and I get most of my info from ej or common sense)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...iippy/advanced
    I'd prefer my orcs to stand up straight.

Yes, it is right. Although I am not sure about Enchanting 170 expertise / hit instead of 170 str (Normally str wins out) its better to put an orange gem inside of a Red or yellow socket than a red gem any day (well, on most classes). They doubled the secondary stat bonuses on gems (So you get 120 str and 240 Haste / Mastery / Whatever from a gem. So (for Ret paladin at least) We put a Yellow in yellow socket, orange in red sockets, and a purple in blue sockets ( hit / haste)

Gemming strategies have taken somewhat of a headspin with MoP.

Secondary stats (hit, exp, haste, mastery, crit) have bigger values than the Primary stats on gems. (160 Strength versus 320 Haste/Hit/Expertise/etc). This gets interesting for specs that have high DPS values for secondary stats (1 Str = 2 Dps, 1 Haste = 1.7 Dps for example). If you can get more DPS by gemming Secondary stats, it is definitely worth taking a deeper look.

As for matching bonuses and enchanting... It may be more of a AH/supply issue than an actual gearing strategy. Some enchants may not be available on the AH/guildies yet, or if they are, the mats are insanely priced compared to the 2nd best enchant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok yea I kinda figured it was something like that. But, over in the ret forums I've seen some people swearing by Mr. Robot. Saying that the hit enchants and such were better and it's just kinda weird for me. And I'll gem for bonuses of it ends up giving me overall more str than I could get with just 2 red gems. Or if over all I'll get close to the same amount of str and a lot of extra stats. Or to activate my meta gem. But, that really hasnt been hard since 4.1 I think it was when they took out the you need 5 yellows or something to activate it.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...iippy/advanced
    I'd prefer my orcs to stand up straight.

Deleted
    Well depends on enchants/gem slots. Like for the cloak +180 hit is the best, for blue gem slot go +80strg/160hit. And so on...

According to Sims, 320 Haste is slightly better than 160 STR for Frost DKs. Hit / Experise is practically the same as Haste because you can reforge Hit / Expertise over the 7.5% cap into Haste (we'll continue having gear with Mastery until BiS).

The only exception is JC gems, where 360 STR beats out 480 Haste.

Sim yourself, check stat weights. If 1 str > 2 haste, gem str. If 1 str < 2 haste, gem haste. It's that simple. Simmed myself a minute ago, got 2.62 for str and 1.29 for haste, thus I will be changing to strenght gems.

Quote Originally Posted by hunty View Post
    Sim yourself, check stat weights. If 1 str > 2 haste, gem str. If 1 str < 2 haste, gem haste. It's that simple. Simmed myself a minute ago, got 2.62 for str and 1.29 for haste, thus I will be changing to strenght gems.
    where can i sim myself (such a noob Q i know) :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Like everyone else's experience....I'm finding it sometimes easier to gem a 320 hit in a blue slot and reforge something else to haste than to reforge that item to hit, get less hit, and still be stuck without the extra haste (as I can't guarantee a haste gem for that slot if the bonus is worth it). So yeah with secondary stats being sometimes more powerful than primary due to the gems, you won't be gemming all red gems.

It's probably not worth going for 320 haste gems as 2h frost if you don't have a heroic weapon or the tier 2 set, sim it and find out.

Deleted
    Indeed best way is to sim it out. For me, last sim as a DW Frost, strenght was almost 3x better then mastery/haste. So going for just haste/mastery or even for the 80strg/160master-haste is not a dps gain.

That been said I don't recommand to gem red and not gain socket bonus, because a lot of socket bonuses are +strenght, and for the ones that has a yellow socket your best option remains 80strg/160mastery-haste!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperto View Post
    where can i sim myself (such a noob Q i know) :P
    http://simulationcraft.org/
    Top right has the download link, its pretty self-explainatory.