Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    You honestly think being hired by the company is comparable to asking for money up front to do your own thing?

And ag666 also has to go and dress the situation up as something other than what it is for their argument to fly. Like I said, cute.
    Do you have these words in your vocabulary: "indie" and "self-employed"?

Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    Do you have these words in your vocabulary: "indie" and "self-employed"?
    How about you explain why your example hinged on one company being hired by another when that is clearly not what is happening here?

Knock it off. Now.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Knock it off. Now.
    Didn't see that before hitting the button.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    How about you explain why you example hinged on one company being hired by another when that is clearly not what is happening here?
    That's called an analogy. Analogies are used in arguments so arguments do not look like "You are wrong".
    You claim that when someone uses pre-made tools to create an add-on to a game he didn't have hand in creating - when he doesn't work a normal job.
    Hiring is irrelevant. One can hire himself. Companies are irrelevant. One can be a company of one. Principle is the same. And that's the only thing that matters in an analogy.
    Last edited by Elim Garak; 2012-11-02 at 12:48 AM.

Being hired by the company that made the game is far from irrelevant.

If it were you wouldn't have had to mention it in your analogy. It sets significant boundaries on what is allowed and what is not.

15+ Year Old Account
    Pass, pretty much a scam. If I'm donating something to someone to make a mod, I'd like for it to be something new, something that really adds on to the game. Like these two mods that only costed the makers their time.

Going to freaking space.
    http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/23260

Or fighting dinosaurs in the desert.
    http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9782

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Pass, pretty much a scam. If I'm donating something to someone to make a mod, I'd like for it to be something new, something that really adds on to the game. Like these two mods that only costed the makers their time.

Going to freaking space.
    http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/23260

Or fighting dinosaurs in the desert.
    http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9782
    You see, to me, those are mods that would be worth funding. They're creating vast swathes of original content and new ideas.

What The Dark Brotherhood Res 2 is basically doing is adding a bunch of side quests. And some hokey interactions and that's it. Oh and some ropey characters that look to be using default model parts in strange combinations.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    What The Dark Brotherhood Res 2 is basically doing is adding a bunch of side quests. And some hokey interactions and that's it. Oh and some ropey characters that look to be using default model parts in strange combinations.
    And using the actual voice actors of the game, a significantly expanded questline. . .it's not a small mod by any means. But hey, that's why it's based on donations and not a fixed cost when shipped. If he doesn't get the money to support the time and investments (such as getting voice actors) it takes, it'll still be available completely for free.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    did you just call skyrim a shitty game?
    Did you even read his "qualifications"? He gives a list of B and C list games he was on the development team for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cudomix View Post
    He'll probably get cease-and-desist.
    That is what I'm thinking too. Surprised it hasn't been pulled down yet.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    All those so-called indie developers and other LAZY BASTARDS have to realize, that they don't have a free pass on Kickstarter just because people hate big publishing corps, and are willing to fund games by themselves.

Tim Schafer's project got funded because he's ALREADY a legend and made quite a few widely-loved and critically acclaimed titles. He had to turn to crowd finding because he had no other options, since the old school adventure games aren't on publishers' best selling list. The same goes for Obsidian's Project Eternity.

What the guy in the OP is doing is just making a MOD for a game. This is something modding comunity has been doing for years FOR FREE. I'd classify the thread as advertising, scam or whatever, and lock it.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

Not really sure that is the intended usage of kickstarter.

Deleted
    I call scam.

Deleted
    Not doing so well is it xD

Deleted
    lol i thought mabye it would have got abit of a better responce, fair enough, personally i would say that 40 odd thousand is quite steep, however if he believes that amount will subsidise him during the development, fair enough. Just to say, he did say that if he got more than his "minimum" he would use the money to better the mod by hireing original voice actors etc which is cool, atleast he isnt poketing it. this looks like a pretty awsome mod and tbh lets be honest, sounds better than what we got from the actual skyrim makers, at least this looks as if there will be a good bit more content after the shitty ending that is given to us by the skyrim makers.

talk about 1stworldproblems. that mod wasnt even any good.. rather bad actually.

Deleted
    @Himora wit even?