15+ Year Old Account

Who else uses linux here?

What's your distro and how long have you been using it?

I'm currently using Mint 13 (Maya) with an XFCE desktop. Previously I used Xubuntu, before that I used Gentoo. Been booting pretty much exclusively for 5 years or more.

Deleted
    i use it once in a while, but i dont like dual booting so waiting for enough funds to buy an empty shell for linux exclusive. (or just waiting for dads permission to turn the old windows xp one into a linux one)

i used to use ubuntu, but is there any other you would recommend for people that isnt tech savvy can also use like my dad/

15+ Year Old Account
    Mint's a good one to use, it's ubuntu/debian based and has a pretty nice interface. The latest ubuntu isn't bad but the default setup really needs a video card that can properly support compositing.

10+ Year Old Account
    i use Sabayon on my laptop, being a gentoo variant, its definitely not for beginners, and im also working on a building a BSD compile for it, but im having trouble with getting keyboard and mouse drivers to work in KDE

Deleted
    Well, I first started using Linux in, uhm, 1997, I think.

These days I mostly use Debian (and Ubuntu Server at work).

Deleted
    Dual boot Ubuntu/Win7 on pc, Backtrack on netbook.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ycarene View Post
    I'm currently using Mint 13 (Maya) with an XFCE desktop..
    Did you know you use the same distro and window manager as Linus?

I use ubuntu for my server vm's, does that count?

Deleted
    Been tinkering a bit with my Raspberry Pi which is currently running Raspbmc. I've also used Debian on it but as its main use is as a HTPC I stuck with Raspbmc.

I've also toyed a bit with Ubuntu as a free OS solution for office computers (been setting up kiosks recently).

I've messed with it off and on, and I might actually run it primary if Steam can make it a more viable gaming platform.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have a home server (VPN, mumble server, etc) running Xubuntu. Prior to that, it ran as a headless web server on an X-less Debian install.

Xubuntu 12.10 - mainly use xterm, screen, vim and a web browser and not much else lately.

I'm usually on windows at home, but for around 60 hours a week at work I'm running ubuntu 10.04

Theoretically I could update, but i have everything just so, and I hate to have to re-setup my interface and shortcuts.

My servers are all RHEL 5.8 and I'm prepping the environment for wheezy to drop so i can cancel that useless rhn fee I was forced to agree to. And since I'd be going from RHEL 5->6 I'd have to recompile all my custom packages anyway, I might as well switch to a distro I actually like, and since I don't have the balls to run Ubuntu in production....we're moving to debian.

Maybe TMI, but vodka will do that.

EDIT:

I say I run Windows at home, press post, and then my network stack throws up all over my monitor in a blue vomit with little white text particulate....sad times.
    Last edited by reikoshea; 2012-11-03 at 05:39 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Did you know you use the same distro and window manager as Linus?
    I was not aware of that.