I am S$%t on Elegon

There, I said it, I am shit on Elegon. So now that's out of the way, what do?

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/s...?s=3333&e=3871
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ewind/advanced

Been over it since last night and I just cannot fathom how I'm so far behind. I get that it might be a sparks issue, that linked attempt had a total of 7. But I'm seeing much higher parses from people with as little as 8 but the DPs margin is quite significant. I just feel out of my element and am looking for suggestions. also aware that our dps in general is a bit, meh.

Ok, so I think i've found most of the problems. Look at your uptime on the fight, 96%, which isn't bad, but not amazing by any means, everyone else is 97% or above, and as a fire mage you should be around 99%. 3% is a huge deal. You can fix that by Scorching more, you only used scorch 31 times. You should be scorching every time you are moving, from pillar to pillar, moving to positions, moving in and out to drops ur stacks, anytime u cant hard cast, be using scorch.

Next problem, your rune of power up-time. only 55%. that is a HUGE problem. every part of the fights you can be standing in a rune. except when you are moving to postions, which is about 2% of the fight. You NEED to have that uptime of at least 70-80%, thats 15% less damage your doing 15-25% of the time.

Here is a log of the best mage on my server, I go to him for every question. break his down and compare to yours. Dont worry about gear and his dps. look at everything else.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...one/?s=8903&e=

I've looked over your armory, and it says your only at 14.**% hit. This is me assuming you have the 1% increase from draenai am i right? Other then that, everything looks good.

EDIT: Can you explain your strategy, I feel like that could be part of the problem as a group, and ultimately could decrease your dps significantly.
    Last edited by hendu24; 2012-11-01 at 06:57 PM.

No it is at 14.12% or w/e, that was after changing trinket after last night though I just haven't fixed my reforges yet to re-cap it. Log was at 15.01% hit. Interesting about Rune of Power, I do typically have it up for the fight and for sparks, not necessarily for the cosmic spark adds etc. because I am on the move. I also tend to not use heating up procs on Elegon during sparks so I have it ready to kill it.

That WoL link didn't seem to work either.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    No it is at 14.12% or w/e, that was after changing trinket after last night though I just haven't fixed my reforges yet to re-cap it. Log was at 15.01% hit. Interesting about Rune of Power, I do typically have it up for the fight and for sparks, not necessarily for the cosmic spark adds etc. because I am on the move. I also tend to not use heating up procs on Elegon during sparks so I have it ready to kill it.

That WoL link didn't seem to work either.
    Sorry, I missed numbers in the link

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=8903&e=9378

You should have it up for the sparks, Not only will it help you kills yours faster, but you can help people around you, numerous times will i get mine down first, and i can sit and scorch the other sparks to help. BTW everytime you kill your spark and the others are down around you, pump as much damage as you can into the boss. while hes casting his focus/draw power, the only time i stop is if its on the 3rd or 4th spark and I have a pyroblast.

EDIT: Nvm most the above, I misread what sparks, When cosmic sparks are out, ill rush back to my stacking point, set a rune down and mash my spells.
    Last edited by hendu24; 2012-11-01 at 07:18 PM.

Ok 120k seems a bit more achievable. I do find our overall numbers except for the broken warlock are underwhelming

So basically it's just uptime, uptime, uptime.

Uptime is everything as a fire mage because of our casting mobility. Again can u explain your strat, part of it could be hurting ur dps.

Honestly 120k will be prob out of your reach, mainly because of gear. Pharm is very well geared. Make sure you raid comp is set-up to give you every available buff as well.
    Last edited by hendu24; 2012-11-01 at 07:31 PM.

Doesn't really differ much from the typical setup from what I've seen. Ranged/Healers stacked up, what melee we bring up with the tank. Tanks rotate to clear overload, offtank pulls the protector to the edge by the ranged, dps until it's exploding, clear stacks go back to Elegon. For sparks we have 1 per generator, tanks floating around to help, then we kill middle generators>far generators>near generators, stacking adds to burn them down/aoe, pull any remaining ones to elegon for cleaves, rinse repeat.

ok, strat seems fine by me, small details make a difference though, for example, our warlock and I are on the middle sparks, the tanks help kill ours then we help kill the others, It dramatically helps and we normally get 11 stacks by the burn phase. Also with 2 dks, make sure they spread diseases every single wave of sparks. Make sure you have good timing kill the protector and going into phase 2, those 10sec of beating on him while he casts focus power is huge dps. Last thing is, make sure tanks meet at ranged stacking point prior to the platform coming back up, so adds can be taunted and AoE'd for quicker uptime on boss.

