Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Garalon spec suggestion

Hi, can you suggest me any spec for Garalon fight in Heart of Fear fight please. I have two specs affli and demo. Some says affli is more effective in Garalon fight. What do you say, and what can you suggest to do in fight, rotation and standing area vs. and talents.

To be honest, Affliction is kind-of more effective period. I can't think of any fights (or any reasons) that Demonology would take the cake over Affliction right now on any fight in Vaults or HoF.

That said, Affliction is better. When I was doing Garalon I was managing to DoT up to 3 of the legs at once and getting Soul Shards back via Drain Soul on the dying legs. Free Soulshards mean 1 GCD to apply 3 dots and more Haunts. And more Haunts = money.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep in mind that. But its hard to keep that DoTs up to 3 legs bc Garalon moves around and you have to stand under one of the leg in order to get attack debuff. By the way I can not manage to take care on DoT timers on boss soo can you tell me any addon for this?

on garalon you should have your melee moving to the legs while the range stand there and dps the body/dotting up legs only moving with a healer as he needs to be in range of the melee to heal them. so ur still moving but not nearly as much as melee are.

---------- Post added 2012-11-02 at 11:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Femto1 View Post
    To be honest, Affliction is kind-of more effective period. I can't think of any fights (or any reasons) that Demonology would take the cake over Affliction right now on any fight in Vaults or HoF.

That said, Affliction is better. When I was doing Garalon I was managing to DoT up to 3 of the legs at once and getting Soul Shards back via Drain Soul on the dying legs. Free Soulshards mean 1 GCD to apply 3 dots and more Haunts. And more Haunts = money.
    and i would say wind lord is better for demonology. once you cc the adds, its just aoe city(meta hellfire, felguardx2, infernal). make sure not to have mannoroths fury though. that fucked the cc up a bit when i forgot to change the talent lol.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

I did 105k on 10-man as Affliction. We oneshot him and I was supposed to take care of legs together with our DK (in 10 man) but we had a fire mage and a boomkin being greedy and sitting on them most of the time too and beating me on DPS as well (I think they all did like 128k, 116k and 111k), so I didn't really get to see the potential in Affliction.

I feel Demo is gonna be weak due to it's bursty nature and things having to line up for that burst to work. There's no real big benefit from cleaving either.

Destro will probably be the spec that can compete due to Havoc and Shadowburn. I'll try it when we get there on heroic next week.

Unless you're extremely short on melee or something, you should just leave the legs to them, since they can follow the buff circles around without losing DPS. Unbuffed multidotting on the legs is just stealing buff uptime from melee - it's still optimal for your own personal DPS, of course, but it's not optimal for the raid.

Not that truly optimizing the raid's DPS on the boss matters anymore now that they nerfed the enrage...
    http://wowupgrade.com/ - instant gear comparison for all classes / specs

Quote Originally Posted by Gobuchul View Post
    Unless you're extremely short on melee or something, you should just leave the legs to them, since they can follow the buff circles around without losing DPS. Unbuffed multidotting on the legs is just stealing buff uptime from melee - it's still optimal for your own personal DPS, of course, but it's not optimal for the raid.

Not that truly optimizing the raid's DPS on the boss matters anymore now that they nerfed the enrage...
    I did this fight as Retri before coming on my Lock and I have to say channeling with KJC during movement was easier than running around trying to hit a moving leg as melee.

So you are saying, just multi DoT legs and dps body while standing under one of a leg? as a quick summary.

No, if you stand in the circle for one leg you're supposed to attack the leg not the boss because you get the damage increase on that leg only. Basically if you have no roles assigned try stay inside cirlces to attack the legs while keeping all dots up on the boss. As mentioned before keeping dots on multiple legs is more likely gonna harm your overall raid DPS.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    people keep hating on demo for these fights in mogu an heart
    we havent done heart yet but demo worked amazing for me in all fights for mogu
    if u stack mastery and with stacking mastery u have to be perfect at managig ur fury
    but yea demo is bursty but it also can do nice multidotting witb corruption and doom
    u have a personal imp army with multidotting which i love and gives u great sustained damage and fury regen
    but yes it can also be a bursty spec using imp swarm and service
    but ive been using supremacy wrathguard and using imp swarm at beginning of fight at bloodlust and at end of a fight or when we need a burn
    but the point im making demo can great sustained and burst dps but it depends on how u play it and how well u kno the spec

We were having some attempts on this the other night and I found focusing down one leg while keeping dots on any nearby leg and the boss seemed to be ok. I don't think it's easy to keep all legs dotted anyway and I'd rather cast a buffed MG on my current leg. I'm still experimenting with it though.

