Thread: Shadow Burst?

15+ Year Old Account

Shadow Burst?

There was a blue post addressing the insane burst dmg that hunters currently have and in the list of classes that are "under the eye" of Blizzard is shadow priests. My question is where is our burst? Maybe its just me but I didn't think we were a burst class.

Deleted
    Shadowfiend.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    There was a blue post addressing the insane burst dmg that hunters currently have and in the list of classes that are "under the eye" of Blizzard is shadow priests. My question is where is our burst? Maybe its just me but I didn't think we were a burst class.
    We are only a burst class if we have 3 shadow orbs stacked and use Devouring Plague. Otherwise, shadow is not a burst class at all.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Shadow *CAN* put out burst DPS in the right conditions. We don't, however, go from 100% to 20%. We go from ~50%ish to Dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    We are only a burst class if we have 3 shadow orbs stacked and use Devouring Plague. Otherwise, shadow is not a burst class at all.
    Shadowfiend + DP + Instant Mind Spike x2 + Instant Mind Blast + SWD x2

The entire burst phase while your trinkets are all popped.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post

Oh right, because that always happens.

Get real man, unless we are multi dotting add's mind spike procs are not that often that we can count on them in a kill phase.

Imo yes we can burst, but it's down to luck what we have either a) procced b) shadowfiend c) we built up 3 DP on trash. If 1 of a b or c are missing our dps isn't bursty at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexedlol View Post

Get real man, unless we are multi dotting add's mind spike procs are not that often that we can count on them in a kill phase.

Imo yes we can burst, but it's down to luck what we have either a) procced b) shadowfiend c) we built up 3 DP on trash. If 1 of a b or c are missing our dps isn't bursty at all.
    You only need 1 good Combustion to win a game. Same goes with procs, unless your games end in 30s.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexedlol View Post

Well not trash because they were talking about PvP in the post related to hunter burst where they said shadow priests were one of those classes being looked at for their burst. I just don't see it happening for us but I might be doing something wrong.

Your so-called 'burst' comes in the form of instant casts each on the GCD. That's hardly burst when most other classes' abilites hit A LOT harder per GCD than a Shadow Priest's.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

There are times when it seems all I'm doing is spamming MB over and over with a DP after every 3. That does huge damage. DI procs can be very fortunate with SWP on multiple targets. It can also suck, though.

Why are spriest complaining about their burst ? they have decent dots, bubbles, various oh shit buttons, can heal in shadowform, can burst with right set up my friend plays one and keeps saying they need more cc honestly they excel in pvp at 3 diff things self heals,dots,burst combos i guess they need to be able to do everything right?

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post

Or 10 DI procs in a row. I don't count that as good burst. You need burst on command not random burst.

I've had mages burst me down from 100% to 0% in random BG's with me in full pve gear (yes not a good example and I suck at pvp but still) in one silence. I don't think my spriest can do that.

---------- Post added 2012-11-06 at 04:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lowdiskspace View Post
    Why are spriest complaining about their burst ? they have decent dots, bubbles, various oh shit buttons, can heal in shadowform, can burst with right set up my friend plays one and keeps saying they need more cc honestly they excel in pvp at 3 diff things self heals,dots,burst combos i guess they need to be able to do everything right?
    Yeah we need more CC. One fear that requires you to cast MB's to gain shadow orbs and a fear that requires you to be in melee range. And a silence on a long CD. I am not a real PvPer but I think it just sucks compared to most other classes. Just like elemental shamans who are also very vulnerable.
    I never PvPed with a mage or rogue but I can just guess those are much easier in a random BG. So much CC. But what do I know...
    Last edited by Gilian; 2012-11-06 at 03:28 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    3 orbed DP followed by instant mind blast is the burst on demand that Shadow Priest has.

It requires a certain setup time, but once it's done you can do good damage (assuming you are still rolling dots on the target you nuke) within a global cooldown.

My shadow priest is running with 18% haste and 42% PVP power. On full dreadful geared characters I'm doing around 200K damage with the mentioned method.

