Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Dreamfall Chapters is finally happening

Haven't seen a thread about it yet.

Ragnar Tørnquist announced today that his new company, Red Thread Games, will be developing and publishing Dreamfall Chapters, finally continuing the story that began with The Longest Journey.
    The rest is here: Keep The Faith: Dreamfall Chapters Interview

I know, a lot of people probably haven't even heard about the game, since point and click adventure is a real niche genre indeed. But for some people (like me) this is big and hopefully good news. TLJ is one of my favorite games, and probably my favorite adventure game. The story of TLJ ended on a huge cliffhanger six years ago...

Wow, a lot of time has passed, but Ragnar kept promising in his blog that he will definitely continue work on the series. For the last few years he has been really preoccupied with Funcom's (yet another) MMO, featuring story driven gameplay and player's personal quest lines (hm, now, where have I seen this before? oh yeah -snip-). In other words, he's been spending his time in vain pursuits.

But anyway, that's not the point here. Ragnar finally returns to his real vocation - creating the ultimate offline adventure experience!

Oh yeah, one more thing: if you haven't guessed it yet - he will be making a Kickstarter project, like, well, everyone appears to be doing these days.
    Last edited by Sj; 2013-02-08 at 08:13 PM.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

Deleted
    Yep I saw it and I am very very happy about the continuation of the story.

Can't wait.

For those needing some context

Been waiting for this news since roughly 3 seconds after I finished Dreamfall. I'm a total Ragnar fanboy because of TLJ and DF.

Never played the first one but Dreamfall was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Never played the first one but Dreamfall was amazing.
    In my opinion the first one is much better, so I'd highly recommend checking it out if you're able to find somewhere to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    In my opinion the first one is much better, so I'd highly recommend checking it out if you're able to find somewhere to buy it.
    So true, Dreamfall was ok but it poorly tried to incorporate some stupid action game stuff to please ADHD kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

It's mostly the same staff that worked on the previous two games as well. There's supposed to be some in-game footage released i think today.

edit: NOW the video loads. Spoilers abound btw.

And here's a great interview from RPS: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...view-part-one/
    Last edited by Sj; 2013-02-08 at 04:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was TLJ that good? A friend gifted it to me during one of the Steam sales and I have yet to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    Was TLJ that good? A friend gifted it to me during one of the Steam sales and I have yet to play it.
    Well, the story is fantastic. The gameplay is, well, it's a PC adventure game from 1999. The whole point of TLJ is to follow the story and live April's story. Some of the puzzles are pretty whack, and the controls aren't the best, but (to me and many others) it has one of the best and most original stories in gaming.

Another thing I like about the TLJ series is how well the female characters are written. They aren't supporting characters and they are not foils, they are independent and intelligent and strong; you don't see a lot of that in gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Well, the story is fantastic. The gameplay is, well, it's a PC adventure game from 1999. The whole point of TLJ is to follow the story and live April's story. Some of the puzzles are pretty whack, and the controls aren't the best, but (to me and many others) it has one of the best and most original stories in gaming.

Another thing I like about the TLJ series is how well the female characters are written. They aren't supporting characters and they are not foils, they are independent and intelligent and strong; you don't see a lot of that in gaming.
    I'll have to play it one of these days. Gameplay is kind of a big thing for me, but it's no the entirety of any game.

I'll have to play it one of these days. Gameplay is kind of a big thing for me, but it's no the entirety of any game.
    Well, as long as you keep in mind that it's a game from 1999, you might make it through!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Well, as long as you keep in mind that it's a game from 1999, you might make it through!
    I enjoy quite a few games people think aren't that good. I might be able to manage with this one

TLJ is one of my favourite adventure games of all time and while Dreamfall suffered from some flaws in the controls and a long wait on the cliffhanger ending it was a great and worthy sequel

my advice to those who have it is to play it and to those who don't is to buy it

Fuck yeah! Didn't even have to think twice about backing this. Now the waiting begins...

Deleted
    About time.

The Longest Journey series is one of my favorite. I absolutely loved Dreamfall and I've been waiting ever since to learn what happens next.

Hopefully the end result will do the series justice, and some more.

They passed $250k in less than 12 hours. You can tell people have been waiting for this game for a long time!

kickstart is becoming really popular nowadays. it's amazing that they hit around 350k just on the first day alone.

$382,620 and it hasn't even been a full day yet! Very happy with that. Hope they get way over their target so they can do the series justice.

getting a lot of interest and donations for a so called 'dead genre'