Yeah execution wise it's not been an issue for the most part. We've had good timing on transitions etc. It's just too damn slow overall lol. I like the idea of front loading sparks and then spreading outward, we'll see.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2012-11-01 at 07:42 PM.

Part of it could be your raid members too. hopefully they care about progression as well, you can only carry weak people so far.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-2t...09&e=7870#Feii take a look at my log, im currently ranked as 4th fire mage. I'd switch rune of power with invocation, also make use of that http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/u...idan/tradewind u can get nearly 2% crit which is alot.

Deleted
    RoP is bugged, if you stand on a Jump-position you will not get the bonus. You have to use evo in this fight if you only want to jump.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Logs-available

I gave a few good tips on that thread if you wish you could take a look at my posts there. Combustion timing etc.

Well, try dps Boss a bit more?
    From other dpsers You are spending less time then them on boss, which result in dps loss, since boss gains debuff on him, on the other side You did a lot more dmg to the big add then other mage, to be exact, DOUBLE more, so while You were killing add he was on boss ( and other mage main dps is scorch WTF ).

As others said above, its just good positioning and not losing time whit moving . I use incasters ward for this fight, since RoP can be buged for jumping tactic ( You can position yourself at the edge of ring and jump to clear stacks, its major dps gain ).

Look at the guy above who gave his "best mage" example - that mage was over 80% on boss, which is automatic dps gain he didn't even care for add (some 2m dmg on it) - try his tac. dont care about add. just nuke boss, and have your heart filled with joy of beeing top on dps meter.
    Last edited by alex14; 2012-11-02 at 12:06 PM.

Deleted
    I dont think that 120k+ isnt achievable with his gear.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/z...?s=4935&e=5450 Our try from yesterday evening. I have a lower i lvl than him an crappier trinkets an my last combustion was with a 90k tick on ignite where i am able to catch 150k+ ignites with no problems in the last phase

My Mage: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...3%BBe/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by hendu24 View Post
    Uptime is everything as a fire mage because of our casting mobility.
    I came here off the front page - don't normally spend a lot of time in mage forums because I don't raid a lot on my mage, but let me emphasize what hendu said. here. It's not just true of mages, it's true of every DPS. More time on the target, more spell casts or swings or shots, that's always going to be huge. Of course using the right abilities is too, but when I see bad DPS it's almost always got more to do with missed opportunities to do DPS than it has with doing the wrong kind of DPS. Learn to maximize your uptime and you'll see your numbers shoot up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkhtar View Post
    RoP is bugged, if you stand on a Jump-position you will not get the bonus. You have to use evo in this fight if you only want to jump.
    This, what myself and my fellow raiding mages have found out is that Rune only works if 3/4 of the spell is inside the bubble. There is actually a bit of a gap that you are unable to cast it on right on the edge so its a pain to try and place it down quickly. There is a weird quirk to Rune vs Invocation too, can't remember exactly, something along the lines of Rune buffs base SP but Invocation buffs current SP, that and its 15% vs 25% for Invocation.

Hey folks, thanks for the help and such. Glad to report Elegon died Still had some bad RNG luck with Pyroblasts on Elegon, but I had them for when it mattered in getting sparks dead, got 5 sparks per phase pretty consistently, so we're happy with that. Now it's just a matter of raising my personal dps a bit, one thing I noticed is that I seem to be wasting a few pyro's while he's immune, need to time that better/pay attention, raised my LB/RoP uptime to 70%+. As RL I do have a bad habit of minding what's going on with everyone else rather than focusing on my own, now that he's dead though (in quite glorious fashion imo...) I think I can ignore that and focus on myself.

Either way appreciate the tips.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2012-11-02 at 03:33 PM.

Deleted
    You should use Invocation for Elegon, Atleast in my opinion. As some have said its bugged so you cannot just jump to reset your stacks whilst using it. Though if your struggling to focus on your own DPS Invocation will only make that worse maybe . Raid leading is a curse.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicc View Post
    You should use Invocation for Elegon, Atleast in my opinion. As some have said its bugged so you cannot just jump to reset your stacks whilst using it. Though if your struggling to focus on your own DPS Invocation will only make that worse maybe . Raid leading is a curse.
    You have to place it *just so* to use the jumping trick. I can confirm that it works fine if you do.