Our burst is fine, especially in PVP where it could be toned down (which is impossible without hurting PVE).

---------- Post added 2012-11-06 at 05:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    Or 10 DI procs in a row. I don't count that as good burst. You need burst on command not random burst.

I've had mages burst me down from 100% to 0% in random BG's with me in full pve gear (yes not a good example and I suck at pvp but still) in one silence. I don't think my spriest can do that.
    200K Devouring Plague begs to differ. Countless times I've managed to take target from 100-0 within my silence.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    Yeah we need more CC. One fear that requires you to cast MB's to gain shadow orbs and a fear that requires you to be in melee range. And a silence on a long CD. I am not a real PvPer but I think it just sucks compared to most other classes. Just like elemental shamans who are also very vulnerable.
    I never PvPed with a mage or rogue but I can just guess those are much easier in a random BG. So much CC. But what do I know...
    You can take Psyfiend and voila your fear just got ranged. It's a bit hard to control it but it does it's work. 45 seconds cooldown on Silence is fine anything less would be broken.

And did you just compare shadow survival abilities with elemental shaman? Compared to shadow priests, elemental shamans are sitting ducks.

Dispersion, Fade, best off heals, shield, VE and on top of it Void Shift, if used correctly you are virtually unkillable.

15+ Year Old Account
    In arena when we're trying to set up a good burst, the way I do it is:

1. Strip target of buffs (mostly for reduced health pool)

2. VT/Pain

3. Shadowfiend

4. Halo at 25 yards

5. Mind Blast / Devouring Plague

6. Silence on enemy healer

7. Death / Death

That obviously takes a lot more coordination than pressing Stampede to win the arena, but coordinated or not it's kind of bursty - in a single gcd the target goes from whatever health they were sitting at to taking: VT tick, Pain tick, Shadowfiend punch, Halo at perfect range, Devouring Plague, Mind Blast all inside a second - and when that's over they still have pain/vt/dp dots rolling, a shadowfiend still punching them, and Shadow Word: Death's if they fall under execute. Now, even executing all that perfectly - I don't burst anywhere near as hard on my shadowpriest as I do on my lock or frost dk - and I very very much doubt we would get nerfed for our burst any time soon (if anything, I suspect we might get a slight pve-directed damage buff).

In PvP people are complaining about our self-healing lately, but part of the way people do that is to assume that if we were balanced around what is overpowered, other things would need to be nerfed to be appropriate - if our self-healing were intended we would be too bursty (or so the failed logic goes). Blizzard then is required to give a political answer "we're keeping an eye on shadowpriest burst" - what that really means is "we looked hard at shadowpriest burst and don't understand what people are complaining about, it's unremarkable - please stop complaining about it". Of course, you can't just say that or people would flip out, so they "keep an eye on us"
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2012-11-06 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Added a Smiley Face, Totally Necessary
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrion View Post
    3 orbed DP followed by instant mind blast is the burst on demand that Shadow Priest has.

It requires a certain setup time, but once it's done you can do good damage (assuming you are still rolling dots on the target you nuke) within a global cooldown.

My shadow priest is running with 18% haste and 42% PVP power. On full dreadful geared characters I'm doing around 200K damage with the mentioned method.

Our burst is fine, especially in PVP where it could be toned down (which is impossible without hurting PVE).

---------- Post added 2012-11-06 at 05:34 PM ----------

200K Devouring Plague begs to differ. Countless times I've managed to take target from 100-0 within my silence.

You can take Psyfiend and voila your fear just got ranged. It's a bit hard to control it but it does it's work. 45 seconds cooldown on Silence is fine anything less would be broken.

And did you just compare shadow survival abilities with elemental shaman? Compared to shadow priests, elemental shamans are sitting ducks.

Dispersion, Fade, best off heals, shield, VE and on top of it Void Shift, if used correctly you are virtually unkillable.
    Yeah, you are right. See, I suck at pvp . I don't know enough to comment here.