I've also been using Supremacy and everlasting affliction glyph, however I'm considering switching back if we start to use a more stand-and-burn tactic so I can actually haunt/MG properly.

Deleted
    One more fight with "adds" that don't refund an Ember when they die with Shadowburn

Maximizing DPS is a nightmare on this fight, very frustrating, Destro seems pretty nice though (if you don't have to kite the boss out of range during 30 sec ~~).
    Last edited by mmoc8b57eca00f; 2012-11-02 at 05:33 PM.

Yes that sucks really. The thing is they don't die exactly, they reach 0 and the boss withdraws them kinda. Shadowburn should refund when a mob reaches 0. Like in the case of the pandaren students of Chi Ji. They don't die-->no refund.

well it's same for affliction and soul shards.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    No, if you stand in the circle for one leg you're supposed to attack the leg not the boss because you get the damage increase on that leg only. Basically if you have no roles assigned try stay inside cirlces to attack the legs while keeping all dots up on the boss. As mentioned before keeping dots on multiple legs is more likely gonna harm your overall raid DPS.
    standing still and multidotting is SOOOOO much better than running around and trying to stay inside weak spots. Only move to weak spot if it's the leg nearest u.

Quote Originally Posted by Isopahajuho View Post
    standing still and multidotting is SOOOOO much better than running around and trying to stay inside weak spots. Only move to weak spot if it's the leg nearest u.
    .... what? Have you done any real math to prove this or at least got any logs to show you're right? If we would've logged our kill I would've gotten rank 2 in 10-man and it was on my first and only pull on the boss, so you have to understand that it will be hard for me to accept what you're trying to tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    If we would've logged our kill I would've gotten rank 2 in 10-man and it was on my first and only pull on the boss, so you have to understand that it will be hard for me to accept what you're trying to tell me.
    It is hard for me to accept what you are claiming here about dps rank.

If you are assigned to kiting then I think Demonology will pull ahead, if not then Affliction.

That is until 5.1 where KJC will probably even make your pools more efficient with a zero damage loss for movement.

Affliction starts out way ahead of Demo for the first 3 minutes of the fight, when there's tons of leg and Gara damage purely from dots. Keeping all dots up on the 3-4 targets while moving all over the place required me to switch to supremacy for better damage control, but once that seizure ends and its mostly just 0-1 legs and the body, affliction falls down a bit, though that might be from me switching to kiting for a bit. I did see a fall from 120k+ to just above 90k as the fight drags on.

I think overall, Demo will flourish at the end compared to Affliction, with the current KJ cunning the end requires so much movement as pheromones fill the room it gives barely any ticks off Drain Soul and the dots themselves won't do the damage the movement friendly Meta and Soulfire spam can do, but the start definetly benefits Affy. Seeing the parses they are competing very well, so its mostly a matter of choice, and overall what your going to be struggling with during progression.

Or maybe you'll be lucky enough to be able to switch proper dps in for the fight and actually kill the boss before the fight gets super sporadic. In which case, Affy would definetly be overall better.

(Note: Haven't killed yet just observations from many 25man 5% wipes)

After 4 hours of wiping here I've come to the conclusion that either our tactic just isn't working or affliction just doesn't work that well generally. To begin with, we had our mages focus the legs down and the rest burn the boss, putting the odd dot on a leg. The idea here though is that we don't go out of our way to get into circles. I was doing 80-100k doing this, however as soon as we decided to burn down the legs I just got lower and lower and lower.

At the beginning we pop bloodlust, and I use SB:SS on the boss and 2 legs, and then MG each as I move around. Unfortunately though I run out of shards by doing this as we're killing the legs so fast, and then I run into problems later because I can't get the shards back quick enough to dot subsequent legs. Hard-casting dots on the legs is almost worthless unless you're in the circle. You have to run to each circle to get the damage increase, and even then by the time you've hard-casted your dots the thing is almost dead.

Moving to each leg is also proving to be problematic. I am getting snared and even though I try to stutter cast it's not always the best idea when you want to get a leg down asap. I really do think this fight gives the message 'you can multidot, but you'll get punished'. I've suggested to my guild that I simply stand and burn the boss, as we're wiping to the enrage and what my spec can offer is being wasted by minimising my MG/haunt opportunities due to no shards/hard casting dots and running around.

Any advice is appreciated though. I'm running with Sacrifice and have tried supremacy but if I'm better on the boss it's irrelevant.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/11lu7esbg3xu6k57/

I did wonder about using demo for this - however I'm a bit concerned about the wand bug.